Pace Box frozen on BBC1

B

BarrieAd

Hi all, I have a Pace box that has frozen on BBC1, the remote will not function and nor will any of the buttons on the box itself.

I have unplugged and repowered up countless times to no avail, and I have tried leaving it unplugged overnight and repowering again no joy.
When the box is powered up the only button that works is the on/off button on the box itself that takes me to BBC1 and that works fine with the ondig banner for that channel visible for a while and then after that no button on the box or remote will work at all, I have to take the power lead out to turn it off again.

I know the remote works ok because I have tried it on another box.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards
Barrie

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Barrie, guess that you're getting a bit fed up with BBC1 by now then :)

Do all the lights on the front panel work when you switch it on, if not, it could be the ribbon connector has somehow come adrift inside, certainly worth checking.

The only procedure I can think of trying is to try the forced update procedure, holding the backup button in while plugging the unit in, this may work as it's possibly the operating software that is corrupt.
It won't of course work if the front panel interface is not working.

Rolf

zansi

Moderator & General Globetrotter
Reaction score
Website
digiboxes.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Openbox F3 85cm dish H to H motor, Dell Vostro Laptop
My Location
North West UK
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 18-Feb-02 AT 09:31 AM (GMT)]I think Rolf is referring to a Sky box, as the question was posted in the ITV digital section I presume that it is a Pace OD Receiver.

There is a small hole next to the card slot, if you press a small screwdriver in the hole to operate the switch,this resets the unit.

Hopefully this will cure the "lock-up" of your unit.

zansi

B

BarrieAd

Hi guys thanks for the replies Rolf and zansi, have tried the reset but still no joy any other suggestions or do I need to spend some of my hard earned money on an Engineer? I am a bit wary of looking inside the box itself but will if necessary.

Regards
Barrie

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
OOPS, sorry Barry, of course you were referring to an ITV Box, my only excuse is I'm not well :)

Rolf

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Just a thought

Have you replaced the TV lately, do you have a Sony TV or any type of Infra red sender in the room ?

Sometimes the radiation from the TV CRT or residue output from the sender will make the remote control signal appear as noise on the set top box

Unplug everything thats not used in the room and try again, or plug it into a different TV.

Otherwise the usual, new batteries for the remote, check none of the buttons are depreseed into the housing, take the remote apart and clean the sweat, coffee, sweat, food particles and other detritus from the pads and PCB, dry thoroughly and start again

Best way to open a remote is of all things to drop it onto a hard surface such as floorboards

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Forgot to add, energy efficient bulbs can also make the remote seem like its not working

B

bennygoodman

I had the same problem with a Phillips but this was stuck on itv, it took me 1/2 an hour to unfreeze it, the method i used was to keep turning the power on and off and pressing the front panel buttons on the left and right numerous times, at one point i must have hit the right combination because the box unfroze and now works perfectly, i didnt just do this a couple of times, i did this every few seconds for 1/2 an hour, try pressing the buttons separatley as the power comes on and then 2 at a time as the power comes on, maybe i was just lucky i dont know, but its worth trying.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Are you popular with the women ?