New use for sat cable, SPDIF audio.

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
Bergen, Norway \ Alpes Maritimes, France
Finally got around to trying to use that old external usb soundcard I've had laying around for years, to try to get some better results out of my music\streaming laptop.

But needed some connection to test spdif to the (Pioneer) AV amp. Eureka after a while, found 5 meters of standard satcable and soldered on 2 rca's, working great. Later doing some reading, sat\ant cable turns out to be perfect choice for digital audio.

Great, clear sound using SPDIF compared to the quite muddy hedaphones-out previously used as source for the amp, improvements clearly audible on my (midrange) stereo setup.

spd.jpg

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
The SB box also got optical out (got no cable to test that). Anyway, became a spdif fan today. Compared to before, sounds like amp and speakers got upgraded some notches.

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
Funnily enough i used some Triax TX100 for a Subwoofer cable for my Home cinema system and used Snap-Seal for the Phono ends, compared it to a so called Audio phile type cable that i have owned for some time and the difference was incredible, Sat cable has some surprising benefits at times

20151130_014124.jpg

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
so called Audio phile type cable
Yes, much expensive snake oil out there, and some people buy into it. For analog audio (apart for comparing with defective cabling) some of them may do a tiny bit of what's claimed. But worth the price?

And now they try to squeeze more out of it by selling digital cabling as well, with all sorts of claims, in context ref. this funny remark on a forum "our high-end printer cable will increase colors, details and contrast, make text and pictures look better. 1m length, only $2999.- " :O)