New planet could be where those aliens live

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
I was watching the news with my mum, and we saw that snippet about the new planet being discovered. Would take 20 light years to get there, but a 100 years by conventional rockets.

It could be done if we had a mini earth inside our spacecraft where we could grow food, raise livestock, bring up kids, etc. And we were able to make the spaceship's energy go in a loop.

Anyhow, my mum said, she wouldn't be surprised that's where those big, black eyed aliens live, who visit earth all the time.

And I think she's right. :D

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Some aliens post on here ;)

I don't think 100 years is feasible for a 20 light year journey, even with the fastest conventional stuff, even with the best possible gravitational flyby round Jupiter.

_http://www.spaceflightnow.com/atlas/av010/060119launch.html

But if they could achieve a second slingshot flyby round the Sun......

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Saturlight said:
...It could be done if we had a mini earth inside our spacecraft where we could grow food, raise livestock, bring up kids, etc. And we were able to make the spaceship's energy go in a loop...

That's been tried in closed environments on earth - look "biosphere" up online.

Something like $200million was spent on it and two attempts were made for people to live in a completely closed environment, things died, the people didn't have enough food, oxygen levels fell so low that extra was pumped in from the outside. It's a nice idea - but seemingly much more complicated to maintain a stable environment that was previously thought.

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
The 100-year travel calculation was made by a professor on the telly. As regards, the other technical stuff, I give in - you know a lot better than me. :) OK. :D

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
PoloMint said:
That's been tried in closed environments on earth - look "biosphere" up online.

Something like $200million was spent on it and two attempts were made for people to live in a completely closed environment, things died, the people didn't have enough food, oxygen levels fell so low that extra was pumped in from the outside. It's a nice idea - but seemingly much more complicated to maintain a stable environment that was previously thought.

That failed because of poor planning and the over-use of concrete which excreted a lot of CO2, the seals on the windows breaking which let in outside insects and things which destroyed the eco-system which completely mucked things up inside the biosphere...

If they tried again using better materials and careful planning of what plants & organisms (not to be confused with orgasms) they populated with and with proper quarantining prior to chucking people in then I believe that it would be a success... :)

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Yea, in perfectly controlled situations with all the right things it will work (as 'earth' works). One of the theories behind the biosphere was that ecosystems self maintain and can adapt to quite drastic changes, I think it was privately funded as no research body would pay to test this theory, maybe not.

Anyway the biosphere experiments highlighted that ecosystems are quite difficult to recreate, and don't self maintain in the ways some thought, you wouldn't want to be half a million miles away from earth and discover that some seal was letting o2 out due to some unforeseen reaction, or the rats were mysteriously dying and so the whole ecosystem was going to fall apart.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
PoloMint said:
you wouldn't want to be half a million miles away from earth and discover that some seal was letting o2 out due to some unforeseen reaction, or the rats were mysteriously dying and so the whole ecosystem was going to fall apart.

What if they are not "mysteriously dying" but someone or something is eating them??

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
biological entities are not suited for living outside their own biosphere. Space is too harsh an environment to sustain any but the most fundamental life mechanisms for an elongated period of time.
I think we'll be lucky if we'll get to Mars one day - that's it.
ANY cockup is usually fatal in space, and there's no-one you can turn to over there. Besides, 100 years, that's 2 generations - one way. It is very probably that we won't be able to survive on that planet, so they'll have to come back, that's another 100 years or 2 generations. And after 4 generations in space, it's not certain they'll be able to survive in our environment once they come back - their bodies may have become too adapted to live in space.
No, thank you, I'll be watching from a distance.

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
I hope they stay there

It is a dwarf sun, red and not that hot as ours

and BIG

so I guess they are dwarfs, just to overlive the gravitation:-rofl2

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Or, they are vastly advanced and are reading this with their ultra atomic particle telescope and will abduct all of you who mock them and stick probes up orifices and giggle "who is a dwarf now, eartman?"

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
Sh!t, can I change my last post ????

