poor audio quality

ijw_uk

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
northampton, uk
I'm new to this, so maybe I'm making a basic mistake, but ...

I've got a Fortec Star 9800v2. I tried pointing the dish to 28.2 to pick up Radio 1-4, Classic FM etc...
Connected the audio-out leads to some input terminals on my HiFi and it sounds very poor, nothing like what I get from my VHF Tuner. It's very dull, as if there's nothing above about 5KHz.

Am I doing something wrong or is it supposed to sound like this ?
The phono-lead is about 6m long and does have a connector to join two lengths of cable together (could that affect it ?).

Cheers, Ian.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Should be reasonable sound Ian, I've tried it from my Hyundai to my stereo and the sound is good, you're not putting them into the record deck input are you?

ijw_uk

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
northampton, uk
Rolf,
I tried putting the tuner output into the aux-input of the amp and the satellite output into the tuner input of the amp (i.e. swapped them over) and the tuner still sounded ok and the satellite still sounded terrible.
I've got a mate with a sky receiver with phono leads to his hi-fi and his sounds fine, so I think I might pop my receiver round and try it on his system.

Cheers, Ian.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Just a shot in the dark Ian, does sound strange though, perhaps just one of those compatibility quirks.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
One of our (non neutered) cats used to spay on the front of the floor speakers.

Damaged the main cone to an extent where the upper frequencies were almost non existent

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello Ian

I'm not an expert in the Audio field although I am an ardent 'listener'.

The results I am getting from $ky on Radio 3 are quite good, but perhaps not quite as good as a good VHF signal.

I suupose this is a bit like the on-going debate about Cds and Records, but you 'should' be getting a much better responce than you are reporting.

I was listening to one of the regular reviewers on Radio 3 a few months ago, and one would expevt these sort of people to have quite good kit, and he was quite positive about the quality of the received signal.

Seems you have some kind of problem - I guess you have treied swapping the leads!.

Regards

W. Hole