Planet Rock

S

Steve Steve

Any Planet Rock listeners. on here...?.......I've noticed lately the sound is a bit dodgy.....
Playing ...PR.. via freesat ,connected with optical cable to my HI Fi...it sounds Mono.....?......in the past the sound was almost CD Quality !.....

Could it be because PR is now been moved to 2F...?.....

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Mod. Note: Moved from a Topic about Satellite Radio on Intelsat 10-02 ;)

excollier

Bikes, Booze, Rock & Blues
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TD 64 and Humax Foxsat HDR with Raydon's custom firmware
My Location
County Donegal - furthest outpost of the EUSSR
I was listening yesterday afternoon via Freesat through my hi-fi/stereo whatever it's called these days. Anyway, using the analogue stereo outputs to the amp it sounded pretty impressive to me - sharp and definitely stereo. I use a Foxsat HDR fo Freesat.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Im normallyt a PR listener at work via the web stream. Gone off them a bit recently coz the adverts got annoying!

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
I used to listen to it when Nick Abbot was on it many years ago but haven't listened to it recently.

S

Steve Steve

Nick Abbot was great on PR.....He now does a Funny phone in show on LBC 97,3....On Friday & Saturday nights.........

Cheers for the suggestion's.....I'll try the analogue stereo..outputs.... On the Humax Freesat..........

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I was also PR listener back when Rick Wakeman was broadcasting on Saturday mornings. I just about stopped listening after his contract wasn't renewed although, to be fair, his later prerecorded programmes weren't a patch on his early live ones. I was almost tempted to go back when Al Murray joined but he's on at the same time as The Archers so no contest.

With regards to the mono sound I wonder if they have degraded their DAB broadcast to mono (like Absolute Radio and others have done) and accidentally plumbed this feed in.

MarkW

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 Galaxy,IBU single,Technomate 5402M3
My Location
Jesi,Italy
What is the World of Rock coming to when it has to compete with the Archers!:)
...used to listen PR until last year,gave up with the d.j's,bit Alan Partridge-ish

S

Steve Steve

Arrrrrr Harrrrrr...!....:-biglaugh ......not sure "Alice cooper's show " ...is quite "Alan partridge ".....but I miss Nicky horn's evening show......BTW...can't stand (al murray).... On PR.......

Tho it seems?..(after a bit of research of uk dab Radio).... as Paul ..suggested....Planet Rock is now in MONO..!!!..on DAB radio in the UK......MONO.!!.....what's going on..?....

Last edited by a moderator:

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Tho it seems?..(after a bit of research of uk dab Radio).... as Paul ..suggested....Planet Rock is now in MONO..!!!..on DAB radio in the UK......MONO.!!.....what's going on..?....

Cut backs / winding it down... ??

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
It's the relentless pursuit of money. Quantity before quality.

BTW the quality has also been reduced in many more cases by reducing the bitrate.

MarkW

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Jesi,Italy
Sadly gone now but Tommy Vance was the best dj.Remember listening to him when I was 17 when he was on the late spot on Radio 1 in the 70's.Guess he would've been on PR but I never heard him.What was his title tune,something by ELP?Can remember it now...
Yeah,think they've always been on the rocks(no pun intended),a couple of years ago they were going to shut down but at the last minute they were saved.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
I think Tommy Vances title tune was "Fanfare For The Common Man"....I didn't realise he'd passed away in 2005

MarkW

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Jesi,Italy
Looks like we're both wrong,it was Theme One by Van Der Graaf Generator:
I thought it was more recent that he passed away

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Whoa, so much to comment on!

I don't think Tommy Vamce was ever on Planet Rock. He was unwell for the later years of his life (MS I think) and this limited his work. I do remember that he had a programme on a very small Spanish radio station for English Expats for a while. Seemed a bit of a come-down but maybe it suited his purposes at the time.

Van der Graaf Generator. I remember seeing them in Bangor in the early 70s. And that's it - I can remember going and nothing more!

There is an area specifically set up for DAB here http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/dab-digital-radio.447/ and there is some grumbling about the quality of DAB in this thread (amongst others) http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/threads/radio-rebels-fight-against-digital.160216/

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Tommy Vance was on Virgin 1215 in the early years when it was good.

S

Steve Steve

Wasnt ..tommy vance on Hells kitchen ..with Gorden Ramsey ?.......my personal favorite rock DJ was ,Alan "Fluff" Freeman....he also did a Rock show on Radio 1...."not half...All right".."kisses on the bottom"..etc....:-)....,

Anyway....Pink Floyd's ...very Stereo ..."money"....was played this afternoon .....defenetly Mono.....prob the sat feed. (As Suggested) ..,,, now from Mono DAB feed ..:-(((( .......

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Right. A couple of corrections abut Tommy Vance. Let's start with me...

He hadn't been suffering with MS. I realised on the drive home that Stuart Henry was who I was thinking of. I'm sure Tommy did have a programme in Spain though.

The Theme One cover by Van der Graaf Generator wasn't used his theme tune, it was used for the "Take it off the Top" quiz section in the Friday Rock Show. The show itself used the Dixie Dregs instrumental "Take it Off the Top". Whether he used it on other shows I don't know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_Rock_Show

He was in Hells Kitchen but walked out very soon.

william-1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
OP Gibertini 100 XP+ Inverto Black Ultra Lnb
Superior Dark Motor (160° max)
(50 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+Optima (A/B switch) Edision primo IP S2

Raven 88cm Mesh Dish + IBU Twin output
Stab100 H to H (120° max)
(53 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+ Ultra HD (A/B switch) Golden Interstar Alpha_X
My Location
Epping Forest Essex
Planet Rock now only in Mono 80 kbps MP2 Dab quality is getting worse only listen occasionally now I prefer to listen to internet radio via Roberts Stream 83i through stereo system,

Internet Radio is much better:-
Atlantis.fm,Classic Rock Radio,The Arrow ect ect all 128 kbps Stereo MP3 or better some in 192 to 320 kbps Stereo,

Dab could be better but they prefer to cram as many stations as possible at lower bit rates that provide audio quality not much better than Medium Wave :(