New Firmware on Foretec Star site

uksnatcher

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
no sat yet
My Location
UK
I am having the same problem after an EPG recording, no picture or audio on any channel and unable to open the recording. Turn box off and on you can get channels again but still unable to read the recording. Perfect manual recording tho...???

(Formatted fat32 8GB pen drive using rear USB slot, latest software on box.)

Has anybody had any luck doing an EPG recording?????

tjl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3
Panasonic LCD
My Location
Worcester.. England
uksnatcher said:
I am having the same problem after an EPG recording, no picture or audio on any channel and unable to open the recording. Turn box off and on you can get channels again but still unable to read the recording. Perfect manual recording tho...???

(Formatted fat32 8GB pen drive using rear USB slot, latest software on box.)

Has anybody had any luck doing an EPG recording?????

I've had the HD+ for a while now and not really bothered about recording on to hard drive as I read a few posts on this subject on this forum.which left me with the impression that it was nigh on impossible to achieve or more likely so hit and miss that it seemed to much trouble to do,I even tried it once bought myself a brand new usb drive plugged her in pressed to record only to be told that my drive was incompatible or something,that was enough for me after reading said posts not to bother again.It must be achievable as a few others have done it,I run the latest software also,but until Fortec clear up the problem en mass so everybody can do it then I will trust in my PVR to record any program on terrestrial tv and just watch the live HD transmission's.............Tony

PeterB

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Passion +
My Location
Kent
Tony, i think that is a wise move. There are plenty of posts on other Forum's that all say the same thing - If you want a guaranteed recording buy a proper box. The Fortec box is only really good for watching channels. This it does very well especially from multiple satellites.

Peter

tjl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3
Panasonic LCD
My Location
Worcester.. England
PeterB said:
Tony, i think that is a wise move. There are plenty of posts on other Forum's that all say the same thing - If you want a guaranteed recording buy a proper box. The Fortec box is only really good for watching channels. This it does very well especially from multiple satellites.

Peter

;) Maybe Peter we should bombard Fortec with as many emails as we can to try and get them to try and sort this problem out....T

PeterB

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Passion +
My Location
Kent
Tony, i know that Laurels has been releasing a few home brew firmwares over at Sataid, but there hasn't been anything new since Feb!!!! I suppose it was inevitable that these things get old and people start to spend their time on the next big thing.:-doh2

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Fortec are notorious for dropping support for receivers more than a year or so old - its happened over and over again.

If you are wanting guaranteed pvr functionality then buy a proper pvr. On anything less just be thankful if it works some of the time.

tjl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3
Panasonic LCD
My Location
Worcester.. England
Analoguesat said:
Fortec are notorious for dropping support for receivers more than a year or so old - its happened over and over again.

If you are wanting guaranteed pvr functionality then buy a proper pvr. On anything less just be thankful if it works some of the time.

:mad: The way of things now a days I suppose,but then I didn't buy it for it's recording ability or in this case lack of it,It just pisses me of that manufactuers just drop out of there products so quickly when a later model gets developed and there seems to be a latest model every day,I do not prescribe to the modern trend of "If it's new then I have got to have it"but more like " Sod it it's broke time to look for a replacement"....Tony

tjl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3
Panasonic LCD
My Location
Worcester.. England
Anybody else tried the new September 2009 update it certainly makes a change,its more a cosmetic revamp of the screen appearance for settings and info,but then I haven't looked hard into all yet

icarusi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortecstar Passion+
My Location
UK
tjl said:
Anybody else tried the new September 2009 update it certainly makes a change,its more a cosmetic revamp of the screen appearance for settings and info,but then I haven't looked hard into all yet
Pity they never give a *complete* bugfix list like other companies do, so you can see what it's supposed to do, over the previous firmware?

tjl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3
Panasonic LCD
My Location
Worcester.. England
icarusi said:
Pity they never give a *complete* bugfix list like other companies do, so you can see what it's supposed to do, over the previous firmware?
It doesn't do a lot Ic only tarts up the display.I prefer this to the old display but I honestly cant see why they did it when there are other issues on there,as I have already said about it's record ability or lack of it ,I would have like to try and see it work but every thing I have tried didn't,so I resigned myself to use freeview to record any progs that I may miss

Trevsat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortec Passion
My Location
Nottingham
I've loaded this, now all my favourite lists have 0000 on all channels has this happened to anyone else?

tjl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3
Panasonic LCD
My Location
Worcester.. England
Trevsat said:
I've loaded this, now all my favourite lists have 0000 on all channels has this happened to anyone else?
That is the unfortunate thing about factory reset,it cancels all favourite lists by that I take it you personally set these channels as favourites,alas you will have to redo them again,....Tony

multis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortecstar
My Location
Ireland
Hi all,

First thanks for all for the good advice I found on the site.
I have Passion+ Receiver, Fortecstar dish (FSKUVN) based in Ireland.

