New Satellite - Install help needed

dynamo985

Reaction score
Motorised Satellite System 2CI 0 GbSat receiver HH100 GbSat/STAB Motor 1.0 M Gibertini Dish 0.6db MTI Blueline LNB complete fitting kit.

I have installed everything, the dish and the receiver, everything is setup. I get a signal of 75%+ on almost every satellite but yet i cannot view any channels. I am only trying to view FTA channels atm. I have tried all the following steps : -
1) Longitude setting and Latitude setting in the receiver

2) Latitude setting on the mount

3) Inclination on the dish (22.5 degrees)

4) Go to a free station like KIOSK 1 (on Thor/Intelsat 707)
Move the dish slowly around the upright mount in the direction of south using the satellite Meter to determine the peak signal.

But still no joy, any ideas on how to get a channel, btw im a complete novice and dont know how to program the receiver correctly.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Starting with the basics

Has the supplier given any advice on the scan facility / signal strength parameters of the receiver, or shown you how to wire up the F plugs to the cable correctly ?

Is the receiver set to the right Local Oscillator for the LNB, and is the correct frequency/polarity set in the receiver for Kiosk ?

dynamo985

Reaction score
Channel Hopper said:
Starting with the basics

Has the supplier given any advice on the scan facility / signal strength parameters of the receiver, or shown you how to wire up the F plugs to the cable correctly ?

Is the receiver set to the right Local Oscillator for the LNB, and is the correct frequency/polarity set in the receiver for Kiosk ?
this is the problem, all i know is how to wire up the plugs and apparently the signal strength indicates that the whole system is connected correctly. What i need ideally is a step by step guide for the "GBsat 2CI0 receiver" on how to set it up and start looking for channels. Cos i havent got a clue.

dynamo985

Reaction score
dynamo985 said:
this is the problem, all i know is how to wire up the plugs and apparently the signal strength indicates that the whole system is connected correctly. What i need ideally is a step by step guide for the "GBsat 2CI0 receiver" on how to set it up and start looking for channels. Cos i havent got a clue.
Update: After connecting my existing sky minidish to the receiver i can confirm that it works and all i need now is help on enligning the dish with the satellites, i assume there is a nice guide to do this, could someone be so kind to post a link, thanks.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Would be helpful to know your location, but aside from that, I believe the key to your problems is you do not know whether you are finding your due South satellite, until you can do that, then you are all but wasting yur time.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you are in mainland UK, then you can normally get away with using 1W as your due South setting for the dish.

1) Your pole needs to be perfectly plumb, not near enough, but spot on.

2) Set your lattitude on the motor body scale, that should set the arc properly, use the calculation given in the motor instructions to set your dish elevation, if not you need to do it by trial and error.

3) Use a compass to approximately point the dish at 1W and by moving the motor on the pole and the dish elevation, very slowly pan for a signal, BBC World is possibly the best tranponder to use and having a portable TV nearby makes life easier.

4) Once your Due South sat is locked up, then the others should fall into place. :)

dynamo985

Reaction score
thanks for that advice, the problem is ive been panning for bbc world for about 2 hours today, no exaggeration. I will try and adjust my dish from scratch again and see if it makes a difference. Is the signal strength im receiving the signal strength from that satellite or signal strength in general?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
It could be from another satellite, where are you roughly?

dynamo985

Reaction score
i am near crawley in the south of England longitude:0.2 latitude:51.7

dynamo985

Reaction score
is there any use in perhaps just sweeping the sky? reducing/increasing the inclination each time and see if i find it by luck?

dynamo985

Reaction score
ok, im trying to find these satellites now, i think i now have the right declination on the satellite. I can use my receiver to turn my satellite from left to right via the motor, on the screen where i can do this i have a signal strength and signal quality bars, once i have the dish facing a satellite or the correct satellite what should these bars show or can i not find the satellites this way. Do i have to put it on a channel and then move it manually till it gives an adequate picture or sound?
thanks for your help

AForester

01LD1E
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
a variety of lnb's (5), dishes (2), diseqc motors (3) and receivers (4).
My Location
East of Cambridge (GB).
@ dynamo985

From the description of your gear it looks like another "rip off" from H*s*t of Bristol.
They should have sent you, with your gear, a CD rom on how to set up your system from scratch. You can/could read an installation guide on their website.
Your dish might be a fraction too low, due south for your location is in the direction of the sun at 1pm (BST). Set up there and scan slightly up/down and left/right on Thor BBC World keeping an eye on the quality level bar and move very slowly and slightly until signal quality maximises.
Regards AF

dynamo985

Reaction score
thanks for the info and they did send me a cd rom with a cd but tbh the cd was only any real use for actually erecting the dish after that it just became a coaster.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
For initially setting up the dish, you need to set your motor bracket to the corect lattitude, then making sure that the motor is set to zero, turn the motor mount on the pole for azimuth and the dish elevation bracket and find 1W.

Forget about moving the dish motor with the receiver until you have locked onto 1W.