Newbie questions?

aid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.4 Pentium 4
512 DDR PC 4000
My Location
manchester
Alrite fellas I was hoping someone could give me a little advice, I am wanting to pick up freeview or the similar sort of channels on my PC. I wouldnt mind viewing any sky channels either I do have a digital sky dish but am not a subscriber any more so just use it to pick up the free ones!

I gathered I would need a PC TV card which I had ended up at this TechniSat SkyStar 1CI TV PVR I dont know weather this is correct but it is £100 so looked a bargain! now this is where I am drawing a blank I dont know what to do after I purchase the card if it is the correct card even!? if I need to purchase a seperate Freeview receiver does it actually matter I cannot receive Freeview in my area? this is the reason i am wanting to view it on my pc as i cannot get it through the aerial and thought it would be different with a digital tv card? I was hoping to transfer the channels to my tv somehow I think I saw a cable to link them to display the output on tv but would be happy with it on pc at first!

any help appreciated guys

cheers!

aid

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The Skystar is great for the free to air channels on that satellite, so you will receive all of the BBC channels, ITV channels and anything else which is not encrypted on that satellite. You will not be able to receive Channel 4 and Channel 5, as they are encrypted and require a Freesat card.

Get yourself a version of ProgDVB, it is a viewer for the PC and can be downloaded free, do a Google search for it. :)

You can as you say, buy an adapter lead to use this card with a normal TV.

PS. Have a read through this section, the card is capable of far more than the limited free to air offerings on 28.2 East.;)

aid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.4 Pentium 4
512 DDR PC 4000
My Location
manchester
So I have to purchase the TV PC card thern connect it to my satellite dish? How do youy pick up them non free channels like sky or channel 4 do I need another piece of hardware as I would like to buy this first if so!? So once progDVB is installed and PC card I should be able to view a free to air channels?

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Once the card is installed correctly and you have loaded ProgDVB, then you will recieve all the FTA channels that are on the satellite that you are pointing at. You will not get CH4 or Five as they are not FTA on satellite, but all the BBC channels including reigonal variations and all the ITV chanels are.

Your best bet really is to get a second dish an point it at another satellite such as 13East or 30West to get the full benefit from your sat TV card.

There is software available free on the internet that will allow you to watch some of encrypted channels on other satellites, but not 28East.

When you get your card then we will give you any help you need with install and software, but feel free to ask anything here in the meantime that will help you decide what you want to do.

Rgds

L.:)

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
1mtr dish & jaeger 99G 36v motor, with a superjack DP-6600. dvb-t aswell,in the process of setting up
My Location
cheshire,algeria
aid said:
So I have to purchase the TV PC card thern connect it to my satellite dish?

simple.....:D

aid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.4 Pentium 4
512 DDR PC 4000
My Location
manchester
ahhhhhhh so it i s a receiver! I thought you meant a very long wire or something :-doh! :-ohmy I am in the attic anyway so is right near the sat dish! will it automatically pick it up or am I going to be moving my pc around to try and get a signal!? :mad:

I know the FTA channels but lancelot mentioned that There is software available free on the internet that will allow you to watch some of encrypted channels on other satellites....I was wondering what sort of encrypted channels I am likely to be able to view without my second satellite? just the basic ones I could find?

any help appreciated!

aidan

aid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.4 Pentium 4
512 DDR PC 4000
My Location
manchester
also could someone explain to me what a freesat card is? and is it worth purchasing one? :-bash

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The Skystar needs to be installed in the PC, you then need to run a cable from the LNB on the dish to the Skystar card, if you don't have a spare outlet on the LNB, you need to install a quad LNB.

The Freesat card will not work in the Skystar.

For any channels other than those available Free To Air on Astra 28.2, you will need to either move your Sky minidish to point at one of the other satellites, or install a second dish. Have a read through this section (as I have suggested in an earlier post), you will find pretty much all of the information you need, or at the very least, enough information to ask more than general questions.