Newbie Advice

nfshirley

Reaction score
So here is the sad story, and one in which any advice would be appreciated. I have an italian girlfriend, and instead of actually researching how to get Italian TV, I just went onto a local website and purchased and had installed a satellite with a Echostar DSB-890 2Ci EchoNav Xpress Receiver (DSB-890 2Ci) receiver.

Now, we can receive all of the free Italian shows (Rai Uno, Due etc), but I would also like to receive the movie and SKY Italia programs if possible.

The problem is I know absolutely nothing about any of this, I don't know what a CAM is (thats what the installer said I needed), and I don't know where to look for something I don't know what it is.

I presume you need more than just this CAM, but could someone point me in the right direction of what I need, where I can find information, and how much this sort of thing costs.

I am sorry to be such a 'newbie', but anyhelp would be appreciated.

guiri

Reaction score
My Location
Manchester, UK
At the moment, you need a subscription to watch italia. The best option would be an original receiver and card from Italy; at the end of the year they will use only n*s encryption, and I'm not sure if there will be a cam available for that even with an original card.

nfshirley

Reaction score
So if I buy a receiver subscription for it in Italy (my girlfriend has a houe there) and just bring it back here to the UK, would that work?

guiri

Reaction score
My Location
Manchester, UK
From a satellite reception point of view it will work because you're pointing your dish at the same satellite. I don't know if there are any issues about whether the original receiver needs to be connected to a phone line (eg. it might have a hard coded italian phone number to dial for example to get updates or for pay per view enabling). It should be easy to check with a dealer in italy what the requirements are.

nfshirley

Reaction score
Guiri

Many thanks for all your help, much appreciated. On another note, where can I find a list of other channels that I may be able to get and what CAM's (still don't know what they are) and cards I need (and where to get them)?

Thanks

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central

loftyj

Reaction score
What is a cam.?.
At the moment your reciver has built in the hardware to be able to recive F.T.A. channels. A cam is an additional piece of Hardware that fits into one of your CI slots and when it is programmed with the correct software enables you to watch encripted channels. Like Conax, Irdeto ect:, you can bye a cam for one provider, or one that will open not all, but most the providers that encript there signal ( Dragon, Matrix, ect:) you will have to do a search on the forum and make up your own mind as to the best one, everyone has there own opinion on this.
To be able to load the Cam you will also require a programmer, again everyone has a different opinion as to the best one, more research required. A good place to start is in the Cams thread.
Hope this helps, if you are still in trouble come back, someone on he forum will try and help you