Out of zone reception of Insat 3A - First results.

BombedOne

Regular Member
My Satellite Setup
Covering 30W-105.5E range, two motors, C and Ku band. Various receivers/cards/cams/etc.
My Location
Republic of Georgia
There are two satellites at 93.5E position, Insat 3A and Insat 4B. According to coverage maps, 3A covers only India in C band, while 4B has much wider beam.

_http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/in3a_indiac.html
_http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/in4b_ecc.html

I've aligned my 2.4m prime focus mesh dish to that satellites couple of days ago, but was not able to perform detailed testing, since there was no cable going to my receiver from it. Today I've installed cable, and surprisingly, I was able to receive most of Insat 3A C band beam! Signal strength on some transponders was 90%, which is very good for SkyStar 2.3i, since lowest treshold for this card is 28% - below it picture becomes unstable. You can check the list of channels I was able receive from this satellite at attached picture. I was able to get even more frequencies, just there were feed frequencies, and no channels currently on them.

Regarding Insat 4B - all transponders are receivable in my zone using this set-up.

at weekend, I'll try to install Ku band LNB to this dish, and check for coverage of Ku band frequencies also.
 

Attachments

  • insat3a.webp
    insat3a.webp
    67.7 KB · Views: 83
You have done exceptionally well, which LNB is being used ?
 
Cheap $9 one, Supermax VH-999 Super.
 
Fabulous stuff - I love these reports of well out of footprint reception :)
 
Too bad, this rarely happens for Astra fleet in my region :( trough, there are reports of receiving Astra 1KR using stock 1.2m offset dish, just 500km west from me.
 
Looks like Astra 1KR/L have a very sharp beam edge. In Cyprus you can also receive them very well on 1.20m but <400km away in Israel a 1.80m does not get them. At least that's what i've seen on one report lately without knowing if the 1.80m is of high quality and well installed.

I don't wanna get too OT but since you're trying C-Band, could you please also check http://www.lyngsat.com/china6b.html ?
 
How about the new Protostar 1 at 98.5E - Not much active on it at the moment but the c-band payload covers the eastern Mediterranean to Australia!

The Indian spotbeam seems to be fairly highpower :)
 
just to add to your great work check this up from Slovakia

just love Roman david work!!!

_http://web2.dxsatcs.66.sk/php66/index.php?str=5

regards
 
After I'll install the motor, I'll check as much as possible.


115.5E is clearly receivable here - there's "house of chinese products" shop here, my friend installed C band dish for them, aimed to that satellite.
 
Alright but with which dish size and can be all frequencies be gotten ?
 
Dish looks to be 2.4m, regarding frequencies, I have no idea, since now this shop is closed down, so nobody to ask (dish still remains on rooftop)
 
I see and how about yours ? Or is this satellite blocked due to very low elevation ?
 
As I have no motor now, my dish is fixed to 93.5E. So I don't think I'll be able to receive any other satellite, unless I install motor or weather gets fine. I just fitted combo C/Ku LNB to it, but there's no reception in Ku band from this satellite (but I haven't fine tuned LNB rotation and insertion depth yet).
 
You're right, i forgot that you don't have installed a motor and winter there is much colder than here.
 
I'd like to clarify one thing - How should I install C120 Ku band feedhorn on such a big dish? scalar ring for C band should remain in place no doubts - it's connecting 4 support feets together. C120 feedhorn perfectly fits into it's hole and can be secured using included nut of scalar ring. But how deep it should be located? in linge with C band scalar rings, or more deeper?
 
BombedOne said:
Too bad, this rarely happens for Astra fleet in my region :( trough, there are reports of receiving Astra 1KR using stock 1.2m offset dish, just 500km west from me.


Astra 1M looks much more favourable for you

_http://www.ses-astra.com/resources/pdf/en-shared/orbital-slots/0_19_2E_brochure.pdf

(page 4) - theres a distinct kink in the footprint eastwards towards Georgia :)
 
Yes, but it is not active yet.... :)
 
Give it a few weeks - shes finished In Orbit Testing & is on the way to 19E
 
For me ot will be optimal if TPS will move to it :)
 
TPS no longer exists - its closed completely (merged with CanalSat France) so its not going to be that

As far as we know its Astra 1H that 1M will be replacing:

_http://www.lyngsat.com/astra1h.html
 
Back
Top