obstructions!

bambos22

Reaction score
excuse my igorance on this matter!

Are obstructions like roofs, trees, distant houses, light poles going to block signals to the dish! To what extent should i worry about this?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Worry about it if it is actually in the way, not just appears to be. Depends on which satellites you are trying to see, but bear in mind that in the Southern UK, most of the watchable satellites are at 25 degrees elevation or above, which is about 1 in 2. So a 30ft obstacle, if more than 60 ft away, will not cause a problem.

PS. Don't know where you are, as you don't say, just using Southern UK as a reference.

bambos22

Reaction score
i live in glasgow and i have Hellas 2 which is at 39 degrees east. I have a 1 meter dish. I use a dish which was originaly used for an analogue pace system. I now use a Triax digital receiver and replaced my Cambridge 0.9db Lnb for are 0.3lnb. When i got my dish realigned, i was told i may need to change the dish because it may not be suited.

The system works okay but the picture quality should be better. It sometimes goes pixely but rarely breaks altogether. I want to know what is the best set up. Do you think also i should use my original Lnb since it was compatiabel with that dish. Can you or anyone help?

Thankyou

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I presume that the LNB has an integrated feed and is not a C120 type, so any good quality one should suffice, although some work better with certain dishes.

Have you tried moving the LNB backwards or forwards in the holder, this will slightly adjust the focal lnegth, or perhaps playing about with the skew, it should be quite a bit for 39E.

bambos22

Reaction score
Thanks RolfW for your help. Ive been looking at glossarys to try and understand the terms. I understand things better now. Not sure how best to approach things but will try your suggestions.
The peole who realligned the dish( a reputable dealer) say it is fine. I have spent a lot of money for their services. The picture quality is not say as good as from a sky dish. I am frustrated at my lack of understanding