Ofcom Gives 'White Space' a Thumbs-Up

Rachel_Sandford

News Hound
Reaction score
In a recent statement, communications regulator Ofcom revealed that their moves to use 'white space' for rural broadband and WiFi are well on the way. The regulator has just finished acquiring Parliamentary approval for making white space devices license-exempt. This required a change to The Communications Act of 2003. Now that they have approval, they can continue their current trials for perfecting the technology.

But what IS white space?

White space is the common name for the gaps between the bands used for TV and radio broadcasts. According to Ofcom, these bands, which have twice the range of current broadband and WiFi technology, may be the solution to the problem of providing broadband and WiFi in rural areas.

Ed Richards, Ofcom's chief executive said: “At an early stage Ofcom identified the potential of white spaces, which are currently lying vacant all around us.”

In Ofcom's proposal, Internet providers will have permission to use these bands; unlicensed white space data services will be sharing the spectrum with licensed operators. The regulator proposes a rather specific system which involves 'white space devices' working with a central online hosted database. The device will reveal its location to the database, and the database will let the device know which frequencies and what power it can use.

The database will be careful to make sure that no TV interference occurs, and it will have the ability to shut down white space devices if interference is detected. For as long as there is no interference, providers won't need a license. Ofcom predicts that the system will probably work best in local set-ups using router-like devices.

Trials are already well underway in Bute and Cambridge, and so far the results have been impressive. Ofcom believes that the system will be ready for commercial use in 2013, putting the country ahead of the rest of the world, which means it will be in a position to define international standards for the technology. The regulator also revealed that it is also considering the space freed up from the radio switchover, from analogue to digital.

“Within Europe, we have been leading the way to try to harness this capacity without causing harmful interference to existing users of the spectrum,” said Richards in his statement. “The solution we have devised creates the opportunity to maximise the efficient use of spectrum and open the door to the development of a new and exciting range of consumer and business applications.”

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Hmm... must be those spikes I keep getting on my speccy on UHF...:eek:

Don't like the idea of unlicenced transmissions between the 400 and 800 MHz TV passbands.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Can the internal PC/Mac - Airport ? - stuff use this set of frequencies ?

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
Not good news for us SWL`s then, more noise to bleed over to other bands like those nasty PLT homeplug thingies do)(-red

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Channel Hopper said:
Can the internal PC/Mac - Airport ? - stuff use this set of frequencies ?

Nope, standard WiFi uses 2.4GHz (the same frequency as a microwave oven incidentally), so I'd guess they have come up with a modem-router for WiFi or standalone modem that you connect to a computer directly, just as you have cable modems on cable TV networks and ADSL modems on twisted pair telephone networks, they all Modulate and demodulate into the appropriate signals to work with the setup they're using... :)

That said, the idea of wireless networking over long distances ain't new, they've been using microwave links for donkeys years for essentially the same thing, it's just an adaptation of the technology using the bandwidth freed up from killing off an essential public service (imagine, a national emergency, digital transmissions fail, analogue would have worked had they not removed the infrastructure, national panic ensues cos of lack of information, blah de blah), it'd be interesting to see how it performs compared to the likes of 3G based mobile broadband, which works great usually, but only round largely populated areas...

In the meantime, there are always WiFi Cantennas and modified satellite dishes to beam Wifi over respectable distances... :D