I think they are tall and very handsom, all of them. and clever ´polite and very kind

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
dig deep said:
I hope they stay there

It is a dwarf sun, red and not that hot as ours

and BIG

so I guess they are dwarfs, just to overlive the gravitation:-rofl2

So what you have against dwarf aliens? :mad: ;) They're cute, man! :D :D

member91040

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DISH TV,DIRECT DD+,
TATA SKY,HATHWAY,
NOKIA 9660S,
PCI SAT CARD TWINHAN NSS6, PAS7/10, ASIASAT3S, INSAT,INETEL SAT, EUROSTAR, DremBox, & Multi LNB'S
My Location
INDIA
They are like Us...! I had seen one of them, tom cruise.

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
That's the reason we need to transport faster than light to even find life at distant worlds.

Whatever some people think i beleive we WILL travels faster than light in the future, maybe in 20 million years from now but technology never stand still and the law of physics can be changed by applying different theorems.

Just because there are physiscs laws that says otherwise now against lightspeed i strongly beleive the scientists will find other ways for us to transport faster than light and one time in the future Einsteins laws will be old news.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
It is already possible, I saw it on Startreck and Red Dwarf, it is called Warp Drive.

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
member91040 said:
They are like Us...! I had seen one of them, tom cruise.

It's not true Tom Cruise is short. He's actually 6 feet 2 but works with taller actors. :-rofl2 :D

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
T_G said:
It is already possible, I saw it on Startreck and Red Dwarf, it is called Warp Drive.

I am pretty sure that one time in the future we will have spacecrafts like Star Trek Enterprise that can take us to distant worlds at speeds faster than light.

It's just humans doesn't have the intelligence to make something like that today.

Who beleived we could talk live with people in other worlds 500 years ago or even watch television?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Saturlight said:
The 100-year travel calculation was made by a professor on the telly. As regards, the other technical stuff, I give in - you know a lot better than me. :) OK. :D

20 light years (one way ) - approx 11,250,000,000,000 miles.

Pluto in nine years according to the website, (2,700,000,000 miles), with one fly by of Jupiter in just over a year (500,000,000 miles) and the New Horizons craft is not going to slow down, or stop once it gets there. Its using a nuclear motor to keep going for that length of time, unlike other probes which were really unpropelled for most of the journey.

Additionally just one fraction of a decimal point in the calculation at those distances, or some unseen force enroute (gravitational/light/partical interaction) could mean an error of a few billion miles at the other end.

In my calculation the travel time would be some 460 years (25 or so human generations) at the speeds we are presently able to accomplish, and that is assuming the crew could survive the acceleration forces of the flyby. Introducing some ability to slow down, orbit, or at best land at the other end would make the journey nearer 650 years, give or take a century, or so, now up to a 40 generation one way trip.

The final crew at the other end would be using equipment akin to us travelling/communicating with stuff built in the 13th century, ox and cart, maybe a bonfire on a hill, and possibly an alpine horn.

Warp drive or similar is definitely required, which give the craft ability to slow down / manouver / return at the other end of the journey.

(but at least your Betamax would still be working);)

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
T_G said:

The problem is, when U move faster than light, it will blacken Your eyesight :eek:

Anyway, they(the Brains) have succesfully splitted a foton into 2 parts, sent them away at 180 degrees angel and (while splitting them) inserted a message into one of them - and (holy sh!t) the other one had the same info, instantly

So, anything smaller than a half foton can move faster that light( strange, the foton is the carrier of light ?)

In my opinion there is one way(only?) to move faster than light - and that is the mind - U can move Your mind to a place miles away in a split of a foton

Problem is, U still stuck, but the mind moves

So, to all, Move the mind

member91040

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DISH TV,DIRECT DD+,
TATA SKY,HATHWAY,
NOKIA 9660S,
PCI SAT CARD TWINHAN NSS6, PAS7/10, ASIASAT3S, INSAT,INETEL SAT, EUROSTAR, DremBox, & Multi LNB'S
My Location
INDIA
it will blacken Your eyesight , Hummm Ths why aliens wear black glass, New thing evolved, That aliens wear black glasses. Tom cruise, Alot.