Passion+

lukepml

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortecstar passion+
My Location
Essex
Heeeeelp,
I'm really struggling to install a Passion+ kit (purchased a couple of weeks ago). I seem to be unable to pickup freesat channels. As far as I can tell I'm on Astra 2A, channel list shows Five, Fiver, FiverUS etc all scrambled (I'm able to receive movies4men) and I'm also pickingup channels on Hotbird.
I've used a satellite finder to locate the satellite, direction is similar to that of my neighbors and I've also used dishpointer for alignment.
I've tried starting from the east rotating the dish south, but I always end up roughly in the same position, which according to the line on dishpointer seems to be about right!!
Am I missing something, receiver setup? I would appreciate your help.
Luke.

G

Well you can't pick up Channels from Astra 2 and Hotbird at the same time - You can only pick up Channels from the Satellite cluster you are aligned to.

Say you are aligned to Astra 2 but scan the Hotbird list: Because similar frequencies etc are re-used across the arc (which is possible because you can only get signals from one Satellite at a time), then you may well get some apparent results - but generally what you get is a decent Strength and Quality but no Video/Audio.

So, forget anything pre-stored apart from Astra 2.

Now scan that list (only) and see if you get any Channels with Video/Audio and post a list of a sample of them. If you feel like it, carry out an Auto Search (or whatever similar name Fortec Star use: Should be fairly obvious when you look at the menus)

Then we can tell you which Satellite the Dish is really aligned to and give you instructions for putting it right.

Those lists are just simple tables of data and your Box does not actually know where you have pointed your Dish!

Generally when people say their dish is pointing the same way as their neighbours, it actually isn't! I bet you are actually aligned to Astra 1 at 19.2E ('cos that's the commonest error).

lukepml

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortecstar passion+
My Location
Essex
I couldn't find any channels with video/audio referenced, although I'm not quite sure what I should be seeing.
The channel list gives a total of 26 tv channels, starting with channel 5, 01 to 04 inclusive, 05 is FiveUS, 06 is FiveUS+1, 07 is Fiver, 08 is Fiver+1 all of these are listed as scrambled, 09 is Movies4men, 10 is Movies4men2 these I can watch, 11 is Sahara one, which is scrambled.
The identification box for channel 5 lists the following:
Astra2E 28.2 E, 10964H22000. V.PID(2305) A.PID(2306) P.PID(2306) NDS(BSKY:cool:
The identification box for Movies4Men lists the following:
Astra2 28.2E, 11222H27500. V.PID(2332) A.PID(2333) P.PID(2312) FTA(BSKY:cool:.
As you can probably tell I'm an absolute novice, but I hope the above info will help to identify where I'm going wrong and what I need to do to put it right.
Many thanks Luke.

Hedgidj

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, Fortec Star Passion+, Manhatten ST550, Lemon 020, various Sky FTV boxes.
My Location
Lancashire, England
The first time I switched mine on all channels said 'No Audio or Video' so I turned off the mains power then on again and it's been fine since.

It did benefit from re-install of the loader though, it kept crashing on the loader that came with it when scanning.

G

You say you can actually watch Movies4Men, which means you must have found the right Satellite cluster!

Although your alignment may need a tweak to optimise, the issue now is probably an incomplete and incorrect pre-stored Transponder List.

You can either Edit/Add Transponders according to the list at _http://www.flysat.com/28east.php or, if that Box has a feature called Blind Search/Scan or Auto Search/Scan (or something similar), just select that.

One other thing to check is that you have selected Universal LNB as opposed to anything else: Again, without being familiar with that particular Box, the correct option will be labelled "Universal 1", "Universal 9750/10600" or similar.

lukepml

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortecstar passion+
My Location
Essex
Hi Rai Uno,
I had a look at flysat, now I don't know whether this means I'm on Eurobird-1 as the movies4men v.pid (2332) a.pid (2333) and Al Jazeera childrens channel v.pid(2328) a.pid (2329) (I can watch both of these) are displayed in the channel info box (on my TV) and match those of Eurobird-1 (it also looks like all the channels within the group match Eorobird v.pid/a.pid). I haven't a clue as to what v.pid or a.pid means but I hope it helps!!
Many thanks, Luke

G

lukepml said:
Hi Rai Uno,
I had a look at flysat, now I don't know whether this means I'm on Eurobird-1 as the movies4men v.pid (2332) a.pid (2333) and Al Jazeera childrens channel v.pid(2328) a.pid (2329) (I can watch both of these) are displayed in the channel info box (on my TV) and match those of Eurobird-1 (it also looks like all the channels within the group match Eorobird v.pid/a.pid). I haven't a clue as to what v.pid or a.pid means but I hope it helps!!
Many thanks, Luke

Eurobird 1 at 28.5E and the four Astra 2 birds (2A,B,C,D) can be considered to be co-located for all practical purposes.

Annoyingly, some Boxes have pre-stored lists which show Eurobird separately!

But they are only simple Data, so you can Edit and Rename them at will.

So, either ignore the Eurobird list and update/scan the Astra 2 list, or ignore the Astra 2 list and update/scan the Eurobird one - it really doesn't matter, just so long as all the TPs on that list, irrespective of which actual bird they are on, are included.

