new to sky

marty80

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Astra/Hotbird
My Location
UK
Hi, I'm thinking about getting sky sports +broadband +phone.

Is it technically possible to use the sky card in the sky plus box and a dreambox at the same time?

Would I be required to have the sky plus box plugged into the phone line (there's no phone line in the room and I don't want to).

Cheers

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
marty80 said:
Is it technically possible to use the sky card in the sky plus box and a dreambox at the same time?

Definitely no

marty80 said:
Would I be required to have the sky plus box plugged into the phone line (there's no phone line in the room and I don't want to).

Cheers

Definitely yes as you will be taking out a new contract with sky and thus required to keep it connected to the phone line for 12 months

marty80

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Astra/Hotbird
My Location
UK
They usually don't mind if you don't have it connected to the telephone line despite what the contract says. Is this the case for sky plus boxes, too or just for ordinary boxes?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
The only real issue is with Multiroom installations as the requirement for a telephone line to be connected is an anti-fraud device to attempt to prevent subsidised Cards being used "elsewhere".

marty80

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Astra/Hotbird
My Location
UK
So using a sky plus box without a telephone line would work although I'm supposed to use one?

Although a sky plus box would be no use anyway if I can't split the card between it and another receiver

marty80

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Astra/Hotbird
My Location
UK
Another issue I thought of: If I use sky broadband, would they notice what I'm using the internet for with regards to their tv service, or should I be careful there?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
marty80 said:
Another issue I thought of: If I use sky broadband, would they notice what I'm using the internet for with regards to their tv service, or should I be careful there?

I very much doubt they are clever enough to create and manage an integrated spy system!

There are people who believe Sky collect viewing Data without permission, despite the fact that they actually do have panels of volunteers who do consent to allow Sky to access that information and despite the fact that it would soon come to light if BSkyB were engaged in any nefarious activity and the hue and cry would be a joy to behold 'O'-red

marty80

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Astra/Hotbird
My Location
UK
I'm only concerned that the sky box would probably complain that the card isn't in it while it is connected to the telephone line ;)

Well, it's easy for broadband providers to know what their customers are up to. They also have to keep records ans scan traffic because you and me could be terrorists. So I feel a bit uneasy about using sky broadband in order to cheat on their tv service lol but you are right, it's probably fine.

don'tknowdon'taskme

Part Timer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 800HD DreamBox 7025 PVR160g HD,500s Dreambox ,Sly+ Full Package,SkyCard 2, And a Eagle 500 Clone DM500 TM755,TM9100 Linux
Channel Master 1.2m,1224EL Supermount Orbit Tracking Motor With c120 Feed Horn Invacom Quad Lnb Cas3 SC Dragon Progr
My Location
that would be telling
Topper said:
Definitely no

Definitely yes as you will be taking out a new contract with sky and thus required to keep it connected to the phone line for 12 months
just took out a new contract and the installer told me you pay a one off £25 for it not to be plugged into your phone line.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
don said:
just took out a new contract and the installer told me you pay a one off £25 for it not to be plugged into your phone line.

Thanks for that info update I was not aware of that option

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
That was introduced a few momths back - its only available for single box installs of course.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Analoguesat said:
That was introduced a few momths back - its only available for single box installs of course.

Ah, yes - the "momth"

Murdoch's Original Moneymaking Telephone Hardsell

I'll get my coat ..............