New Sky Viewing Cards

Frankly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Thompson Sky Box
My Location
Tuscany,Italy
Hi Everybody,
I purchased a UK Sky decoder box about three years ago to use here in Tuscany,and have been happily watching ch4 ch5 and ITV but now see that I will need to get hold of a new viewing card to replace the old blue card with the yellow house on it in order to continue my viewing.
Can anyone suggest where I get hold of one of these?
Thaks
Frankly

acezon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 600s, Darkbox 2008,
Liberty FTA reciever, Humax Foxsat HD, Thomson Sky+,
3 fixed dishes, 60cm for 13E + 19E, 80 cm motorised,Zone 1 sky+, BtVision and My 37" baby.
My Location
Exmouth, Devon
As of yet we here in the uk are yet to be sent the new card, im sure when are coming though the doors you will hear about it here,

if you are just using the card for the free channels you will be able to get a new one from sl<y for about 20 quid, but you will need a uk address to have it sent too.

smiffie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HD 500Gb X 2, Dreambox 500S X 2, VBox 2, Jaeger 99G H to H 36v, Inverto SilverTech Quad LNB 0.2dB, 95cm Maxx Digital Mesh Dish 42E-45W, Technomate TM 2600 H to H Diseqc, Inverto Ultra black LNB 0.2dB , 85cm Transparent Dish 42E-1W.
My Location
North West England, UK
ITV and channel 4 are part of the Freesat package available FTA and as such do not require a card. Channel 5 is now also available FTA as the BBC have kindly provided them with space on one of their transponders in preperation for their "Official" move to Freesat in the autumn.

I'm not sure whether the Digibox prevents you tuning to these FTA frequencies as I've never had one, I've used one and found it very restrictive. If you can't retune, I would advise buying either a Freesat box or Dreambox. The other issue is that Freesat is on Astra 2D which is focused on the UK so I don't know what size dish you need for Tuscany. Lyngsat indicates 85cm for South East France, I know you need over 3m for the Canary Islands, but that's well off the footprint.

Although if you can get BBC and ITV now, you can probably already pick up Astra 2D now! Let us know how you get on?

acezon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 600s, Darkbox 2008,
Liberty FTA reciever, Humax Foxsat HD, Thomson Sky+,
3 fixed dishes, 60cm for 13E + 19E, 80 cm motorised,Zone 1 sky+, BtVision and My 37&quot; baby.
My Location
Exmouth, Devon
The card sets which rgion bbc and itv you wish to watch it also unlocks some of the channels which dont have space on 2D, as i think some are on the other beams that 28.2/5 has to offer hence a crad is need for those channels.

dvmedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m Orbital Motorised Dish, Fixed 65cm Fortec Dish on Astra 1, Fixed 45cm Minidish on Hotbird, Pace MSS500, TM-5600D CI USB Super, Nokia 9800s, Skystar USB 2, Grundig Sky Digibox, Manhattan Plaza XT-M
My Location
High Wycombe, Nr London, UK
smiffie said:
ITV and channel 4 are part of the Freesat package available FTA and as such do not require a card. Channel 5 is now also available FTA as the BBC have kindly provided them with space on one of their transponders in preperation for their "Official" move to Freesat in the autumn.

I'm not sure whether the Digibox prevents you tuning to these FTA frequencies as I've never had one, I've used one and found it very restrictive. If you can't retune, I would advise buying either a Freesat box or Dreambox. The other issue is that Freesat is on Astra 2D which is focused on the UK so I don't know what size dish you need for Tuscany. Lyngsat indicates 85cm for South East France, I know you need over 3m for the Canary Islands, but that's well off the footprint.

Although if you can get BBC and ITV now, you can probably already pick up Astra 2D now! Let us know how you get on?

Great news 'Frankly', you CAN tune Channel Five in manually, free-to-air and watch it via the 'Other channels' option on your S*y Digibox :)

It's at 10773H, 22000, 5/6.

So you have absolutely no need to pay Sly for a new FTV card :)

It would be even better if you had a generic satellite receiver.. as the Sly ones are a royal pain in the behind...

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You can only tune it in to Channel Five on Astra 2D if the dish is big enough, bear in mind that Frankly lives in Italy, a fringe reception area.

Frankly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Thompson Sky Box
My Location
Tuscany,Italy
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the info.
I've talked my dad into ringing them up when the time comes and to say he didn't receive his through the post.(So long as it doesn't need to signed for!)
I'll tell you how it goes
Cheers

Ute

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax PR-HD1000, Grundig Skybox + Edision 1600CI. 2 Diseqcs. Triax TD88 (28,2°E, 23,5°E, 19,1°E, 13°E)
Computer: 24&quot; Imac 2,8Ghz
My Location
Heidelberg, Germany
they will cancel his original card if that is the case. If that happens it won´t even be usable as a FTA card

Leanne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
Spain
Hi, I have been reading all the info on here re the Sky cards being changed and I have added Ch5 on 'other channels'.

We are in Spain and will not get a new card so we will have to use the Sky box without a card. Will we loose ITV? If so can I add that to other channels to? I took out the card and tried all the channels and we could still see ITV - was that just luck ? do you recon it will go when the old cards are 'switched off'

Thanks

ps sorry if this question has already been asked:)

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
ITV is FTA (Free to Air) so you can view them without a Sky card, check out the link for all the FTA channels on Astra 2:
_http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html