gazleyp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.om motorised orbital Dish
Humax Foxsat-HDR
Cryptic H-H Mount
My Location
Manchester England
Hi guys and girls about 2 months ago i bought a motorized 1m dish a universal lnb and a humax foxsat hd pvr, this has usals, i live in glossop derbyshire (manchester area uk) and input the relevent settings for my foresaid location, set my dish angle to 22.5 degrees and my motor to 53.5 degrees when i try to find sattelites i get nothing only 80 -100 % signal strength never do i get signal quality. i have a fixed dish and when i connect reciever upto that i get free sat with 100 % quality and strength, could some one tell me what i am doing wrong, i know that 1w is my due south sat and have never been able to pick up this satellite or any other, when i conect my meter to the set up to try help me locate a sattlite it screams like mad and when i move the dish the meter reading rises and falls so can anyone here please help this is driving me nuts.thanks

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Sounds as if you just haven't quite followed through on the initial mechanical alignment of the Motorised Dish.

The Dish Elevation and Motor Latitude are just the starting point - However hard you try, there are always errors eg Pole half a degree out, the impossibility of setting dish and motor angle within around half a degree, clamps not being square on etc etc, so you need to take a step back, breathe hard, and have another go!.

Check Pole is vertical

Check you set the Motor Latitude of 53 or so on the correct scale (There are two on the Motor body ..... one marked Latitude and one marked Elevation

Check the Dish is mounted correctly "fore and aft" on the Motor Stub

Check you've assembled the Dish correctly - Some brackets can be reversed, giving access to a different range of movement in Elevation. A good test is to check that when it's set to 23 degrees or so, the face of the Dish appears more or less vertical

Check the LNB is at zero Skew

Check the meter connections - the supplied cable is somewhat flimsy.

Confirm to us that you are attempting final alignment by moving the Dish/Motor assembly around the Pole as one.

If possible, Post up some pics so we can eliminate "howlers"!

Edit: I use the Foxsat on a Motorised Dish - you will find that the pre-stored Transponder lists are totally naff. Do ensure that when you align to Thor, you are using 11325 H 24500 7/8 (which carries BBC World). If that TP is not in the list, you must add it as a User TP. It isn't the easiest of Receivers to use during alignment, but is pretty good otherwise.

gazleyp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat-HDR
Cryptic H-H Mount
My Location
Manchester England
hey tivu thanks for your reply, i have checked and double checked the pole is vertical(used different levels to make sure) and the seting is on the longitude side of the motor,the motor is a cryptik h-h mount, i am not to sure what you mean by fore and aft on the motor stub

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
gazleyp said:
hey tivu thanks for your reply, i have checked and double checked the pole is vertical(used different levels to make sure) and the seting is on the longitude side of the motor,the motor is a cryptik h-h mount, i am not to sure what you mean by fore and aft on the motor stub

With the Motor at zero, the Dish should be clamped onto the Motor stub along the dead centre line of the Motor Stub.

Generally, there is a very faint datum mark, not much more than a scratch, down the front of the stub, to assist.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Just for our information, is your Cryptik the standard motor with "normal" cylindrical stub, or have you got the posh one with the allegedly infallible V-Bracket ?

gazleyp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat-HDR
Cryptic H-H Mount
My Location
Manchester England
Thanks to the people who have already tried to help Tivu especially, this is the 1st day i have had time to do this so as you requested here are a few pics of the dish set up, and the cryptik bracket is a V type.

Attachments

• PHONE PICS 1 162.jpg
    PHONE PICS 1 162.jpg
    445.4 KB · Views: 45
  • PHONE PICS 1 163.jpg
    PHONE PICS 1 163.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 41
  • PHONE PICS 1 164.jpg
    PHONE PICS 1 164.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 39

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Thraed merged to keep things in context :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
That was quick! I didn't expect a competition over it!

Anyway, I see you've now asked for third-party help with this, which is probably the right way to go.

The pics don't show anything obvious, but maybe something important is being hidden due to the perspective?

But I don't have much else to add to previous suggestions.

Hope you get the help you need - and soon! The guy you want to contact logged on only a day ago, so presumably will be able to pick up your request quite soon :)

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Sounds as simple as unable to find your reference satellite. You can't really get too unstuck using the cryptic motor with the V bracket. Use a compass to get a rough South bearing and after sending the dish to 1W, use the squawker to try to get a lock. You may stumble across 5E and 5W at first. Scan transponders to see and cross reference them with flysat/lyngsat.