Philex 28202HS Satellite Finder

Aypok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Thompson Sky Digital box and some minidish.
My Location
Merry Olde England
First off: I apologise if this is the wrong sub-forum, but, after looking around this forum for a while, it seems like the place I need. If not, could someone please guide me to the correct location?

Many years ago, Sky came around and installed a standard mini-dish and receiver and it all worked fine. Recently, we've had an extension put on the house and the dish had to be moved.

After reading various sites and forums around the 'net, repositioning the dish seemed like something I could myself. I bought a "Philex 28202HS"/"SLx" -- a satellite finder with compass -- from Amazon.co.uk (_http://www.amazon.co.uk/SLx-28202HS-Satellite-Finder/dp/B0019C63Z4). However, I've not been having any luck with it.

The problem isn't that I can't get a signal; the problem is that it doesn't seem to turn on. I've followed the instructions: Hook it up between the receiver and the LNB, then turn on the receiver. At which point, I assume the green "power" LED should illuminate - but it doesn't.

The receiver is definitely powered on (not on stand-by, either) and I've disconnected and then reconnected the cables at all ends (making sure the connections are tight), but nothing seems to work.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Is the satellite finder itself broken, or is it more likely to be a human fault (mine!)?

Thanks for reading. If you need any more details, please let me know.

guest poster

registered
Reaction score
Welcome to Satellites.co.uk

did you turn the receiver off while you connected/ disconnected the cables?

is the green light ....power or marked H/V or 22kHz

Aypok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Merry Olde England
pedro2000uk said:
did you turn the receiver off while you connected/ disconnected the cables?

Yes, the receiver was off at the mains until the satellite finder was hooked up.

pedro2000uk said:
is the green light ....power or marked H/V or 22kHz

It simply says "Power" above the LED.

guest poster

registered
Reaction score
sounds like you could have a dud...

check all leads ...inside the f connectors for tiny stray single copper wires crossing to the middle wire...

also avoid the cheap leads they often include with those types of meters...

can you test it on another box before returning it

and test your box on another $ky dish ..

Aypok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Merry Olde England
I'm happy to report that the problem has now been solved! The problem was, as I has half-expected, my own fault: when moving the cable (the old cable from the dish to the receiver), I had apparently broken it.

I managed to fix the cable and the satellite finder came to life the next time I tried it - I was then able to get a good signal.

Many thanks for the replies - sorry that my posts were ultimately a waste of time...