Newbie Here Nova Greece

xd andy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Mini Dish zone 2, Nova Receiver (Pace DS831), Tracked to Hotbird 13E, LG 49UF850V Smart TV with built in DVB-S/S2 module and CI slot.
My Location
Shropshire, UK
Hi all,

apologies for dropping in, but I couldn't find any definite info elsewhere.

We currently have a Nova Greece subscription, card, and box (Nova branded Pace DS831) working nicely.

As a result of our old LG TV dying (11 years old), we bought a new one; 49UF850V smart TV.

Unknowingly, it has a built in DVB-S/S2 receiver as well as a DVB-T/T2 freeview, but the satellite side is not configured towards freestat.

It also has a CI slot.

As the dish is already tracked on Hotbird 13E, I've performed a blind scan, and picked up whats available. Sadly the only greek language FTA channel is RIK Sat, and all the Nova channels are encrypted, unsurprisingly.

Now, I've wall mounted this TV, and am quite keen to loose cables and remotes, so am keen to use the internal DVB-S2 tuner and dump the PACE box.

I've looked a lot around and about the issue of obtaining an Irdeto CAM, and they all seem to claim that they contain the necessary encryption algorithms to decode Nova.

But I cannot find anything anywhere on anyone actually being successful at this.

Has anyone any experience of doing this, and gotten it to work?

If not, does anyone know if I can get a suitable CAM allowing me to access Sky, with an official card ofc, and with a dish realignment to Astra.

If not this, then is the CI slot and CAM modules actually good for anything worthwhile ?

kind regards and TIA

Andy

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Sorry, but you're out of luck. Just like with a good number of providers out there, you're simply stuck with the box that they supply you with. As you rightly mention, the normal Irdeto CAM will not have necessary pairing keys for your card - only your receiver does. Same issue with Sky...

I can only think of a small number of providers that will give you a CAM that will work with their card.
  • Vivacom Bulgaria supply their NDS CAM (45E)
  • Sky Caucasus - TrophyAccess CAM (46E)
  • Canal Digital - Conax CAM (1W)
  • French providers - TNT Sat/Fransat/C+/BIS - Viaccess (19E/13E/5W)
  • Polsat - Nagravision (13E)
Some other providers still work with "generic" CAMs... but, sadly, not Nova Greece. It used to but not for the past couple of years.

xd andy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Mini Dish zone 2, Nova Receiver (Pace DS831), Tracked to Hotbird 13E, LG 49UF850V Smart TV with built in DVB-S/S2 module and CI slot.
My Location
Shropshire, UK
Captain Jack, many thanks for that.

Confirmed my suspicions.

Out of interest, can I access Freest content without a card? I've not tried the dish on 28E yet, but it may be worth a second LNB on the dish if I can get FreeSAT content.

But I am curious, in that what is out there on the the satellite network that is FTA that's worth watching? Seems most is encrypted and if content is limited to matched receivers and cards, and boxes aren't issued unless to a geographically acceptable location/client, what on earth are people doing with their toroidal systems tacked to 10+ satellites? I didn't even know toroidal systems existed til I started reading the forums here.

TIA

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
what on earth are people doing with their toroidal systems tacked to 10+ satellites?

Good Lord, you don't think we actually watch televison?? :-rofl2

Seriously, there are many thousands of free to air channels across the satellite arc. It greatly depends on what you are interested in. I can access 16 satellites with my fixed set up and have 'favourite lists' set up for music video channels, HD channels (mostly German, some Arabic, some Turkish), sports and French TV. Oh not forgetting a Freesat list which doesn't require a viewing card.

xd andy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Shropshire, UK
what have i stumbled into .....

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
No way out now, Andy...

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
what have i stumbled into .....

The greatest hobby going :D

many of us are far more interested in the technical side of things - for instance I was thrilled to bits to log another new country in the clear broadcasting to Europe last week. I cant speak a word of the Turkmenistan language but the pictures of the city after closedown are very pretty indeed - even my missus has commented about how nice the cities look all lit up at night

:D

zorbua

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD
Dreambox 800se
Dreambox 900UHD
Clark Tech 5000 HD
Numerous other receivers (Retired)
Dish Gibertini 1.5 M
Dishes Gibertini 1.2 x2
Dish Gibertini 1 M
My Location
Malta

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
I can only think of a small number of providers that will give you a CAM that will work with their card.
Also Tivu . FWIW I've never got TNT (French) working with a viasat CAM on my Solo2.

It's deep Andy....deep and bottomless...but quite rewarding:D
Mercifully it's *relatively* cheap, not like golf or, er, hifi... :)