New Italian Service Tivusat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish pointing to Hotbird Satellite with receiver.
My Location
UK, Wales, Newport
I've heard Italy will be switching to a service called tivusat soon. I understand it will still be on the hotbird satellite.

I was wondering, if I get a box and card from Italy, will I be able to use it over here, and also watch football that would usually be encrypted but because I have a card I can watch it? Because I have a card and box from Italy will I be able to get around the Irdeto system?

Thanks!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The PSB channels belonging to RAI & Mediaset will be joining the Tivusat platform (plus any other channels that wish to join them)

If you pick a box and card up from Italy theres no reason why you shouldnt have full access to the Tivu channels.

DONT expect all the Sky Calcio channels to be joining - this is an additional service along the lines ofthe UK's Freesat - its NOT a replacement for Sky Italia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish pointing to Hotbird Satellite with receiver.
My Location
UK, Wales, Newport
Brilliant, thanks for the answer!

I currently have a box with satellite pointing to hotbird and I get the current ftv channels. Will I still be able to use this box or will I need to change to tivusat?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Chances are you will need to buy the dedicated receiver, although we dont know for certain yet

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Analoguesat said:
Chances are you will need to buy the dedicated receiver, although we dont know for certain yet

Italy’s new digital satellite TV platform, Tivù Sat, will launch on July 31, with 19 TV channels provided by the country’s leading broadcasters.

"In order to receive the Tivù Sat offer, viewers will need to acquire a satellite dish, pointed at the 13° East orbital position, as well as the Tivù Sat digital box (bundled with the smart card), available from mid-July and costing around E100. Viewers already equipped with a Nagravision satellite receiver can request a dedicated smart card from RAI, paying only postage costs. Furthermore, conditional access modules (CAMs) will be on sale from 2010, which will enable reception on many of the existing digital satellite receivers on the market.

The line-up will include 10 channels from public broadcaster RAI (Rai Uno, Rai Due, Rai Tre, Rai4, Rai Gulp, Rai Gulp +1, Rai Sport +, RaiNews24, Rai Storia and Rai Edu 1); 7 channels from commercial broadcaster Mediaset (Canale 5, Rete 4, Italia 1, Iris, Boing, Boing+1 and Mediashopping); as well as La7 and Sat 2000. A package of HD channels will be added later on.

A decision has yet to be made by the broadcasters whether all or part of the programming (for which the foreign TV rights have not been acquired) will be encrypted. Mediaset has already made known it is likely to scramble its most watched TV channel, Canale 5.

RAI and Mediaset each have 48 per cent in the new venture, while Telecom Italia Media has the remaining 4 per cent
"

"Launch" is probably an exaggeration ................ certainly there was/is no great ceremony.

A bit like our UK Freesat, not a lot actually happened!

But give it time.

As I understand it, dedicated Receivers are still as rare as rocking-horse poo and even if you can lay your hands on one, activation of the Card will require an Italian TV Licence.

Purely in the interest of experimentation, you understand, I shall try to acquire one via the wife's family who live in t'hills near Rome. Don't know when, though: It seems there is no hurry.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Just been playing with my new Bing Browser Extension for Firefox: Putting Tivù into the search field brings up "Terrorism and International Victims Unit"

Somewhat unfortunate! :D