Newbie Questions

iceeman

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
Hi all i was wondering if you kind folk could help me with a few questions.
I have been given a free to view box, Pace dtr735, and was most surprised to find that it could receive some channels as i had always been led to believe that our area was not covered by dtt.
I am receiving from the Rowridge transmitter, uk south coast.
I can only get 4 out of six of the channel frequencies that i believe i should be getting at about half signal strength. So can you please tell me:
1. Is it possible that the aerial can only receive certain frequencies if it is not properly alligned or not of high enough gain ?.
2. ITV is one of the missing channels does anybody in my area receive it ?.
3. Do standard tv signal boosters work with dtt or has the digital part of the signal degraded too much already to be of any use ?.

I think i will probabally have to install a new aerial but would like to keep costs down if possible.

Many thanks.

leonardwolk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
none
I can only answer the question about the signal booster, as I live outside UK. A signal booster "should" work, it gives you a stronger signal, it doesn't read the different signals and then reproduces them stronger.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Site Name:Rowridge
Region:South & South East
Transmitter No:
NGR:SZ447865
Avg Aerial Height:260
Aerial Group:WH

Multiplex 1 BBC Channel 23
Offset-
ERP 20.0
Multiplex 2 Digital 3&4 Channel 52
Offset0 ERP 20.0
Multiplex A SDN Channel 30
Offset-
ERP 10.0
Multiplex B BBC Channel 32
Offset+
ERP 20.0
Multiplex C Crown Castle
Channel 26
Offset-
ERP 20.0
Multiplex D Crown Castle Channel 33
Offset+
ERP 20.0

Looks like the only weak frequency is Multiplex A, so given a reasonable aerial you should get all but A. There can of course be problems with trees etc which may attenuate particular frequencies more than others.

Amplifiers for digital signals will normally only be effective if they are as close to the aerial as possible, ideally on the mast itself.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I think i may have spotted the problem, ITV is in the multiplex on channel 52, this is well outside the performance range of your analogue aerial, it is probably a group A antenna, handling channels 21 to 33 or thereabouts.

So a new antenna may be the order of the day.

iceeman

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Hi Rolf and leonardwolk, thanks for fast replys. Yes channel 52 is the one that is totally missing, ch 30 is poor quality all of the rest are fine. Could you please explain the antenna rating or point me towards a good reference source. I was not sure about boosters as i thought that a digital signal is either there or not and therefore if not there was nothing to boost. Many thanx.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You'll need a wideband antenna, a good rule of thumb as to how much you need to spend is to look around and see what everyone else has, particularly the newer ones.

You can buy a wideband high gain antenna for around £30-£40, don't go to Maplin, have a look in Yellow pages under Aerial services and you'll find a wholesaler or large installation company to sell you one, that is of course if you are able to install it yourself.

Always good to replace tha cable as well when installing, if you require any amplification, then a masthead amp is best, it can be powered from anwhere in the house via the down cable.

Set back amplifiers are generally a waste of time if you are trying to pull in a sub standard digital signal, as you say, it cannot amplify what isn't there. They can however be used in the loft if you are looking to distribute tha signal, as you are fairly close to the aerial and the signal should be better quality

iceeman

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Many thanks Rolf, looks like a new antenna then. May wait until the new channel line up is finalised just to see if there is anything worth getting.