Pace MSS1000 rolling menu

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I recently bought a MSS1000 receiver for a quid but it seems to have an issue with it.

The first one is that the Videocrypt decoder does not seem to work at all. There are no card messages, no decryption - nothing.

The second issue is that unless the menu is on a blue background, it seems to roll even if there's a picture behind it. I don't have this issue on either of my other Pace receivers, so it must be something up with the picture section.

I checked the usual - bulging capacitors etc. but they seem fine. The other odd issue is that the receiver doesn't seem to recognise that there's no signal (when there's actually no signal) and never brings up a blue background. On menus I have to to press TV/SAT button to force it.

Anyone remember similar issues?

The closest answer I saw is here: Pace mss500 mss1000 satellite receiver FAQ - point 13. I don't know how similar MSS1000 was to 500, though.

Edit: reading further, point 31 explains my issues exactly... so need to replace the components that are mentioned.

Last edited:

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
CJ I think Ive still got an old Pace MSS100 (the block of cheese shaped one) lying around somewhere which you are welcome to if I can find it. It was working fine last time I turned it off.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
It works when turned off?

Unique ;)

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Thanks for the offer Ross, but already have one of those working. Just wanted to get the MSS1000 working as the bathroom scales receiver is dog ugly.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Thanks for the offer Ross, but already have one of those working. Just wanted to get the MSS1000 working as the bathroom scales receiver is dog ugly.

The 1000 isn't exactly an oil painting.

upload_2017-8-20_16-33-38.jpeg

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
A brilliant receiver in its time.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Yep, repaired many.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Replaced all the recommended components but still have a menu roll and VC decoder not kicking it. Could be pretty much any component in the sync separation circuit and I don't have a 'scope to troubleshoot.

Not worth the hassle for what it would have been used for.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
It's why I held onto my MSS300, I can't recall what I did with my MSS500 (nor can I recall what was different between the 500 and 1000!), but even today my MSS300 still powers up, woefully displaying Cuatro on the VFD which was the last analogue channel I got on it via Hispasat, through my window, on my BSB minidish, sat on the floor in the middle of my living room... :-lol

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Replaced all the recommended components but still have a menu roll and VC decoder not kicking it. Could be pretty much any component in the sync separation circuit and I don't have a 'scope to troubleshoot.

Not worth the hassle for what it would have been used for.

Something in the back of my mind says there was an option within the installation menu to bypass the decoder and - possibly - change the baseband output to something else for external box connection.

But don't quote me on that.

Have you tried all SCART output connections ?

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
The external decoder works - but I wanted to use the internal one and I believe it's not kicking in for the same reason that the menus are rolling around.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Ah, that is different.

If it's a Pace derived decoder section in the box, best give up now.