Pictures of Members' Systems

Tom Mountford said:
Here's some larger shots of the monitoring area, this isn't its full time purpose... I'm a video editor during working hours, hence the various bits of broadcast kit. It just seemed wrong to have a flat roof, a whole load of sky and a racks room without a bloody big dish to complete the picture!

T.


Big :-respekt, that is a serious Geek Pit you got there! I don't know what all this equipment is you got there, but it looks like something good to have :P
 
Tom Mountford said:
I'm a video editor during working hours

Serious kit - what do you edit on 'Avid' or the like?

Amazing how the technology has evolved in the video edit field - has moved from high end to home PC. Same thing happened with desk top publishing - the equipment became cheap and home PC compatible.

With DTP everyone thought they could design - just because they had the tools (I don't think so!).
Same thing will happen with desktop video - until people realise, it's talent, not equipment that creates great work.

IMHO
 
Hi Gameboy... nice to see you've got a G5! We abandoned using Avid a while ago - I use Final Cut Pro HD Studio on a dual 2.7GHz G5.
 
Nice neat installation stevienire, looks good, will add it to the attachments after chris has uploaded the attachment files tonight. :)
 
Well done simonuk, I hope that you get some positive results with that set up after all your past troubles.
 
Very professional and clean setup you have Tom!
 
On my new house, 3 feeds from 28 east, 1 each from 28/19/13 east into switch and down into the house.

Professional installation and apparently extremely strong reception ;)

:-beer as I move in tomorrow, finally....! :D
 
Oh, and in my cellar there is a modulator inserting two feeds into the cable TV network. Sadly only two-channel sound but to all TV sockets in the house :)

Picture of that puppy to come.... :)
 
How about this for a sh*t-hot assembly! Sadly it’s not a member’s setup, and I only wish I could claim it as mine – it does in fact belong to Anglia TV (or to be more precise Granada Media). The Anglia TV dish is a bit of a landmark in Norwich as it looks out over two sets of busy traffic lights. I think it’s a 3.5m prime-focus, but it’s filthy and I’ve certainly never seen it pointing in any other direction – if you look closely at the enclosures mounted to its tripod they’re quite badly eaten away by rust. I’m not exactly sure how long it’s been up the pedestal in the car park but I guess it must be 20+ years. A colleague of mine is related to someone at Anglia and rumour has it this is no longer in broadcast operation but simply feeds a portable TV in someone’s office… I shall dig further.
 
I could take a couple of shots here in Setubal to show the abandoned 1.5m & 2m dishes from the pre-digital era!
 
Thought I show a piccy of my 'main' PC! (TM 1500 & DVD recorder on desktop), pretty humdrum, but I hope you'll be impressed by the shelf dedicated to extensions and plugs..... 22 plugs (+ 3 more on l/h side), 25 in total :eek: .
Scares the missus to death O-Ha ....
Second PC in same bedroom less impressive, just a spare really :cool: .... another 2 PC's for the kids, 1 in my workshop and a laptop downstairs (No serial port, hence Apollo OTA), all networked.
Phoenix Apollo,sky+ & DVD recorder downstairs.... and god forbid a 'Normal' 28" TV (not even widescreen!), My choice :rolleyes:
 
That has to be the most compact set-up I've seen - you certainly have everything you need to hand.

Great.
 
gameboy said:
That has to be the most compact set-up I've seen - you certainly have everything you need to hand.

Great.

Cheers Gameboy son, No consoles though ;).... modded 1000's of psx, ps1, ps2, xbox's, but don't actually own one myself (can't get into them!, only ever played 2 games to the end, MDK & Quake II on PC!!!).
Compact being the ness', not the choice.... could do with a spare bedroom..... Eldest off to uni' this year, I've got plans for a new super computer/satellite room :D .
 
Here's mine,i'll get some without the ladder.I've got to wire in the Sky dish in yet but check out that blue sky.Who says its grim ooop north ;)
 
Nice set up Oily, with good clear view of the arc by the looks of it .

One thing though, and this is my own opinion, I would never put the top bracket that high up on a gable end wall. I've seen half a gable end pulled out in high winds with a 80cm dish mounted that high.

JuMbuCk:)
 
Ooops,well,its about time i claimed on my insurance;)

Thanks for the comments.Goes to the motor limit east,I can get to about 45w,it's then about an inch or two from the tiles
 
Sorry about that remark Oily, but the ex father in law had a cowboy put a 80cm dish up high on the middle of a gable end. He lived in Torquay, Devon half way up a hill. During one of their gales in the 90's lost over 9 rows of bricks. The more rows of bricks above the brackets the stronger the anchor. Hope that you do not have a problem. Not much worth looking at past 45* west anyhow.
 
JuMbuCk said:
Sorry about that remark Oily, but the ex father in law had a cowboy put a 80cm dish up high on the middle of a gable end. He lived in Torquay, Devon half way up a hill. During on of their gales in the 90's lost over 9 rows of bricks. The more rows of bricks above the brackets the stronger the anchor. Hope that you do not have a problem. Not much worth looking at past 45* west anyhow.


Not a problem.. only rains in manchester anyhow..

LOL

Nice setup mate :)
 
JuMbuCk said:
Sorry about that remark Oily, but the ex father in law had a cowboy put a 80cm dish up high on the middle of a gable end. He lived in Torquay, Devon half way up a hill. During on of their gales in the 90's lost over 9 rows of bricks. The more rows of bricks above the brackets the stronger the anchor. Hope that you do not have a problem. Not much worth looking at past 45* west anyhow.

No problem Jumbuck,nice to hear other peoples experiences and what we can learn from them.If i have to move it for any reason i will lower the top bracket.
 
Back
Top