Opening Stab HH90

vb1966

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000 - Dual Core Vista
My Location
Malta
My Stab HH90 has given up on me. I can hear the motor working, but the shaft does not turn at all. I thought at having a look inside to see what is wrong, but the plastic cover won't budge. It seems to be sealed shut even after removing all four screws. Any ideas how to receive the cover without damaging it, any tricks?

vb1966

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000 - Dual Core Vista
My Location
Malta
My Stab HH90 has given up on me. I can hear the motor working, but the shaft does not turn at all. I thought at having a look inside to see what is wrong, but the plastic cover won't budge. It seems to be sealed shut even after removing all four screws. Any ideas how to receive the cover without damaging it, any tricks?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Giving the casing a sharp tap should break the seal

The STAB rotor I took apart had metal gears throughout, so I would expect the failure may be down to the primary motor cog slipping on the shaft.

vb1966

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000 - Dual Core Vista
My Location
Malta
Thanks. I've managed to open the motor's case. And lo and behold it now seems to be working. Also it doesn't seem that the gears are too much worn down (see pictures). I've had the motor for four years, and I am surprised that its condition looks quite decent. In fact I think that I will put some grease and put it back on and see if it works with the dish. Maybe the dish weight will cause it to malfunction again. Does the grease need to have any particular properties, or normal grease will do?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Certainly looks in good condition for four years old. I'd be inclined to soak test it a few days before reassembling back on the dish.

Nice pictures :)

vb1966

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000 - Dual Core Vista
My Location
Malta
Is an off-load test good enough? I wouldn't know how I could test it on load without re-attaching it to the dish though. But I appreciate your comment, I don't wish to spend time mounting it again, only for it to stop again.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
vb1966 said:
Is an off-load test good enough? I wouldn't know how I could test it on load without re-attaching it to the dish though. But I appreciate your comment, I don't wish to spend time mounting it again, only for it to stop again.

Check if the top bearing in the casing has run dry/seized, as the rest of the motor is now turning. I would still check the cog isn't slipping on the motor shaft. Lock it in place with some araldite.

vb1966

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000 - Dual Core Vista
My Location
Malta
Just a short update on the above.

I have greased the motor and finally found some time to put it back on. I have to report that it is working absolutely fine. I am not sure why it did not work in the first place. However my suspicion is that with increased load on the motor since I had fitted an additional LNB, the pressure on the sides of the motor casing must have increased, and maybe if I had decreased the tightening of the bolts, it would have worked without removing it in the first instance.

Anyway the important thing for me is that it is working perfectly. Thanks for all your help.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Oh well - nice result!