Technomate 1000ci reciever
Technomate H&H 1.2 Motor
Smart TSX Titanium 0.2dB Lnb
104 cm Dish
My Location
Colchester, Essex
Hi there.

We live in the South East of the UK.
We are trying to get a good reception for MBC 4 & One Tv on Nilesat 07' W but there seems to be a fluctuation that I cant stabalies.

Our system (Listed below) will give a good picture and sound at 66% which is obtainable in the late evening but during the day it drops to 63% which is not watchable.

Origionaly we had an 84 cm dish but We changed that for a 104 cm dish, giving us an increase of 25% of the surface are, which I was hoping that it would give us our 3% that we were looking for. But nothing has happed except that 63% used to fluctuate & now its stable????

So my questions are thus:-

The dish was white but it has been hand painted matt black (Thats how it came) Will this affect the Microwaves path and should I stip it back and repaint (Spray) with an appropriate paint type?

Ive heard that its not possible to get a 0.2lnb, because it would have to be cooled to such low temps making it impractical. If this is true, why have We got one that says it is? and if its not up to the job then which one should I buy?

We have an amplifier.... Should I fit it and where? Between the LMB/Motor or Motor/Reciever?

Our specs are :-
Technomate H&H 1.2 Motor
104 cm Dish
Lat 51.885798
Long 0.915281

Some kind soul please help us as we are new to this & its driving me nutts.

Yours
Josh

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Hi - :-Welcome1 to the board.

You need to strip back the paint on the dish and respray it with a grey non gloss car paint. This is a heat precaution and not to do with the reflective properties of the antenna.

The symptoms you describe are typical of this satellite, that being increased reception in the evenings and lower during the hours of daylight.

If the LNB is fairly old then replacing it will do no harm and the newer ones are better these days anyway, (the 0.2db figures are speculative at best though). Also make sure that the cable run is of good quality CT100 or equivalent, and free of kinks etc.

Line amps are only really recommended for longer (40-50m +) runs of cable, but if you feel you must use one then the suggested place to put it is somewhere near the middle of the cable run and not near the ends.

Finally make sure your antenna is not warped or dented in any way as it sounds as if it hasn't had the easiest of lives so far.If you are desperate to recieve these channels and none of the above has solved the problem, then you could always consider a larger (120cm +) replacement.

Let us know how you get on.

L.:)

jjandrj6679

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate H&H 1.2 Motor
104 cm Dish
My Location
Colchester, Essex
Thank you Lancelot for your time, It wont be wasted ill be up on the roof with a tin of nitromorse and a couple of cans of grey paint.
What type of grey paint do you suggest?

Car Matt Primer
Car Matt
Car Bumper Paint
Ultra High Temp Grey Matt Paint
Duluxe Household Matt

Just a thought, why grey and not white/black as I have seen on many dishes for sale. You say its a heat precaution and not to do with the reflective properties of the antenna, how come? what heats up.

The LNB is brand new, Here is the web site

http://www.wela-electronic.de/de/backend/downloads/LNB Titanium_web.pdf

Its the Single TSX, is it any good as I understand it but not what impact it makes on the quality of signal that I get from it, so is there a better one to get?

Sorry for all the q's, my life is factual based and Im a " Compusive " need to know kinda guy....In otherwords...Sad...lol
Ill let you know over the next few days how things are going.

Again thanks for all of your time and effort.

Yours
Josh

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
The dish and / or LNB heats up. Gloss is bad as it will reflect sunlight and melt the LNB.
Car matt is fine.
LNB should be OK.
The figures quoted are 'noise' figures, the lower the better obviously.

jjandrj6679

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate H&H 1.2 Motor
104 cm Dish
My Location
Colchester, Essex
Hi there
Sorry for the delay in comming back . I work very hard at the weekends so im to knackered to do anything.
I have now got a Meter to get the dish angles lined up correctly Tomorrow I will hopefully re-paint the dish. so if I dont kill myself in the process then Ill let you know what a differance it will make. I dont hold out much hope as 35% increase in dish size did bugger all....
Thanks again for all your help and Im sure it wont be the last time
Yours
Josh

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
a triax110cm dish will solve your problems :-)

TWAG

jjandrj6679

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate H&H 1.2 Motor
104 cm Dish
My Location
Colchester, Essex
I was up on the roof last night and I found to my amazement that the LNB looked out of allignment, so after about 2 hours of wiggling and adjusting we mannaged to get 69/70% quality, full picture and sound no losses at all. Also the nomal time that the signal qulity dies off is arround 8.00 am GMT of which the signal quality dropped to 65/67% wich was still watchable at 10.30 am.

