new solo2 + wifi miracle

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
Bergen, Norway \ Alpes Maritimes, France
So, picked up a fine solo2 at low price, and needed some kind of network connection to get some addons etc for openpli. Only available here at my N cottage is the phone 4g hotspot, and wondered if that would be possible, probably not... Came across a tp-link usb wifi adapter on sale at a local shop and gave it a go, and 2 miracles! 1. the solo2 recognized it 2. I managed to set it up properly ! A nice day of experiments indeed :O)

For anyone interested, a good wifi usb that worked quite immeiately on solo2 (and probably any vu+)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WN822N-Wireless-Adapter-Version-300M/dp/B00416Q5KI/

Attachments

• wif.jpg
    wif.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 27
  • test.jpg
    test.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 27

ray.vincent5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
amiko alien 2
My Location
durham
So, picked up a fine solo2 at low price, and needed some kind of network connection to get some addons etc for openpli. Only available here at my N cottage is the phone 4g hotspot, and wondered if that would be possible, probably not... Came across a tp-link usb wifi adapter on sale at a local shop and gave it a go, and 2 miracles! 1. the solo2 recognized it 2. I managed to set it up properly ! A nice day of experiments indeed :O)

For anyone interested, a good wifi usb that worked quite immeiately on solo2 (and probably any vu+)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WN822N-Wireless-Adapter-Version-300M/dp/B00416Q5KI/
My setup is Vu+solo2
I use my phone as hotspot at our Static caravan to connect to my Vu+solo 2 and wondering how I would setup this unit to improve signal etc
Ray

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Connecting the receiver to the hotspot would not improve signal.

ray.vincent5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
amiko alien 2
My Location
durham
do i connect the unit to my Vu receiver with usb cable

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Can you please explain what you're trying to do?
Do you mean improve your satellite signal, or WiFi signal?

If you want to connect your VU+ Solo2, to the internet, you need a USB Dongle, to connect to a Wi Fi hotspot, along with the username and password, if joining a secured network.

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to do.

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
Bergen, Norway \ Alpes Maritimes, France
do i connect the unit to my Vu receiver with usb cable
If 'unit' refers to an external wifi adapter like in my post above, yes, usb cable.
Or use a dongle with antenna, plugs directly into the usb port.
Then the solo2 'should\could\may\will' :O) recognize it, and be able to connect to some available wifi.

The post's 'miracle' titling is due to the adapter I got being immediately ok. Some usb adapters are known to not work at all, or needing some lengthy fight with drivers \ tweaking.