New Sky Card Problems

ChipButty

Reaction score
My Location
Madrid
I tried my new Sky card last night and the on screen message tells me that I have a problem and I should call Sky directly.

The other problem is that I haven't used my digibox for a couple of months because of house moving, so when I received the new card I went to visit a friend with a Sky system so I could get it up and running before they remove the authorisation signals.

I plugged in the digibox with the old card and all it told me was that if I wanted to upgrade my subscription to call Sky, no invalid card message or anything. So, I inserted the new card and it immediately came up with the card problem dialogue. Forced a software reload of the box, but with the same results. The digibox has been hooked up almost 24 hours now with no change.

Anybody got any suggestions ???? I'm guessing that the digibox forgot about the old card, because its been off for so long, but does this some how affect the use of the new one ?

N

net1

Have you tried a forced download followed by a digi box call back to authorise the card.
Regards
Net1

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
A call back from Madrid ?

Maybe not

ChipButty

Reaction score
My Location
Madrid
A forced download..... yes

callback... no, is that possible from outside the UK ?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
What software version are you running and what was the exact message when inserting the new card ChipButty? For the forced download to work, you need to be able to receive the default transponder, I'm assuming that you can.

How long ago was the new card sent out?

A new installation channel search may kick start the old card, it just won't make the callback.

dishdoctor

Hmm, now what seems to be the problem?
Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
On some digiboxes at certain times the software update does not load the new software,it still runs for about 10 minutes and switches off,but still has the same version installed,so you will need to know the new version details for your box so you can tell if it has worked.As mentioned before,the new cards must have the newest software to work correctly.........brian

ChipButty

Reaction score
My Location
Madrid
Did a manual channel search in the 'installers' menu with the old card when I first powered up the digibox. I could see Sky News but when I switched to Sky One this is when it said that if I wanted to upgrade my subscription etc etc.

I then inserted the new card and got the 'there is a problem with your card please contact.........' message (the screen message box had a 02 in the top right hand corner if that helps).

Left it around half an hour with no luck. So, I then forced the software download with the new card still in. After that I couldn't access any channels anymore. So, I did another manual channel search on the Sky One transponder, I got again the same 'problem' message.

Which transponder should be my default one ?
What is the correct software version for the new cards ?
Do I have to get the digibox to recognise the old card before using the new one ?

dishdoctor

Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
11.778 V 27/5 2/3.....Panasonic dsb 30 version3.1a.6

ChipButty

Reaction score
My Location
Madrid
I'll check the sw version when I can get access to a dish again.

Do you think its important for the digibox to recognise the old invalid card first ?

BTW thanks to everyone for the fast responses and help...! :)

dishdoctor

Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
Your old card should not be invalid,it just needs time to reload the chanels after the digibox being unplugged for a time.Once you have the latest software,if you are still having problems with the card,you may need to contact sky "safely" and have your card authorised over the phone..............brian

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The software version will show even when the box isn't connected to the dish, but I would get it connected to a dish, no matter how temporary a structure, pretty soon.

ChipButty

Reaction score
My Location
Madrid
After getting the SW Version sorted, do you recommend to use the old card first when doing the channel download ?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
The changeover requires the old card to be working first, otherwise it is a call to Sky, a software download may not even be necessary as it would appear the the receiver did recognise the card. If the software version is way out of date, it won't even see the card.

ChipButty

Reaction score
My Location
Madrid
Your absolutely right Rolf, lets see if I can bodge together something over the weekend so I can have a thorough play around.

Anyone know what the timelimit is for getting you new card active ? In reality I have tried mine 3 weeks after it was received at the UK address.

dishdoctor

Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
There is no need for a chanel download,all you need is the latest software,a card does not need to be in the box when downloading.The old card may be needed to be in a plugged in box for about 2/3 days to reload its authorisation,then the new card should be used..........brian

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I've not yet heard of anyone's card expiring, but it isn't in their interest to do that anyway, just get it set up and leave the card in, it may take 24 hrs or so, but hopefully then you will get the annoying message to insert your new card coming up.

dishdoctor

Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
Right,That"s it..........now i am waiting to watch the big match,Oh,so you wont be geting ITV then!!!!!!brian

ChipButty

Reaction score
My Location
Madrid
The lesson from all this appears to be don't leave you digibox off for too long.....

Oh well, looks like I have my weekend activities planned for me.....

Thanks once again for all your help and time... I'll let you know how I get on...

ChipButty

Reaction score
My Location
Madrid
Don't worry Dishdoctor, its Real Madrid playing, you don't think that they wouldn't dare show the game on Spanish national TV.......

I'll have to put up with the biased commentating though !

dishdoctor

Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
As you are only just up the road,pop round,and get the english version,of couse if the digibox was working you could get the commentary on five live radio.........Doh....if the digibox was working you would watch itv.....................adios