eddiejohnson

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sat dish pointing to astra,have FortecStar FSCO5600 11
Foxconn Dual 160GB Hard Drive.
Now with separate self installed dish with Bush freesat
My Location
South Yorkshire
I read a recent thread from one of our members with personal interest because I have a strange somewhat similar problem.

I used to have 2 tv's running 2 Bush sat receivers using a twin LNB UNiversal V2 from Faval.
I recently got rid of one of the tv's and now need only one cable from the sat dish.
However, the cable which used to work tv number 2 perfectly, now will not show any strength or anything, so I am having to
run the 1 tv from only one of the cables coming from the Twin LNB (the one which was used for the other, now removed tv)
Are you still with me?
My wonder is why the once working cable now refuses to show any signal at all?The reason I want to use the former cable is because I ran it to the tv from the outside wall and into the front window and is therefore tidier than the cable which used to go to the now removed tv which I now have running through the inner wall.

Incidentally, I emailed the company I bought the twin LNB from and asked for advice.
I asked them if it was possible that just one of the LNB's can fail to work, but after three clear explanations I gave them of the problem, they appear not to understand!!!!!
I eventually gave up and told them to go away (politely, of course!)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You may perhaps have a problem with the connectors on the cable, perhaps try swapping the outputs on the LNB around to test this?

DragonSat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+HD (DRX890C with 2TB Drive) connected to a boring basic sky dish
BFBS - Not yet connected
AFN - Not yet connected
Sky ITA - Not yet connected
My Location
York
Yes it is possible for 1/2 the LNB to fail. I have seen 1 of a quad fail (Very low noisy O/P). However the most likly cause is a bad cable joint, normally water has corroded the connector at the LNB end.

eddiejohnson

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Yorkshire
OK Having checked thoroughly all the cables and connectors, which were fine, I suspect you may be right about corrosion to the lnb connector.
I checked the lnb connector already and noticed that the rubber cover was dislodged...........

I intend now to swap over the connectors to the lnb's and see if that was the cause.
Thanks for your suggestion.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
The cable could be full of moisture if the rubber boot was not in place.

eddiejohnson

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Yorkshire
Everthing fine now!
I had to stretch the sides of the sleeve covering the entry to the 2nd.twin lnb to get it to fully cover the connection and then tape it up securely
to avoid any further water ingress.
worked a treat...thanks to all for your help.
cheers

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Nice - sounds as if any moisture didn't track far: But if you start to get problems again in future, do consider replacing the cable.

DragonSat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+HD (DRX890C with 2TB Drive) connected to a boring basic sky dish
BFBS - Not yet connected
AFN - Not yet connected
Sky ITA - Not yet connected
My Location
York
Glad you resolved it. Its a very very common issue I see in the winter months here. Newer LNBs have water covers on them to keep most of the water out. As no amount of tape will keep it all out.