Pace makes more business on Fleabay!

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
:D Hi all,

These last weeks I have felt like a woman with a monthly problem; but without the physical excretions.

My Panny died (my second) and over the last three days I have been on Fleabay finding a replacement (well, trying).

My box of choice the Pace DS430N - don't know why? Forget Panasonic - they can rot in hell. Reminds me, I still have to write to SES-Astra to find out whether they still use the Panny as their preferred receiver (as seen in the publicity pics I found a couple of weeks back).

My problem has been getting to grips with the process of Ebay.

-1d34m51s=GBP 13.23

-39m23s=25.99

[make a bid] 27.02

-8m43s=27.02

-3m38s=27.02

Still good :D

Time passes ..................................... then:eek:

-0m28s=33.95 Moron1
-0m24s=46.89 teebug8
-0m17s=49.50 wannato2559
-0m06s=66.37 gemimijib48

winning bid at 0m06s=66.37 quid.'O'-red

All of the names appearing in the last minute didn't even bid in/over the last three days ? What's that for an auction? Uuumm, I am new to this - and Paypal:-ohmy

Whatever, I am not convinced that a one year old 430N is worth anything over 50 quid anyway, but I have lost 3 auctions in a row.

:mad:

P.S. I'll get there. I have to bear in mind the ridiculous P&P charges that sellers are claiming. Like its typically 30quid to Berlin (actually its about 22quid - excluding SCART). I know that from my last post of a SKY box to Berlin: the Panny30 No.2 that just died.

:-ohmy

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
'Snipers' m8. Be one or get beat.

Study the auction pricing, calc the bid increment and bid just over an increment at the highest amount you are happy to pay, and in the last 30 seconds.

Don't bid more than once, just bid your highest and late. Get a stopwatch!

Bidding late sometimes tends to keep the price down, as noobs often get into a stoopid bidding war way before it starts to get interesting.

Doesn't always work. You still win some and lose some, but you'll sometimes get a bargain. Also bid for stuff that ends in the daytime, as (apparently) some people have to go to work then?!

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
I guess you have done this before. There isn't anything you have just said that isn't true. LOL.

I still have a feeling that I am walking down the street with a cellphone and then - in the last seconds - someone mugs me.

Save for the stopwatch (couldn't find it), I have to say that I have 'kind of' sussed it out. Can't say that I like it though.

And >50 quid for a second-hand sky STB is toooo much IMHO.

[edit] should add that the pricing doubled in the last minute.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Fine advice Stick! :D

I decided to do some mugging/sniping and now have me a slightly overpriced Pace 430N. Must say, the adrenalin (and naughtiness of it all) made me shake, LOL.

Stayed out of the bidding and lunged in the last 6secs or so:

It was all a bit frantic: One browswer with the bid page [my bid at the ready], another browser with the highest bidder info - refreshing each almost by the second.

Poor old applesxxx must have thought he/she had it in the bag.

Now I just hope it arrives on my doorstep.:confused

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
LMBs (last minute bidders) I call 'em, and I'm one of them, I started off the same way, bidding 3 days before, coming back 3 days later and what was 99p turned into something like £150!!! So, instead of joining them, I beat them, I'm a last 10 second bidder... :D

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Well, sometimes it works and sometimes it don't...The good thing about ebay is that the supply is almost endless, if you got tthe patience, you will find what you want for the price you want. Example: I got my 1.2 M dish , new for under 50 EURO's!!! Took months, and I used the search function until I one day got the email and bosh!
As long as you don't bid over what you think it is worth you will be ok.

Anyway. well done Moo!

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
I am sure there are Ebay countries where the bidding isn't so cut-throat. Some of the high-scoring bidders/members are very savvy - been spying on 'em you see.:p

The first auction I lost the box went for 46.51 - which is an excellent price.

Interesting that nearly all of these ebay seconds have just come out of contract - they don't hang around, do they, LOL.

Odd footnote: I was looking for some postage info on my winnings and came across the same box for GBP 20.00 on a different website.

A mate is going round there this week to pick it up. Uuumm, maybe I should put that one on Ebay, LOL.:D Its all happened like the busses .....

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
BarMoo said:
Odd footnote: I was looking for some postage info on my winnings and came across the same box for GBP 20.00 on a different website.
Where was that?

I'll be looking for a 430N if I don't get one of those new ones from Sky (that you can't stand your pint glass on) when I take up their broadband offer! :-rofl2 :-bash

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
BGonaSTICK said:
Where was that?

I'll let you know, once its in my hands.

Don't understand the last part of your message? I wouldn't recommend the 430N if you like putting your pint on electrical devices - the top is full of vent holes (well they look like vent holes, lol; but, knowing Pace they could just be painted on):-rofl2 :-rofl2

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
T_G said:
.... if you got the patience, you will find what you want for the price you want.....

Fair point T_G. A day after my wanton flurry, I have just seen the same box go for GBP 32.00 (half my price).:-doh!

Cést La Vie :-rofl2 :-rofl2

Satellites aside, you guys are spot-on with Ebay advice, really!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You can actually buy auction sniper software, but you have to be an habitual ebayer to go to that length. :)

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
I think I will give that a miss rolf :)

Already having panics about getting the Paypal thing to 'work' now I have the goods (theoretically), LOL. Next panic - will it arrive:eek:

I feel so lacking with this stuff. Its a minefield.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I just had a look at it again, haven't looked on the site for a long time, they give you the first snipe free, might just give it a go next time I'm looking for something. :)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
BarMoo said:
The first auction I lost the box went for 46.51 - which is an excellent price.

:-rofl2 :-rofl2 :-rofl2

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
BGonaSTICK said:
Where was that?

I'll be looking for a 430N if I don't get one of those new ones from Sky (that you can't stand your pint glass on) when I take up their broadband offer! :-rofl2 :-bash

The site was Gumtree.com.

The box arrived Tuesday this week. Must have weighed in at 4+ kilos (i.e. everything included) - this is the 20quid STB, BTW - and I only chequed them 25quid for posting, hehe. Package box was slightly deeper than my other one - suggesting, an older version STB? Whatever. Its mine. :-rofl2

This unit was 20quid because, apparently, the menus were 'old'. When it arrived I turned it on and everything worked a treat. No problems as foretold :-rofl2 :-rofl2 :-rofl2

The only thing I am not that happy about, is that it looks like its had four tours of Iraq - how a digibox can look so wrecked from a 'design' office is anyones guess.

Included: two remotes and a legit destruction manual, WTF? Makes up for the 60quid I poked out for the other Pace, LOL. Larfing.;)

:D