As I said before, it may be simpler to perform an Auto or Blind scan, as this will just find anything that there is an will update your lists quickly and painlessly.

The choice is yours.

Go to go out for "drinkies" now, but I'm sure there are others lurking who will help out.

G

One more thing (He says, adjusting his Cravat), don't be daunted by PIDS.

You will not have to enter PIDS (or FEC for that matter) except for ITV HD.

All the rest will be found automatically.

Hic.

tjl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3
Panasonic LCD
My Location
Worcester.. England
lukepml said:
Heeeeelp,
I'm really struggling to install a Passion+ kit (purchased a couple of weeks ago). I seem to be unable to pickup freesat channels. As far as I can tell I'm on Astra 2A, channel list shows Five, Fiver, FiverUS etc all scrambled (I'm able to receive movies4men) and I'm also pickingup channels on Hotbird.
I've used a satellite finder to locate the satellite, direction is similar to that of my neighbors and I've also used dishpointer for alignment.
I've tried starting from the east rotating the dish south, but I always end up roughly in the same position, which according to the line on dishpointer seems to be about right!!
Am I missing something, receiver setup? I would appreciate your help.
Luke.

;) have a read of these posts re LNB Skew it might be a solution

http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...28721-skew-problem-fortecstar-lnb-fckuvn.html

lukepml

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortecstar passion+
My Location
Essex
I think I need a drink or two as well, I thought this would be easy, wrong!!!!!
I must be missing something or not understanding, I've gone back to factory settings, before doing a scan I've gone through the preloaded FTA list eg bbc, ITV, all show no signal.
When I do an automatic scan of Astra 2A, assuming that's where I'm at, I end up with the channel set up as described in previous threads, I believe all transponders as on flysat eg 10758V22000 are listed/populated.
(I did find on Al Jazeera English No video/Audio).
The receiver is as purchased i.e. no updates have been made, at start up message reads loader V15.
many thanks, Luke.

tjl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3
Panasonic LCD
My Location
Worcester.. England
lukepml said:
I think I need a drink or two as well, I thought this would be easy, wrong!!!!!
I must be missing something or not understanding, I've gone back to factory settings, before doing a scan I've gone through the preloaded FTA list eg bbc, ITV, all show no signal.
When I do an automatic scan of Astra 2A, assuming that's where I'm at, I end up with the channel set up as described in previous threads, I believe all transponders as on flysat eg 10758V22000 are listed/populated.
(I did find on Al Jazeera English No video/Audio).
The receiver is as purchased i.e. no updates have been made, at start up message reads loader V15.
many thanks, Luke.
:confused I too put my own dish up and after trawling through this site I found all the answers that caused me problems,I can only assume your problem as to do with dish alignment,I had problems with the LNB which is why I put you on to that link,there are more knowledgable people on this site and may put you right,but if you are getting 1 or 2 channels and no sound then it as to be an alignment problem I think,remember its little movement of the dish I was moving mine in 1000th of an inch at a time to get it right it took me a few hours to get the best possible signal....:-dangerTony

lukepml

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortecstar passion+
My Location
Essex
Thanks, I'll try adjusting the skew, although the one referenced is FCKUVN, mine is FSKUVN hd ready (I do receive sound on the programmes I can watch ie, movies4men).
Going fishing in a minute, I've been up & down the ladder like a yo-yo, but I would hate to admit defeat and have to obtain the services of a professional.
Thanks for the help, wil keep trying, but later, Luke

G

That Thread should refer to FSUKVN!

An early error, never corrected.

It may well be the answer to your problem, as it really shouldn't have caused you the grief it has so far - I was under the impression they no longer supplied that particular LNB, but it seems my faith was misplaced!

Good luck and keep us informed!

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
rai uno said:
That Thread should refer to FSUKVN!

An early error, never corrected.

On purpose - FCKUVN was a play on letters to make it sound vaguely offensive because of the problems with that LNB ( as in the company F C U K) :-rofl2

(Incidentally, it's surprising FCKUVN doesn't get the 'star' treatment - try putting F C U K in a post without spacing...)

Llew

G

I did wonder about that - as a certain Admin Posted in similar vein on another Board! :-rofl2

Let's hope it is the answer to our friend's problems, though.

lukepml

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortecstar passion+
My Location
Essex
Passion+ problem solved, skew set to +20, now receiving FTA BBC channels etc. Many thanks to everyone for the help, I'd been trying to resolve the problem for over a week.
Fishing earlier even managed to find a fish, must be my lucky day, I think I'll have a go on the lottery!!!!???
Once again, thank you all, Luke

tjl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3
Panasonic LCD
My Location
Worcester.. England
lukepml said:
Passion+ problem solved, skew set to +20, now receiving FTA BBC channels etc. Many thanks to everyone for the help, I'd been trying to resolve the problem for over a week.
Fishing earlier even managed to find a fish, must be my lucky day, I think I'll have a go on the lottery!!!!???
Once again, thank you all, Luke

:) Glad to hear you got it working....:-dangerTony