Please please help - I need an Irish FTV card

F

F1Mike

Hi
I'm in Scotland, but I'm after the Irish channels.
The last time i asked, it was definately possible to have both my normal viewing card AND another card married to the box at the same time, requiring just a switch in viewing cards each time I wanted to watch an Irish channel, which would be stored in other channels.
Is this still possible with the Sky update?

If you can help me obtain a card then I would really appreciate it. For anyone who can send me a card, I am willing to pay £10 AND re-emburse any costs involved in your generosity.

Also, if anyone can point me in the direction of someone willing to do this, or have any useful info or tips, I would be very pleased indeed.

Thank you! :)

sayireand

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Madrid
As regards the marriage of two cards to the one box see this thread. There are lots of people in Ireland and another in Madrid awaiting the outcome of this scenario.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=77093

As regards the FTV card they don't exist. The Radio channels are FTA ie no card is required but the 4 TV channels are ONLY available with a minimum of a Family Pack sub. at 27 Euros a month. A new sub there would need to be connected to a phone line for a year. You could buy the box outright and organise a sub.

Talk to Tony at www.satellite.ie, he might be able to help.

F

F1Mike

I thought there were plans for an FTV card for Ireland, or did that never happen.....is it going to ever happen? :(

sayireand

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Madrid
Plans for an Irish FTV card???

I doubt it very much as RTE don't, I believe, pay for the carriage on Sky/Astra as say ITV do. I think it was simply to increase the option for Irish viewers 260,000 and rising and to compete with the cable companies who include ITV, Channel 4 and Five, channels not available at present on the Irish package. Neither are CBBC, CBeebies, BBC3/4 only BBC1 and 2. And before anyone gets on a bandwagon as they have on other forums regarding people in Britain paying for a licence, the arrival of BBC1 and 2 coincided with a sub price increase.

lifeboatdoc

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
What sayireland says is correct except the box does not need to be connected to the phone for a year. If you get an Irish installer such as Tony at www.satellites.ie or someone else to do it for you, you can then bring the box back to the UK as I did. According to boards.ie the phone thing has not ever proven necessary

You can either

1. swap boxes with someone in Ireland

2. take out a sub in Ireland equivalent to your UK one and cancel the UK one ( though you would lose BBC/ITV channels including News 24 BBC3/4 Channel4/5)

3. Take out an Irish Family pack sub at 27 euro a month to have in addition to your UK sub

As the cards soon to be issued may require telephone connection it might be as well to wait awhile to get a new Irish card to save an early trip back to Ireland to enable your new card

F

F1Mike

I've not yet sorted an address out, but I do have relatives over there, so everything should work out. This has been most helpful, thank you both for your help