Pictures of Members' Systems

Excellent VS. Plenty to keep you occupied in your shack there :)

Llew
 
Thanks Llew..
I even gave pride of place to my old ..but recently refurbished CR100 ex Navy communications receiver ..
Its fully functional ...but I dread the day I can't replace one of its old octal base valves ..
That would indeed be a sad day for me ..as I've had it since I was 14 years old ..
Back then I got prosecuted by the GPO for transmitting without a license..
happy days ;)
 
Ah you got an old ALCOA petal 1.8m dish, they were great back then.

You have the extension petals to 2.4m for it?
 
Thanks _very_ much for identifying this dish for me Telia

I had no idea who made it and in fact asked about it some while back in this thread :-

http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...55314-some-big-dish-questions.html#post853077

close up pictures in post 7

I had no idea there even were extension petals ?
I bought mine second hand some 20 years back ..
Perhaps you could tell me a bit more about it .
much appreciated
VS
;)
 
...lol
went searching armed with the manufacturers name and found this :-

_http://www.kqlz.org/johns/

Oh boy ...do I want those extension petals ...

:-worship

..only problem is ...I could only fit about 70% of them ...
I have a neighbours wall on the east side of the dish

rgds
VS
 
Vipersan said:
Thanks Llew..
I even gave pride of place to my old ..but recently refurbished CR100 ex Navy communications receiver ..
Its fully functional ...but I dread the day I can't replace one of its old octal base valves ..
That would indeed be a sad day for me ..as I've had it since I was 14 years old ..
Back then I got prosecuted by the GPO for transmitting without a license..
happy days ;)

LOL, did a stint with the GPO detection unit myself way back in the '60's. Mostly concerned with radio and TV interference though, but we did find one or two naughty ones occasionally.

Had an old R208 VHF WW2 receiver as a youngster, had great fun locating the first orbiting satellite (Sputnik) :)

Still have my Eddystone 840C in the workshop, getting a bit deaf now though on the HFs.

Llew
 
Grrr !!!
So it was one of your lot was it Llew ..
lol

I'll never forget the evening the chap from the GPO accompanied by a police officer ..acting under the direct authority of the home secratary entered my bedroom whilst I was still on air...
My face turned white I'm told and my legs went all wobbly ..
My dad entered just behind them ...and with a loud voice said ..
'son this is your first brush with Britsh democracy and the establishment ...let it be a lesson to you'
I had to go to court ..and got a £30 fine ...which was a huge sum of money back then..
My old dad made me pay the lot ...it took forever ..
I did get half a page in the local rag though ..
And the 'beak' must have taken pity on me ...as they returned all my equipment ...including the home brew transmitter ...which I later was made to destroy..
My old Marconi CR100 is all thats left ...and as I said has been fully restored ..
They will have to bury me with it ..as its very dear to me..

btw ..I'm guessing you must have a few years on me then ?
I was born in 57
rgds
VS

forgot to add ..
I also had an R209
A so called portable Short wave jobby ...ex army ...ran off 12volts ..
I'm assuming it was your R208's twin
rgds
 
War baby VS, smack bang in the middle of WW2 :eek:

Wouldn't mind trying the C-band stuff, but neighbour's tree (the monstrosity in the pic) precludes setting up another dish in the middle of the garden.

I have other dishes further towards the house, but only good for 28E -1W.

My motorised dish up the garden looks as if the tree might be blocking some sats, but I have a clear view 57E -58W.

Llew
 

Attachments

  • Tree.webp
    Tree.webp
    45.7 KB · Views: 145
..You have my sympathies Llew ...that is one ugly looking tree ..
and you don't deserve such a grotesque obstacle preventing your exploration of C Band ..
VS
 
And here's one hiding in the bushes...
 

Attachments

  • dish2s.webp
    dish2s.webp
    14.9 KB · Views: 104
  • dish2.webp
    dish2.webp
    150.2 KB · Views: 89
I purchased this 5ft dish in 2006 in addition to a 12ft mesh c-band which I retired from service after 15 yrs , Well I have to say this one grew up and improved it's view of the world ( sorry space)
 

Attachments

  • DSC02504.webp
    DSC02504.webp
    359.7 KB · Views: 243
..A relative newbie to C band myself ...I have to say I too am suitably impressed QB ..
a verrry nice setup.
rgds
VS
 
If you want more pics of my dish setup you can view it here
_http://www.flickr.com/photos/43610492@N04/sets/72157622544429713/





[fieldset=Admin]please upload photos to our server[/fieldset]
 

Attachments

  • 4047716600_e18db681d0.webp
    4047716600_e18db681d0.webp
    40.5 KB · Views: 106
Hi QB ..
judging by your pictures ...I would assume you are practically Equatorial ..
No chance of water getting into the LNBS ...so covers not needed ..
..but I assume when it monsoons ....your dish turns into a giant bird bath..
;)
rgds
 
I am at 10.03 degrees North and 76.5 degrees east, Thats why I choose to put Insat 2e/4a at 83E in the prime focus , If I choose 78.5E at prime My dish will be looking straight to sky, Well As for bird bath :-rofl2 , you can see That dish is not single piece Not much water prob either to it or lnb, I think I choose the right place to live :toke:
 
quickboy said:
If you want more pics of my dish setup you can view it here
_http://www.flickr.com/photos/43610492@N04/sets/72157622544429713/





[fieldset=Admin]please upload photos to our server[/fieldset]
Ok admin, as soon as I get sometime My internet is only 256Kbps , Can I transfer them from FLickr directly , Also I'am new to this forum, Just reading what can I upload etc. Will do it.
 
Yes you can, simply drop the link into the appropriate place in the manage attachments screen. I've added one for you above.
 

Attachments

  • upload-from_url.webp
    upload-from_url.webp
    53.2 KB · Views: 95
trying to upload files from Flickr
 
managed to upload two more thanks
 

Attachments

  • DSC02505.webp
    DSC02505.webp
    377.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 4049642481_d75c2d2316_m.webp
    4049642481_d75c2d2316_m.webp
    10 KB · Views: 110
Back
Top