oscam and cccam - terminology help - complete beginner

hiohaa

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
vu duo
My Location
england
hello.
i am really struggling in this world of linux stb's, and it doesnt help when people speak assuming you have prior knowledge.
i have not been able to find a single proper step by step guide explaining exactly how to setup oscam, for eg.

i am a legit subscriber. for ages i was using VIX with cccam, and it all worked fine - didnt have to change any settings, or anything - just put the boxkey/volts line in the cccam.cfg and it was all good.

then the new f1/mtv hd channels came out. i rescanned. the channels were there - but all i got was a black screen.
i tried the latest cccam, but this didn't seem to install properly at all.

so i tried oscam, and it worked. again, didnt change any settings. i could now see all my subscription channels.
now i have a new problem - i come back to the box after maybe 24 hours, and all the subscription channels dont work. I have to restart oscam, and they work again.
why? this is a terrible scenario because now i can't leave it to record stuff over several days, if i have to restart oscam every night!

also with the latest VIX image, build 204, i got all kinds of problems. the hard drive won't start sometimes when you press the power button on the remote, and the thing is just dead, i have to switch it off and on again at the back.

this morning for example, i went to the web browser, typed in IP, it came up with the channels, but i couldnt stream anything because it just seemed to die.

im begging someone on here to take the time out to help me, hell i'll even pay. im based in midlands UK, near Derby, i'll pay someone i duno..50 quid. to come and help me set things up properly. i'll cover your fuel as well.

hiohaa

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
vu duo
My Location
england
also im reading horror stories about how with oscam it triggers some sort of sky thing and they switch your card off?
i just dont understand any of it. as i say...i'll pay.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
At the end of the day you need to sit down and spend a few hours reading and tinkering. Linux boxes arent plug and play - there is a considerable investment of head-scratching, sweat tears etc required.

Its all well and good offering 50 quid to get yourself up and running this time but what happens next time there is a change - pay again - or fix it yourself because you learned how the things work under the bonnet.

hiohaa

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
vu duo
My Location
england
Analoguesat said:
At the end of the day you need to sit down and spend a few hours reading and tinkering. Linux boxes arent plug and play - there is a considerable investment of head-scratching, sweat tears etc required.

Its all well and good offering 50 quid to get yourself up and running this time but what happens next time there is a change - pay again - or fix it yourself because you learned how the things work under the bonnet.

........well thats what im trying to do. pay someone 50 quid to come round and explain everything to me...
i wasnt going to just invite someone over and run away to the kitchen whilst everything was set up. also i gave the choice, i said i was willing to work through it on the forum as well. if you actually read what i said properly.

also - what a pointless reply - i was kind of hoping someone would attempt to help and answer my questions about oscam, and the hard drive, and instead i get another typical unhelpful forum response.

playing about and tinkering will only get you so far, but its like trying to do a science experiment without learning the basic concepts. 5 days of tinkering versus a few hours of someone explaining what all the terms mean.....

also its obvious from my post that i've attempted to do just that, tinkering and fiddling, because as you can see ive been using different cams and trying different things.

guess i'll have to find another forum where hopefully there'll be someone more sensible and will be happy to help.

thanks for your utterly pointless response.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Sorry you feel that way but please realise that we get loads of folk who ask for help and who arent prepared to put the legwork in to get themselves up to speed. We have no idea of what level of commitment you are willing to put in.

You wouldnt believe the amount of folk who offer money to get their cams running - we give everyone roughly the same advice

It may not have been the answer you want, but please note mine was the only reply you have had so far - Oscam is a bit of a black art and many folk cba with it.

A nonymous

Reaction score
Does the card work in the S k y box. I'm guessing it won't.

The entitlements have probably ran out. Stick the card back in the s k y box for a few days to let the card update. Once updated It should start working again in your vu+.

OSCam is not the easiest emu to setup, but if you have had it working its setup correctly its just more than likely you haven't got it setup properly so it updates the card. If after a few days in the S k y box it hasn't come back on, you will have to ring up Sky and tell them your card has been lost.

Removed by a young child in the household is the favorite one to use.

If you need more indepth explanation on how to setup OSCam you will need to look at one of the other forums that deal with that emu as you will only get general info on this forum due to the fact that OSCam is normally used to defraud the major TV operators.

Nano