Problems moving to a TNTSAT receiver

ultrafox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freeview
My Location
Europe
I have a Tonbury with a switch that was set up for receiving Astra 19.2 and Astra 28.2 . Both working well.

So now I want to add a receiver to receive TNTSAT at 19.2. OK so I disconeect (making sure the switch was on 19.2)

I got the Reciever and it basically said in French as long as you are point to 19.2, plug in and do an auto search and you're away. Not so easy!

When I did a search it seemed to have a strong signal across all transponders, but for some the quality was 0%.

eg I want TF1 and this
Standard DVB-S
HDTV no
Satellite Astra 1M
Orbital
Position 19.2°E
Polarization V
Transponder Number 1.074
Frequency (MHz) 11895
Audio Subcarrier (MHz) -
Symbol Rate (ksym/s) 27500
MPEG-2

but I can't get it....good signal but zero quality........

Yet I get KIKA (via the Tonbury) OK and this is also on 19.2
Standard DVB-S
HDTV no
Satellite Astra 1H
Orbital
Position 19.2°E
Polarization H
Transponder Number 1.077
Frequency (MHz) 11954
Audio Subcarrier (MHz) -
Symbol Rate (ksym/s) 27500

Where does the problem lie....with the alignment of the dish?

How can some TP Frequencies on 19.2 be good (80%) and others 0%??

Thanks for any help you can give in solving my problem.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not heard of a Tonbury, but I assume it's a standard digital satellite receiver with DiSeqC control. Is Astra 19.2 on DiSEqC port B by any chance?

If it is you need to set the TNT receiver to port B as well.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
ultrafox said:
So now I want to add a receiver to receive TNTSAT at 19.2. OK so I disconeect (making sure the switch was on 19.2)

You mentioned switch, it that an A/B switch or a DiSEqC switch?

Also check LNb config is set to universal 9750/10600.

Edit: too slow.

ultrafox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freeview
My Location
Europe
Many thanks for the replies.

Can't be totally sure but my Tonbury seems to be a standard reciever and current (working as we speak) has a mode "Multi satellite witn Switch" and in the menu Astra 19.2 is on DiSEqC 2 and Astra 28.2 is on DiSEqC 1 (presume this is port B and A respectively)

On the TNTSAT thjere are four opts DiSEqC 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 and USALS. Each opt has opt 1of 4, 2of 4, 3of etc. I presume these are the ports. I think I kept trying the ones which has a signal.

So does it matter what DiSEqC I chose? DiSEqC 1.0? and then would it be 2 of 4 even though I think my switch only has two ports.

Am I making sense? Sorry as you can tell, I just trying to figure it out as I go along.

btw does the universal 9750/10600 mean I can still get Frequency (MHz) 11895 ?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
You need to use Diseqc 1.0.

If the 19.2E is connected to the 2nd port then select 2 of 4.

The TNT sat receivers can't be used for multisat if I remember correctly, but can control a diseqc switch.

Yes, a universal LNB will get the frequency you require, the 9750/10600 refer to the local oscillator frequencies of the LNB.

ultrafox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freeview
My Location
Europe
Thanks again for the advice. I'll try it when I get home.

One final question. Can I assume that if I can receive 19.2 via my Tonbury for other channels then there is no problem with my Dish alignment for the TNTSAT receiver. I can then concentrate my efforts on the receiver/switch.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Correct although slight dish mis-alignment may cause some channels to work and others not to. In general if you have a good lock on the majority, then alignment is good and should be fine with the other receiver.

ultrafox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freeview
My Location
Europe
Good news....I now have all the channels on the TNTSAT Receiver. Thanks to all the great advice.

However , now I have a different problem. It seems the TNTSATreceiver cannot switch lnbs. Therefore I need to use my standard receiver to do this.

The setup I used to have was cable IN (Standard) OUT, IN (DIGIBOX), and it worked fine as long as I switch to 28.2 on the standard receiver before going to my digibox.

Now I have tried the set up...... IN (Standard) OUT, IN (TNTSAT) OUT, IN (DIGIBOX).

The problem is I get some channels on the DIGIBOX (ITV, BBC2 FIVE), but not all (I never get BBC1), and I often get the message " No satellite signal", even though checking the signal in the digibox show 50% signal and Quality goes up and down between 0% and 75%.

Is the TNTSAT interfering with the signal? Surely it should just route the whole signal? Any suggestions on the set up? Would making cables shorter between boxes help?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Are you saying that you are trying to loop through the TNT box, into a Sky Digibox?

To get this to work, you must:

1. Turn OFF the TNTsat box, so that the Sky box has full access to the LNB (both bands, and polarities)

2. Put 28E on input 1 of the Diseqc switch.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Looping through two boxes to get to a third is not going to be very successful, why not swap out the Astra 28.2 LNB for a quad and run a new cable direct to the Sky digibox?

ultrafox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freeview
My Location
Europe
Actually, not sure why, the opposite seems to work. I only get a signal when the TNTSAT box is on and not off(stand by)

Is there a way of boosting the signal? Otherwsise, as recommended, an additional cable via a quad lnb may be the answer.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Boosting won't work, the LNB is being controlled by the TNTsat box, the Digibox cannot thus switch bands or polarisation when it needs to.

An interim measure, that should work, LOL, is to put the TNT box on a channel that uses the same polarity and band as the channel you want on 28E.

ultrafox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freeview
My Location
Europe
Actually it's now all working.

I used a splitter to sent a separate cable into each receiver. Now only only have to make sure I switch lnbs using the tonbury reciever so that I view the digibox. I know it would be better using an additional cable directly to the digibox (rather than a switch)...but thats for another day!

Thanks for everyone advice. Great forum!