So me tinks with a realy good quality LNB, Top speck cable and connectors, new paint on the dish that should do it??? Me thinks???

So it is possible to get Nilesat 101/102 with MBC4 & One Tv during the day as well as the night.

Thanks to all of you that helped us get this together.

Yours
Josh

J

Jeff_19341

Then it starts to drizzle and bang goes your Nilesat viewing, sorry I just had to let you know. (20 miles up the road from you).
Jeff:)

jjandrj6679

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate H&H 1.2 Motor
104 cm Dish
My Location
Colchester, Essex
Well its almost a success... Jeff

We turned off at 11.30 am, set the DVD R to 2.30 pm, but allas we ended up with a fuzzy picture, but thats better than no picture at all, and there is more room for tweeking.

Im going to get a new LNB as I do not believe that this one is realy 0.2 dB as Ive read that it would have to be super cooled to be a 0.2???

Am I waisting my cash, should I go for some top grade cable as well/instred, would all these factors bring the singnal up by a couple of percent?

Its raining tonight so Im not going anywhere near it till its dried out, I hate getting a wet bum....lol

What times do you get Nilsat up n runnin clearly Jeff?

I take it your not living in the sea, Im in Colchester, The sea is about 10 miles away. Where are you?

Thanks again and Ill keep you informed.

Yours
Josh

J

Jeff_19341

Hi Josh
When I actually lived in Ipswich Town, Colchester was 20 miles down the A12 from there. Hence Ipswich locale is 20 miles up the road (A12) from you and not in the sea:-rofl2 .
You have to take the rough with the smooth with Nilesat, the UK is way out of the footprint. You can see my gear from my profile. Pretty good overall reception from that bird in general but drizzle and rain will kill the signal. I tried a 1.25m dish last year and got slightly better results but not 100% and never any sign of the Horizontal transponders. I find that reception improves as the weather gets warmer, ie late spring and summer and early autumn.
The above are the results I have recorded at my location with my equipment.

jjandrj6679

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate H&H 1.2 Motor
104 cm Dish
My Location
Colchester, Essex
Jeff does that mean that you get a good pic and sound during the day? as Id love to know how? Are you getteng good results on MBC4 & OneTv too?

Im in Ipswich nearly every weekend nights, Im a cabbie and I come to pick up our dregs and slaps, to stop them from ruining your town as they have ours..lol

JJ

jjandrj6679

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate H&H 1.2 Motor
104 cm Dish
My Location
Colchester, Essex
Hi Twag42,
Why specifically a Triax 110 dish?
Is there something special about them?

Josh

BadWithComputer

The Local Drunkard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
30MB ADSL ONO, Spain
32" Internet connected TV
Many Satellite Dishes.
Humax HD Freesat Box
My Location
Spain
Jeff_19341 said:
Hi Josh
When I actually lived in Ipswich Town, Colchester was 20 miles down the A12 from there. Hence Ipswich locale is 20 miles up the road (A12) from you and not in the sea:-rofl2 .
You have to take the rough with the smooth with Nilesat, the UK is way out of the footprint. You can see my gear from my profile. Pretty good overall reception from that bird in general but drizzle and rain will kill the signal. I tried a 1.25m dish last year and got slightly better results but not 100% and never any sign of the Horizontal transponders. I find that reception improves as the weather gets warmer, ie late spring and summer and early autumn.
The above are the results I have recorded at my location with my equipment.

I notice youve changed your username, but you´ll always be jumbuck to us! Is´nt MBC also on arabsat? Have you tried it on that bird?

J

Jeff_19341

Yes Alex
I start being paid my State Retirement Pension on 19th march so I thought that I would change by useing my name and DOB:-rofl2
Hope that the sat meter s and lnb are still working.

jjandrj6679

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate H&H 1.2 Motor
104 cm Dish
My Location
Colchester, Essex
Hi AlexBellisBrown

"I notice youve changed your username, but you´ll always be jumbuck to us! Is´nt MBC also on arabsat? Have you tried it on that bird?" ??? ???

I have used the same Username for the past 5 years, and this in my first set of posts to do with satellites...... I think you must be mistaked or it was not directed at me.

Anyhows what is a " jumbuck" ???

Yours
Josh

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
AB was refering to Jeff19341 :-doh!