OD BOXES (NEW USER)

MUZZAMINT1

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
I RECENTLY READ A NEWSLETTER SAYING THAT OD WERE ABLE TO DETECT BOXES WHICH HAVE USED PIRATED CARDS. IS THIS A TRUE FACT OR NOT AS I HAVE A HIRED PHILLIPS BOX + GOLD CARD? IF SO, IS THERE A WAY ROUND IT. MY CONTRACT PERIOD IS UP IN A FEW MONTHS AND I WILL HAVE TO GIVE IT BACK?? I DONT WANT TO GET SUED!! HELP!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes it's quite possible, whether in the real world they will check is a different matter.

Rolf

PS, please could you type in lower and upper case, as it's a bit hard on the eyes all in caps. Thanks

D

djlins

Truth is, when you use only a gold card then your OSC card isnt getting the updates that they send out. When you give your card back they might say (So havent you been watching TV for the last x months then?). If you update your OSC I think there is a flag to say it has been written to outside of the planned updates, and they can find out again. The truth is though what can they do and what can they prove.. You might've had it but not turned it on for months and they cannot prove otherwise. While they can prove you have been paying for certain channels but not using your original card, they also cannot actually prove that a different card was used in it's place, the box doesnt log information like that.
Theres no need to panic but it might be worth leaving your original card in overnight on $ky 1 or channel 26 to get any updates before you hand it back.

C

CodeComplete

There has also been talk that the box may keep a log of viewed channels. If that is the case they coudl see that you had been watching PPV channels without ordering them... Maybe do a factory reset of the box before it is collected ?