Noisy HD...

Henrik007

Reaction score
The HD worked fine with the PeterPan image before, but after installing Flashwizard and some images with it, it doesnt work the same as before.

I used to be able to set the HD in standby by switching the DB off and on(standby mode). Then the HD didnt start until I wanted it to. Now, it starts all time and I cant put it to standby. It even starts after i put the DB in standby!

Is the HD needed to run cont. because the images are loaded from there?

any suggestions?

Maybe USB with images?

Henrik

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
thats what it is mate, because the images are on the hard drive and not in the flash eprom chip, it needs to constantly access the hard drive...

i have the same problem only mine doesnt make any noise, will put up with it till i pick up a USB memory stick at weekend.

although mine doesnt make a noise, i think its a safe bet to assume its generating plenty of heat..... and with dreamboxes

Heat = locked up dreambox...... reboot!!

bigmantank

Reaction score
My Location
Oxford
Henrik007 said:
The HD worked fine with the PeterPan image before, but after installing Flashwizard and some images with it, it doesnt work the same as before.

I used to be able to set the HD in standby by switching the DB off and on(standby mode). Then the HD didnt start until I wanted it to. Now, it starts all time and I cant put it to standby. It even starts after i put the DB in standby!

Is the HD needed to run cont. because the images are loaded from there?

any suggestions?

Maybe USB with images?

Henrik

You got it right, if you load images and multiboot onto your hd then it will spin all the time, but if you put them onto USB then you won't get that problem.

PS mental note to self, type quicker lol

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
RedDevil_UK said:
thats what it is mate, because the images are on the hard drive and not in the flash eprom chip, it needs to constantly access the hard drive...

i have the same problem only mine doesnt make any noise, will put up with it till i pick up a USB memory stick at weekend.

although mine doesnt make a noise, i think its a safe bet to assume its generating plenty of heat..... and with dreamboxes

Heat = locked up dreambox...... reboot!!
Not only that m8s, but at 5400 rpm, the spindle will rotate about 3 billion times in a year and will it wear out?? Just imagine a chisel on an oiled wet-stone, you sharpen it by rubbing it back and forth for five mins, well a year of hdd running is like sharpening the chisel for 90 years.

Henrik007

Reaction score
So a USB it is then.

Also thinking alot about the ngrab utility. Any bad exp there?

Henrik

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
The Normal Mean time between failures (MTBF) for an EIDE or IDE hard drive is only 300k - 500k hours. an SCSI could normally be expected to reach as high as 800-1000k hours These numbers will be substantially less in an intense video environment the like of our lovely satellite hobby. Here 100k-300k Hours, so watch out for those unusual noises and backup before failure.

Regards

Old Satellite

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
Old Satellite said:
The Normal Mean time between failures (MTBF) for an EIDE or IDE hard drive is only 300k - 500k hours. an SCSI could normally be expected to reach as high as 800-1000k hours These numbers will be substantially less in an intense video environment the like of our lovely satellite hobby. Here 100k-300k Hours, so watch out for those unusual noises and backup before failure.

Regards

Old Satellite
Even 100k hours is already 4,000 days, over 10 years. By then we'll be talking about the good old digital hdd days . . . . in the entangled photon video in your brain implant before you even think of it age. I was running an analogue filmnet decoder less than 10 years ago . . . . .

Henrik007

Reaction score
Again, what about the ngrab. That should give me the proper environment AND posibility to record:-) Does it work good??

Henrik

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
haggard said:
Not only that m8s, but at 5400 rpm, the spindle will rotate about 3 billion times in a year and will it wear out??

I have been running several Mac Quadra 650s 24hrs a day for the past eight years and they are all still going strong.

They run as picture servers and are under constant access.