No 3G network,,, but it works.

Robbiewright

Member of the Big Dish Club
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky plus V3 and a 50 inch plasma screen.
My Location
Cairo, Egypt
We are trying to get a decent internet connection at home,ADSL is out of the question due to where we live[ one option we are looking at is the Little box from Vodafone. I was given a 3G handset by Vodapone for spending so much money with them but where we live here in Cairo the signal is poor and the hand set indicates there in no 3G coverage but just up the road a bit it kicks in, however it is still possible to connect to the internet with it. I wanted to now if it is still using the 3G network or does the phone switch to some sort back up of dial up mode to connect or something costing an arm and a leg. In short I wanted to know if we get a Little Box, will it work where we live even though the 3G phone indicates there is no 3G coverage,,,,but still works?

Little Box link,
http://www.vodafone.com.eg/db/JSP/b.../LittleBox.jsp?selectedItem=2401?selectedItem

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Like 3G mobile phones, it should revert to the standard network, so not sure how that will affect cost.

If you placed it higher in the building would you have more luck with the 3G signal? you can get a 50m USB extension kit which uses cat5 cable. :) _http://www.lindy.co.uk/usb-extension-cat5-usb-extender-premium-up-to-50m/42801.html

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
If the phone cannot find a 3G network it will use the 2G network instead.
This will mean much slower data rates depending on what is available on the 2G network found; either GPRS (very slow) or EDGE.( Not quite as slow)

_http://www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/gprs.htm

It will not revert to dial-up. The phone will stay in data mode.

When I connect to the internet on my phone (2G) I am charged for the amount of kbytes I download and not by the time the connection is active for. I would presume this is standard, it would be a bit unfair otherwise for a slow connection.

Robbo:)

Robbiewright

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cairo, Egypt
rolfw said:
Like 3G mobile phones, it should revert to the standard network, so not sure how that will affect cost.

If you placed it higher in the building would you have more luck with the 3G signal? you can get a 50m USB extension kit which uses cat5 cable. :) _http://www.lindy.co.uk/usb-extension-cat5-usb-extender-premium-up-to-50m/42801.html

Don't think so, I have been on the roof with the 3G hand set but still no 3G network. It takes a drive about a mile down the road before it finds one.

Robbiewright

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cairo, Egypt
Robbo71 said:
If the phone cannot find a 3G network it will use the 2G network instead.
This will mean much slower data rates depending on what is available on the 2G network found; either GPRS (very slow) or EDGE.( Not quite as slow)

_http://www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/gprs.htm

It will not revert to dial-up. The phone will stay in data mode.

When I connect to the internet on my phone (2G) I am charged for the amount of kbytes I download and not by the time the connection is active for. I would presume this is standard, it would be a bit unfair otherwise for a slow connection.

Robbo:)

Will that mean the Little Box will work on a 2G network if it can't find a 3G network too?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
If the 2G network has GPRS capabilities then yes.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
Like Robbo says,

if no 3G then it will use 2G, the cost is the same....just slower :(

i use the internet on my Mobile all the time, i use skype and msn while out and about, my phone flips between 3G and 2G all day.

the cost is the same.. i pay for a bundle of 250mb a month, doesnt sound like much in PC terms, but on a mobile thats a lot!

symchaotisch

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nokia e61
My Location
Cario, Egypt
Hallo!

Could you give me some advice regarding cost for 3G networks in Cairo, I am moving there in September and don´t want to miss my :-worship mobile e-mail access.

tobi