Advice Needed Problems with new motorised set-up

  • Thread starter Thread starter Archive4
  • Start date Start date
Made the mistake of elevating the motor and dropping the dish. Auto locks on 28.2 now using pick but low signal. Cannot now manual adjust to lock on BBC etc. tried to put it back how it was, but unable to get lock on bbc's etc now. Should have left it alone

:eek:
 
Made the mistake of elevating the motor and dropping the dish. Auto locks on 28.2 now using pick but low signal. Cannot now manual adjust to lock on BBC etc. tried to put it back how it was, but unable to get lock on bbc's etc now. Should have left it alone

:eek:
TBH ...I'd get that damned motor replaced ..as this seems to be the crux of the problem with alignment ..
There really was no point in adjusting till the hardware was sorted..
..it's asking for trouble imo..
 
TBH ...I'd get that damned motor replaced ..as this seems to be the crux of the problem with alignment ..
There really was no point in adjusting till the hardware was sorted..
..it's asking for trouble imo..
Know what you're saying, but I don't like to lose. Not giving up yet, just have to wait for the Emitor to recharge:-bighappy
 
Have been calculating this conundrum for a while now and have reached two conclusions, while in the " office "
1. I have to find the passage back to the place I was before
2. Don´t play with the dish after you´ve been to the office and are quoting the Eagles
Will play over the weekend!

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Having spent 8 hours on the roof today solving other peoples problems with terrestrial systems, while thinking about this one, have decided to drop the 110 and reset the motor elevation to 52ish, then try using motor with a recycled 60cm dish to see if the motor will turn correctly 75 each way ( think that is what it said in the book ). If that works will put 110 back on and see what happens.
 
Plan going good so far, think the problem could be the lh110. Got home, after some inspiration at the office, and dropped the 110. Reset motor elevation to 51.2 ish using an old spirit level with a revolving bubble. Set 60cm dish up on 0.8W and using the Emitor went to 68.5E and got Clear tv. Connected back to the VU Solo ( after setting dish back to 0.8W ) was able to go to 68.5E and get clear tv and push back to 0.8W, no problem. Then went to 28.2 for Pick tv, immediate lock.
Need a fta txp hard West to complete the experiment. After which I will try the 110 again, but suspect a better built dish ( backmount ) with better gain will perform admirably ans allow me to get the BBC´s etc without adjustment on the VU
 
Experiment resumed, using 60cm dish can now lock 68.5E to 45W. Will try 110 again next, but think a better and lighter dish is required
 
Do you have a picture of how that 110 is attached to the motor ?
 
Not at the moment, but I am now sure the lh110 mount is a big part of the problem. The mount is quite light weight and I think the weight of the dish is flexing the mount as it rotates as I'm back to having to change setting from 0.7w to 0.5e to compensate.
There is also a problem with the motor as it can't lift the 110 back from a far east sat. The 110 weighs 6kg according to spec from a website so motor should be able to cope.
Am going back to smaller dish ( if I can get the motor back from 68e ! )
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like the larger dish is exaggerating what may be backlash problems. Had a similar problem myself when upgrading from a 1M to 1.2M dish on my old Technomate motor. Fitting a new motor solved it...
 
Here´s the dead dish

110v2.webp

and here´s the mount

View attachment 81171

Thanks to Thunderbird 2 the dish is back up for now, but will be swapping back to the smaller dish.

Need to find a 1m/1.1m with a better mount, something like the smaller dish which I will post in a few mins when I have taken the photo and reduced the file size
 
Can recommend a Gibertini dish. If you need a new motor then I reckon the best one to get is a Technomate 2600.
 
Back mount from smaller dish

110v3.webp

What I need is a dish with similar strength mount and a gain to match the 110 ( approx 40dB ) so I can use the motor unit as a backup for 28.2 if I have problems with the big dish. ( Also more fun for playing with )
 
Just proved the theory. Had the 110 on 28.2 east then returned it to 0.8 west and only had 10.4db. ( had 14.5 when set up ) Moved the dish to 45 west and then returned it to 0.8 west, now have 14.2, dish must be twisting mount on tilt
 
Back
Top