!New Images Guys!

zanders

Reaction score
My Location
Hampshire, UK
I was wondering if anyone had bitten the bullet and tried some of the new images available?

hydra7000_helena_108_1.img
108.1_rd_v20040904.0300.img
sf_img_v108_1_3108.img
rel108_1.img

Just curious - as I will be trying but I did not want to trash my box.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Unfortunately no, got Black Tiger working to my satisfaction (or nearly) and don't want to budge for the moment. :)

zanders

Reaction score
My Location
Hampshire, UK
I was thinking of loading my dreambox with the multiple hard drive images option but I am not sure if I need to re-format my hard drive to accomplish this.

I really do not fancy doing that at this stage.

am I right about the re-format or am I talking out of my b*ckside?

Hopefully the latter!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not sure, but if you need a swap file to operate that function, then you will probably need to. Was going to get a USB memory stick to achieve a similar result.

zanders

Reaction score
My Location
Hampshire, UK
You cannot run a HDD and USB memory stick at the same time though can you?

Limitation in the kernel.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
zanders said:

Don't know zanders, haven't tried it yet. :) I am at the beginning of a lengthy journey. :D

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
zanders said:

I think you're right. I think that's also true of the compactflash module as well. Only one bootable device allowed AFAIK.

djlemur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7000 + 300Gb + Gemini, HH100 Rotor, 0.8m Offset Dish, 0.3db Invacom LNB
My Location
Hampshire, UK
zanders said:
I was wondering if anyone had bitten the bullet and tried some of the new images available?
Well I tried the Hydra Helena and it lasted a good 15mins (and 15 reboots) before I blew it away back to Olympia. Enigma just quits when you channel zap.
However, I notice that there is a new Hydra_Achilies build out today where they have regressed back to kernel base 1.08 from 1.08.1...
Maybe I'll give that a try.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
djlemur said:
Well I tried the Hydra Helena and it lasted a good 15mins (and 15 reboots) before I blew it away back to Olympia. Enigma just quits when you channel zap.
However, I notice that there is a new Hydra_Achilies build out today where they have regressed back to kernel base 1.08 from 1.08.1...
Maybe I'll give that a try.

I am trying the latest Terminator Image. I am of course having it for the 5620, but until today by far the most stable image I have ever tried. Amd believe me, I have tried them all!!
May be worth trying if you find it anywhere...

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
You cannot partition a hard drive without reformatting - unless this is unique to Linux!

You could back up you data to PC and reformat - set up different partitions on the drive and load the images into each for testing - each time you reboot as long as you have a working OS on each partition then you can test them.

If it doesn't work go back and boot from the working image then delete the bad one - no harm done.

Does this make sense? or am I talking ****?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
You cutting edge people you...

I've just gone 'backwards' to Black Tiger V3 (based on Enigma 1.07) with newcamd V5.16 on top.

Atlantis 1.08 Final went pants on me when I got to 11 s*ftCAMs! Kept falling over in the s*ftCAM setup menu.

I like BT3, though updating keys etc. manually is a bit of a pain. It seems stonkingly stable with just newcamd and an XXX version of SCAM. The former does everything I want though, so that's V cool.

Anyone know where to change the emu name that gets displayed at the bottom of the screen? I found it once, but now it's lost in the depths of time....

djlemur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire, UK
BGonaSTICK said:
Atlantis 1.08 Final went pants on me when I got to 11 s*ftCAMs! Kept falling over in the s*ftCAM setup menu.
The "achillies heel" is the /var filesystem which only has 1.8M allocated to it in flash. As all the keys/channels/softcams/plugins/config have to fit in this it quickly fills up leaving you with a stuffed system. Try typing "df -h" and see how full it is!
The newest Hydra image has a facility to transfer the entire /var filesystem to /hdd which should workaround this issue.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
djlemur said:
The "achillies heel" is the /var filesystem which only has 1.8M allocated to it in flash. As all the keys/channels/softcams/plugins/config have to fit in this it quickly fills up leaving you with a stuffed system. Try typing "df -h" and see how full it is!
The newest Hydra image has a facility to transfer the entire /var filesystem to /hdd which should workaround this issue.
Good answer!

Which Hydra image has this facility (not that I would ever contemplate putting that many CAM's on again!)?

Mmmm, got to go and re-learn some basic Telnet stuff now then have I?
Been a long time... :)

HamBone

Reaction score
Hello Everyone.
1st I would like to thank anyone who can HELP. I want to load the new Image on my DB. Now The Box will only DISPLAY Dream Multimedia. The Remote will not work neither will the On and Off Button. I have done a Boot Reload. What can be the Problem. Will I have too send the Box back to MFG?????????

Thanks HamBone

djlemur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire, UK
HamBone said:
Hello Everyone.
Now The Box will only DISPLAY Dream Multimedia.
As long as the box displays the logo on power up you can use the NULL modem cable + dreamUp to install a new image (see instructions and software at http://www.dm7000.com)
FWIW, I find that if you ALSO plug in a network cable and tick the use network box, this is faster and more robust than using dreamUpLan :)

djlemur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire, UK
BGonaSTICK said:
Which Hydra image has this facility ...
The hydra image "homepage" that I use is located at http://www.dreambox.net.au/firmware.php

The latest version is appropriately named Achilles :)

I haven't tried it yet (although it is getting good press) as I have been getting to grips with my new dish/rotator setup that I installed on saturday. Only blooper was that I forgot to buy a Signal strength Meter and had to use the DM7000 to locate the satellite string!

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Found this 256 mb USB memory stick that you can load new images on and use to boot from.

If image is no good go back and boot from original!

Euro 59 approx £40

http://www.sat-dream.de/eShop/pd1081456744.htm?categoryId=4

Anyone got one or hear about it?

If this is a normal USB stick you should be able to get one cheaper!

Try:
http://www.pless.co.uk
Download the pdf pricelist -
USB 256 - £25
USB2 512 - £53
USB 1 gig - £82

Check out their other prices - they're just up the road from me and the price are always good!

HamBone

Reaction score
djlemur Thanks for your HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Box is back ALIVE. I was going CRAZY. Thanks for the FAST Response. Now just gotta get the rest working.

djlemur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hampshire, UK
HamBone said:
The Box is back ALIVE.
Glad to hear it.
I recommend you to have a good read of T_G's FAQ (a.k.a Idiot Guide Mk II) in this forum. I did, and learned some new stuff even though I have used/owned the box for a year!