Out of zone reception of Insat 3A - First results.

Yes, it's going to be that! :)

The channels of my interest are broadcasted from 1H currently, so receiving this bird is very interesting for me :)
 
Today rotated it to various satellites, currently aimed at 68.5E. Most C band transponders are ok, but lyngsat data is incorrect for a lot of them - transponder is on, but no channels on it.
 
Today I tried to receive 38E - No luck. Signal from 40E is very strong and interfering heavy. I successfully received 30.5E, 40E, 49E, 83E, 90E.

Dish already becoming apart - wind is very strong, mesh is very fragile, already thorn in a lot of places, I quickfixed it using nylon ties and hotmelt glue.

So I think installing actuator for it won't be a good idea. Now I'm thinking to move it to more wind-protected area, and set up multifeed on it 76.5E+90E
 
BombedOne said:
Dish already becoming apart - wind is very strong, mesh is very fragile, already thorn in a lot of places, I quickfixed it using nylon ties and hotmelt glue.

So I think installing actuator for it won't be a good idea. Now I'm thinking to move it to more wind-protected area, and set up multifeed on it 76.5E+90E

If the reflector skeleton is intact and undamaged, you could reinforce it and install solid aluminium plates cut to the same dimensions as the mesh.
Many metal foundries near here are crying out for work, and redundant stock going for just above cost (plus a bit of labour) is often wlecome.
 
Yes, skeleton is undamaged, and I can cut out sheets of aluminum by myself, but this will cost me as two such new dishes (For $250 I can buy brand new solid 2 meter dish) :) Steel sheets are much cheaper, but skeleton is also made from aluminum, so it would not withstand such heavy load.

Currently, I have following ideas in my head:

1. Go find more solid and durable mesh (as I reckon, I've seen it somewhere on the market). (cheapest, and maybe most effective so far)

2. Buy thin sheet steel, install on existing skeleton, reinforce the skeleton. (costy)

3. Use existing skeleton as primer, weld new one from steel, install sheets. (costy & long way, since I can work only weekends on it, will require me month or so)

The main idea why I went with mesh dish, was an attempt to minimize wind load, since in my area, northwest winds are typically strong from October till May, so I thought, that mesh will be more easy to motorize, in such occasion (and yes, today I watched, it behaves quite stable in wind)

So, I think to do the following:

1. Go to market, find a mesh, install it.
2. Go check for 38E again, if it's receivable, then I'll think about actuator setup.
3. If not able to receive 38E, than install this dish at place, where I currently have 1.5m primefocus solid dish aimed at 90E (more wind protected area), and configure multifeed on it. Use remaining polar mount for existing 1.5m dish installation

Big size really rocks :) I found interesting thing - I can receive most circular polarization satellites, even without depolarisation plate. Just signal is a bit lower.
 
Signal would be between 2 and 3dB lower without the correct feed. It looks like you have a dish of the right size, just not strong enough to withstand the weather at your location.

Motor drives and mesh dishes are a tricky thing, the weight of the dish changing the parabola can alter the arc all on its own.

Don't give up.
 
Yesterday was heavy wind. So we can say goodbye to my mesh dish. Was broken in small pieces, just polar mount remains intact and LNB (saved by cable).
 
Analoguesat said:
TPS no longer exists - its closed completely (merged with CanalSat France) so its not going to be that

As far as we know its Astra 1H that 1M will be replacing:

_http://www.lyngsat.com/astra1h.html

BombedOne said:
Yes, it's going to be that! :)

The channels of my interest are broadcasted from 1H currently, so receiving this bird is very interesting for me :)

Update on Astra 1M - change of plan from SES-Astra - shes replacing Astra 1G

"ASTRA 1M will replace ASTRA 1G from 20 january start full serivce. However not only ASTRA 1G Txps will move to ASTRA 1M, but also other Txps from other satellites will change satellite. The full new constellation will be available via ASTRA channel guide as of end February: _http://www.ses-astra.com/consumer/en/channel-guide/index.php"
 
That is also very good info, if coverage beam will be same as 1M :)
 
Hello BombedOne,


thats very sad to hear!

any chance to get a new one - if theres better Wether?


Regards Montafon Guy!
 
Chances always do exist, the price & available funds are the most common problem :)
 
Today I've re-inforced mount of that 150cm dish, to make it more durable in the wind, tomorrow I've install it and test. This time - solely Ku band.
 
Back
Top