Prodelin 1.2m w. polar mount

  • Thread starter Thread starter archive10
  • Start date Start date
A

archive10

Guest
Gents,
Recently acquired this 120 cm Prodelin dish. It was advertised as a 150, but on-site inspection made it clear that this was not the case.
It is labelled Echostar, but some browsing on the Internet reveals that it's a Prodelin type 1130 Rx only.
(At least that's what I think. It's a Prodelin for sure, but the exact model is a bit elusive.)
It needs some cleaning up, but all-in-all there is only slight damage to the back-structure ribs. The reflector surface seems largely undisturbed.
Question: Can someone tell me how this model stacks up against a Channel Master 1.2m dish? I will have a go comparing the two within the next weeks, but I am curious to what other experience is out there.
The dish came with a nice polar mount, which is what really prompted me to buy it in the first place. The mount seems slightly over-engineered for a 120 cm dish (compared to e.g. the CM polar mount for the CM120).

I was considering putting a CM120 on this (although it may not make sense if the Prodelin reflector works just as well). But seeing the sturdiness of the mount, I am now strongly considering if this mount might not actually carry the weight and load of a CM type 180...? The polar mount is made from 3 mm steel plate, whereas the CM180 AzEl mount is made form 4 and 5 mm steel plates. Nevertheless, it feels very sturdy, and I am guessing that it was made to fit a range of dish-sizes from 120 upwards. I have, however, not been able to find anything substantial on the interweb about the mount, so I would welcome any feedback.
 

Attachments

  • 1.webp
    1.webp
    51.1 KB · Views: 240
  • 2.webp
    2.webp
    55.4 KB · Views: 197
  • 3.webp
    3.webp
    69.1 KB · Views: 185
  • 4.webp
    4.webp
    59.8 KB · Views: 216
  • 5.webp
    5.webp
    83.3 KB · Views: 196
Nevertheless, it feels very sturdy, and I am guessing that it was made to fit a range of dish-sizes from 120 upwards. I have, however, not been able to find anything substantial on the interweb about the mount, so I would welcome any feedback.

It will NOT hold something as substantial as a 1.8, fibreglass dish (with feed and LNB) accurately on the arc.
 
Last edited:
Channel Hopper is right, it is too flimsy for a 180cm.

Those mounts are light in the hand, mounts for 180cm and 200cm are very heavy by comparison.


There is no point in getting a Channel Master 120cm the performance will be the same. :)
 
Channel Hopper is right, it is too flimsy for a 180cm.
Those mounts are light in the hand, mounts for 180cm and 200cm are very heavy by comparison.
I hear you (echoing CH). The mount is probably not up for holding a 180cm for a industrial-strength proper installation.

Nevertheless, this thing is quite heavy. Compared to a CM120 official polar mount this is industrial grade things. The cm120 also rusts like there's not tomorrow. (I never understood that. All my (non-polar) CM mounts are proper galvanised jobs, with little or no rust on them. Must be an out-sourcing thing...)

It's all a matter of level of ambition - I am sure you (I) can put a 180cm on that mount, and get reasonable performance, with, say, a heavy-duty 36" actuator. Maybe the performance wont be as smoooth - and maybe it wont survive the next winter-storm, maybe it will (depending on the installation site). But a new (e.g. purplesat or satellitesuperstore, or even pro stuff) polar mount will be £££ (or €€€€), compared to, well, nothing almost, at the moment. A bit of 1" ply for the adaptor, a couple of bolts, and a 3" tube in concrete...

So in the "try-it-and-see-what-happens" spirit of this site, I am feeling inclined to mount first the 1.2m Prodelin, then the 1.8m CM reflector, just to see what happens. If the mount folds - then lesson learnt. If it doesn't - then job-to-persuade-swmbo-to-let-another-1.8m-cm-hang-on-the-house.

There is no point in getting a Channel Master 120cm the performance will be the same. :)
Yes. but just for reference, I'll measure one of the 120s against the Prodelin before the 180 goes on.
Always nice to know.
Then I'll stick one of the 120s on the SMW mount to see just how that works...
 
I hear you (echoing CH). The mount is probably not up for holding a 180cm for a industrial-strength proper installation.

Nevertheless, this thing is quite heavy. Compared to a CM120 official polar mount this is industrial grade things. The cm120 also rusts like there's not tomorrow. (I never understood that. All my (non-polar) CM mounts are proper galvanised jobs, with little or no rust on them. Must be an out-sourcing thing...)

Yes cost cutting is possibly to blame. Strange though when the rest of the CM gear is designed to be very durable.

Hammerite is great, possibly a life saver.

It's all a matter of level of ambition - I am sure you (I) can put a 180cm on that mount, and get reasonable performance, with, say, a heavy-duty 36" actuator. Maybe the performance wont be as smoooth - and maybe it wont survive the next winter-storm, maybe it will (depending on the installation site). But a new (e.g. purplesat or satellitesuperstore, or even pro stuff) polar mount will be £££ (or €€€€), compared to, well, nothing almost, at the moment. A bit of 1" ply for the adaptor, a couple of bolts, and a 3" tube in concrete...

