Not very exciting..but another milestone for me

Many thanks for the feedback Doktor and BombedOne

Sadly I cannot receive 68.5East ...and its not for want of trying ...
I suspect its too low on the Horizon at my location ...and this is likely the reason for the wild variations in signal levels on 66East ..
This Bird is most likely as low on the Horizon as I can get to the East determined by my height above sea level ...the elevation angle ...and the signals passage which effectively is obstructed by the Pennines even though they are many miles away ..
Reception is always best in the early evening ...and at certain times of the day it basically vanishes ..
I've even considered phases of the sun and moon as an effect .. but daily tidal distortion in rock account for only a few centimeters ..so was discounted.
I'm thinking the effects I experience at low elevation are more likely to be a lensing effect of the eaths atmosphere on the the singnals passing through them ...which at such a shallow angle accounts for a very large density of air ..
..which could then bring into the equation distant weather formations..
Or ...
the satellite simply wobbles a few mtres ...which at such an vast distance away ...would indeed be amplified ..
certainly one thing I can conclude as I've observed it first hand ...
Is that the variable signal can be received over a large span than say a signal from space at 1 deg or due south ..directly overhead ..
A similar effect would be observed by shining a torch beam at a low angle accross a floor as opposed to directly overhead to the same area of floor..
So ..there it is ..
I doubt I'll ever 'see' 68.5 East ..unless I mount the dish higher than my house ...or move to a higher location..
66 appears to be my current limit ..
rgds
VS
 
Back
Top