Newbie Help on new sat system?

davidpals

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none yet
My Location
derbyshire
Hi ,
i dont know if im in the right place but as a complete new starter to satellites - apart from sky - this seems to be the place for much needed help.
is it possible to buy all the stuff needed and install myself ? if so what equipment - dish size , motorised or fixed ,is it worth going HD . the system would be a box under the telly not a pc. - which box?
i find sky channel choice pretty limiting and just want to see whats out there.
please help thanks dave

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skystar2 pci skystar usb + porty lidl camping dish maybe one day i'll have a dreambox 500s...
My Location
str8 frum da wesside innit?
Hi, yes, this is the right place to ask but not the right thread. It is usually considered to be impolite to go into someone's thread and divert it with a complete different querie. You could open your own, though! And of course, yes, you can install everything by yourself. C ya around.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Started new thread for you davidpals, as kamaleon says, a new thread was needed here.:)

And in answer to you question, yes it is. There are plenty of sticky guides to help you set up a motorised dish.

A good start would be a 1m dish, a Diseqc motor (Moteck sg2100a or Technomate TM2200 or Darkmotor) coupled to the receiver of your choice. The Technomates are a easy start. The 6800/6900 models are HD or there's the 5200/5300/5400 series for SD.

davidpals

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none yet
My Location
derbyshire
appolagies for being in the wrong place - never posted before - ever.
thanks for yor reply - i have sourced a 1 m ally dish and motor with a gb sat reciever 2nd hand.
with regards to dish position if i put it on the back of the house the range i get is from direct south one way ie in line with the house wall to north the other the dish would look east to the rising sun.
am i going to miss half of whats out there or would it be ok for starters? the other option being on the chimney - not good for the wind etc or the neighbours.
thanks again for your time taken to reply and any advice is much needed. thanks again david

billmcc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
new purchase required
My Location
england
if dish would point east to the rising sun.then it sounds like you need to fix the dish on the front of the house or at the rear on a pole. have a look at other peoples sky dishes they are pointing @28 deg east