"No signal being received" appearing consistently on new Sky+ Digibox. Please help!

swissgooner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
PC, WIndows 7, no sattelite yet. Wanting to buy dreambox.
My Location
Switzerland
Hello,

I bought a new Sky+ digibox and after a week it said “no signal being
received” every time I turned it on. If I unplug it at the mains and
reconnect it, I usually get a signal immediately. But the next time "no signal being received" appears again.

Is this a defective box, or could it be a dodgy head or something not always picking up a
signal? I already changed my digibox as the previous one was noisy and had the same signal problems. I use a Sky+ Digibox with a Hard Drive (not HD). I didn't have these problems before getting a Hard Drive Digibox.

As I live in Switzerland, I can't change the digibox again. The fact that it is possible to get a signal after unplugging the box is very strange?

Second defective box, or dodgy head?

Thanks in advance for your precious help!

Alex from Switzerland

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
You need to check the signal with something that you know that works. If you have no proper sat meter, maybe a fTA receiver would do the job.

What sized dish do you have also? is yours large enough?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Hi, might be worth getting the dish checked for slight misalignment. Given your not in the UK, there could be several reasons for showing these symptoms; dish size for one (not mentioned). Note, the signal strength indication on a digibox will only be looking at one transponder :)

swissgooner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
PC, WIndows 7, no sattelite yet. Wanting to buy dreambox.
My Location
Switzerland
Thanks for responding so quickly.

The dish is 80cm wide. But it has worked for 10 years already. I guess the head is faulty or there is a misalignement. How could I realign it? I don't have a Sat meter and don't know what a fTA receiver is. But I know that if I ask a profesionnal to come, it'll cost a fortune (in Switzerland....)

Thanks again

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Many a satellite hobbiest has used one of the cheap satfinder meters that cost about 10 euros/pounds. But personally when I first started I preferred using a satellite receiver connected to a portable TV out in the garden, as you can go through each transponder and check them, tweaking the dish if necessary.

FTA= Free to Air. These are generic digital satellite receivers sold everywhere. For example Technomate TM5200, or a Clarke Tech.

Might be worth initially, simply fitting a new LNB on it, see if that does the trick.

D

deleted

If you find your signal is ok you could always try a software update on box, downpower box , press and hold in the backup button front end whilst powering up the box keep button held until all lights on box front end light up and wait.