Ater much set up trouble of the dish I now found the best signal strenght and quality. 68 and 94 percent.

I did factory reset and since then things lookd wrong.
Pixelated Fortec star logo and green blocks around it.
Updated loader and latest firmware.
Did factory reset after that.
Have lots of channels and mostly good sound.
The BBC HD/ITV gives also no picture but good sound.
But all chaneels and loader screen , Updte date etc have pixels in green like snow on the screen.

Did I fry the receiver by doing factory reset?
Should the logo be nice and crsip instead of pixalated even with the coax cable RG6 not connected to the receiver? Hope you have any ideas what this might be.

Thanks again.

tjl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3
Panasonic LCD
My Location
Worcester.. England
:confused I can't see a factory reset frying your box, unless you have been taking out the rgs connector on the fly without powering down first,I know its been raised before but due to to problem you seem to be having is the skew on your lnb set properly as no vision but sound leads me to ask this,

http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...tar-lnb-fskuvn-icecrypt-0-1db-single-lnb.html

is there any obstruction such as trees interfering with the sighting of the dish,I know when I put up my dish I spent hours fine tuning it to get all the stations,I'm No expert but thanks to the people on this forum who are better knowledged than me I fixed all my problems,don't despair if they don't answer right away but keep coming back to this post and someone will be there to help.... Tony

multis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortecstar
My Location
Ireland
tjl said:
:confused I can't see a factory reset frying your box, unless you have been taking out the rgs connector on the fly without powering down first,I know its been raised before but due to to problem you seem to be having is the skew on your lnb set properly as no vision but sound leads me to ask this,

http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...tar-lnb-fskuvn-icecrypt-0-1db-single-lnb.html

is there any obstruction such as trees interfering with the sighting of the dish,I know when I put up my dish I spent hours fine tuning it to get all the stations,I'm No expert but thanks to the people on this forum who are better knowledged than me I fixed all my problems,don't despair if they don't answer right away but keep coming back to this post and someone will be there to help.... Tony

Tony, thanks for your reply
Think I sorted out skew as I have had in every postion possible.
Obstruction might be the thing. Most dishes I see pointed around are on higher ground and these that are low have different angle. Except one.
Might point to Hotbird when the weather clears to see if the issue is there as well

Sure the logo and start up screen of Fortecstar hasn't anything to do with skew? The appear pixelated when starting up the box already.

I have only sound no vision on the HD channels (2)
All other channels reception for both.

Regards, A

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
New Firmware (December 01) now available for each HD box.

Quote -

"Further enhancements to the speed of the epg are now available.

Also we are for the first time giving users the look and feel of the new REAL Digital service that is soon to launch."

tjl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3
Panasonic LCD
My Location
Worcester.. England
Thanks for that Lew,have updated and I'm impressed with having a full epg now straight away as before I don't know if other people went through this,but I had to change channels just to populate the epg one at a time...Tony

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Yes, definitely an improvement, I seem to remember having had similar problems as you, although it's a while since I played with the Passion to be honest, with other boxes edging it out of the way since.

Will now give it some quality time :)

tjl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3
Panasonic LCD
My Location
Worcester.. England
Lets hope the next update fixes the ability for me to record on to usb hard drive as all I get is the Fat 32 error

icarusi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortecstar Passion+
My Location
UK
Seems like the usual Fortec mashup of good bits and bad bits. It doesn't like my 2.5" IDE into a usb universal adapter but seems ok-in-parts with my 3.5" SATA into a SATA>USB dock.

The epg now puts the programme title into the recorded list and increments the title with '-1' if you record two parts of the same programme, on the SATA kit, but on the IDE kit it just gets confused and presumably overwrites the original, which is more like I was expecting.

Manual recordings on the IDE kit seem ok but zilch so far for timer recordings, although the VFD and OSD display perform as if all's well.

I tried the 'Freesat' (no Luxe HD!) and 'Fortecstar HD' settings but ultimately prefer the 'multisat' setting with my old list, which I'd saved to the P+ 'backup', USB stick and my PC, as it's easy to inadvertantly overwrite the backup and stick. I use the 'alphabet' filter for station sorting but it's only on the multisat setting.

The fast EPG on the Freesat and Fortec HD settings seems to work with your local BBC1 station as No1 on the station list, but for multisat only BBC1 London seems to work.

The old 'bookmark' system isn't recognised by the new firmware. The 8x FF can ultimately lockup the P+ needing a hard reset, which is new to me. 4x seems ok though.

I'll try some timed recordings on the SATA kit to see how it compares to my IDE kit. I suspect Fortec have sharpened up some timings to work with faster newer drives, so legacy kit like my IDE, which worked ok with the previous firmware, is left wanting, or it could be just the usual Fortec lack of comprehensive testing.

The 'now and next' display will extend to all items on the EPG for that channel. You can use the back arrow if you haven't passed the last item, otherwise you need to go forward again. It's useful for setting up time recordings without exiting the current programme (if it works).