Precision Antenna dishes back in production - QP Reflectors

futumsch

Regular Member
My Satellite Setup
80cm dish, Pace MSS500 (analog) 19e
1m Channel Master fixed 26e, 1m dish, SG-100 motor, Inverto Black Ultra. Pace MSP 200, Humax F1 VACI
Jaeger 1224 mid restored. Fibo 1.2m.
My Location
Midlands, UK
Precision Antennas of Stratford were bought out by Andrew/ASC Signal a few years ago. They were manufacturers are large single piece spun aluminium dishes.

Good news, the dishes are being manufactured again by QP Reflectors Ltd in Leominster. (_ttp.qpreflectors.com)

They are manufacturing dishes from 0.3m up to a size of 3.7m in diameter for both C and ku Band.

The part numbers are identical to the ones used by Precision, so presumably they bought the Precision tooling from the auction last year.
 
That's great news .............. let's hope the market is big enough for them to stick at it!
 
The thought of owning a 3.7m dish is making me drool ...
...now if I can just persuade my neighbours to remove their house ....

:)

seriously tho' ..
good news as Gordon says ...if they can make them turn a profit.
 
I went to see their original offices back in 1991. Basically their manufacturing process was a large piece of aluminium spinning on a former, with two employees beating the surface with two broomsticks until it was the correct shape.

The main problem with spun aluminium is the transportation damage. Precision lost upwards of 15% of their stock through incorrect palleting and lifing off the lorries at the distributor end.

I hope the new factory is planning to use it's own lorry for delivery otherwise they could go the same way.
 
Interesting, CH.

It's bad enough reading about even modest dishes getting damaged "in transit" through mishandling by Couriers/Royal Snail/Parcel Farce, so the scope for effectively wrecking a biggie is considerable if transport were to be in third-party hands.
 
interesting if they are really being made again i will be interested in a 1.2m prime focus antenna if it will bolt to my jaeger 1224 motor
 
Yes wod no problem there. I wonder if they will make a polarmount for the bigger dish`s?
 
if you look at the downloadable catalogue on the website they do list a polar mount in the mountings list

there is standard polar mount 50w-60e for .9m to 2.4m

motorised elevation and azimuth mount for 1.5 to 3.7m.

I wonder if they will sell to the public or if its only military, commercial or satcoms as said on the website, a 1.2m one of these dishes will be lighter than cm 1.2m
 
Excellent news!! will be ringing them on monday for a price on a 2.4/3m
 
where is the d/l able cat wod? Cant find it???
 
terriers said:
Excellent news!! will be ringing them on monday for a price on a 2.4/3m

yes post here if they do sell to the public, as I'm after something a little smaller 1.2 for my requirement

CROSSBONES said:
where is the d/l able cat wod? Cant find it???

_http://www.qpreflectors.com/downloads/QPcatalogue.pdf
 
ah yes! too much red wine lol cheers mate ;)

I have asked for a price list
 
QP Relectors are a family business related to Q-Par Angus, an already thriving firm selling very specialised RF products. I should imagine like most family run businesses they would sell to Joe Public - well i hope for the sake of you guys they do. Spoke to the MD today, I think he's quite chuffed with having cult followers of the Precision Antenna dishes.

.. and just for info, there's a link on their homepage which links to the BBC iplayer Hereford and Worcester radio, there's about a 3 minute interview with the MD starting around 1:46.
 
As a follow up to your above post, I am lucky enough to own a Precision 2.2m dish, and wanted some technical info, so a bit of searching finds that Elite Antennas have purchased all the tooling and equipment to make up to 3.7m single piece spun dishes. The catalogue is available at

_http://www.elite-antennas.com/documents/Elite_Antennas_Catalogues.pdf

I rang up and the guys were really helpful, I'm now tracking down the exact feed horn requirements thanks to the info supplied :)
Regards
Stuart
 
Anyone got the pricelist at hand ? how much for a 2.4m and 3.0m antenna from these guy'z
 
stuboy said:
As a follow up to your above post, I am lucky enough to own a Precision 2.2m dish, and wanted some technical info, so a bit of searching finds that Elite Antennas have purchased all the tooling and equipment to make up to 3.7m single piece spun dishes. The catalogue is available at

_http://www.elite-antennas.com/documents/Elite_Antennas_Catalogues.pdf

I rang up and the guys were really helpful, I'm now tracking down the exact feed horn requirements thanks to the info supplied :)
Regards
Stuart

http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/...media-2-5-solid-prime-focus-2.html#post964332
 
Back
Top