Maybe if its very sheltered.

Have you seen a big dish in strong wind?

It may put you off.

It certainly puts me off.

So in the "try-it-and-see-what-happens" spirit of this site, I am feeling inclined to mount first the 1.2m Prodelin, then the 1.8m CM reflector, just to see what happens. If the mount folds - then lesson learnt.

But yes fiddling is great fun!

If it doesn't - then job-to-persuade-swmbo-to-let-another-1.8m-cm-hang-on-the-house.

You may be taking your :eek: life in your hands. :-Axechase

Yes. but just for reference, I'll measure one of the 120s against the Prodelin before the 180 goes on.
Always nice to know.
Then I'll stick one of the 120s on the SMW mount to see just how that works...

Don't forget to include a 10% margin of error.

:)
 
Have you seen a big dish in strong wind?
It may put you off.
Yes, I have a 180cm sitting 3 meters from my window. Not moved an inch since I put it up :)
But yes fiddling is great fun!
Yes! Else we wouldn't be doing this! It's not a rational hobby. But it's great!!
(My wife asks this every now and then... "Now we have cable TV, why are you still fiddling around with those dishes???". Answer - of course -: Because I can!)
 
Yes! Else we wouldn't be doing this! It's not a rational hobby. But it's great!!
(My wife asks this every now and then... "Now we have cable TV, why are you still fiddling around with those dishes???". Answer - of course -: Because I can!)

If you are determined to try it, then cheapest way forward is to replace the nylon bearings with brass ones. It should cost about £20 in total.

If the dish is in the slightest bit open to wind shear then the two spindles will tear the threads sooner rather than later.
 
If you are determined to try it, then cheapest way forward is to replace the nylon bearings with brass ones. It should cost about £20 in total.

If the dish is in the slightest bit open to wind shear then the two spindles will tear the threads sooner rather than later.
Geronimooooo!
 
Yes, I have a 180cm sitting 3 meters from my window. Not moved an inch since I put it up :)

It must be fairly well sheltered there.

A big dish oscillating violently in the wind is unforgettable. :-toilet


Yes! Else we wouldn't be doing this! It's not a rational hobby. But it's great!!
(My wife asks this every now and then... "Now we have cable TV, why are you still fiddling around with those dishes???". Answer - of course -: Because I can!)


You are still alive so you must be doing something right!
 
Hi Everyone.

New here.

I have one of these Echostar 1.2mt dishes that I have taken out of storage after about ten years.
I am going to set it up again.
Does anyone have the manual that came with this dish as I'm unsure about how to set the angles etc ?

Tony.
 
Hi Everyone.

New here.

I have one of these Echostar 1.2mt dishes that I have taken out of storage after about ten years.
I am going to set it up again.
Does anyone have the manual that came with this dish as I'm unsure about how to set the angles etc ?

Tony.


this might be of use to youechostar dish angles.webp
 
Re-use story so far:
- build temporary test mount for experimentation
- rejuvenate nuts and bolts on mount
- fit with new actuator and Vbox

...more to come (dish, arms, aligment etc)

IMG_8092q.webp

IMG_8093q.webp

IMG_8095q.webp

DSC_1041q.webp

DSC_1042q.webp

IMAG0355q.webp

IMAG0379q.webp

IMAG0381q.webp
 
Well I managed to get my 1.2 sorted similar to what st1 is going to do.
I now get from Yamel @54.0 East to Amazonas @55.4 West.
Here are a few photos of the dish setup.


Tony.

20140729_202136.webp20140729_202243.webp20140729_202210.webp
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Quality install and a great range! What are you getting from Yamal @ 55E? Any other interesting observations?
 
Hi Captain.

I checked Yamel 402 @ 54.9' just now & I'm picking up 10976H 27500 2/3 which includes Racing Int Yamal, Service2, Tellytrack SA & Sports Hub.
SportsHub is the only one clear but quite strong.
There is another signal at 11559V SR3799 but I can't get a lock even though it looks strong enough. Its actually Gazprom Space Systems Internet so that's why I can't get it.

Interestingly I'm also picking up channels on 12612V SR16083 which include Petersburg 5Kanal, Zvezda, Life News, Rossia 24 & NTV. These are on the Northern Beam & down here in the South West I'm well outside that footprint so they are just locking. I suspect If I could move another little east they might be stronger but I'm already at my eastern limit.

On the system itself I set my southern satellite as Express @ 11 West but found I was going under Turksat @ 42 east. I moved the polar mount a little to the east & that put it right on the arc. My dish is 35mts from the receiver which is a Technomate 7102HD using a V Box for dish movement.

Tony.
 
Lovely install with a great arc Tony, how sensitive are the 7102's are you going to try any other C120 LNB's on her?
 
Lovely install with a great arc Tony, how sensitive are the 7102's are you going to try any other C120 LNB's on her?

Hi Remlap.
Been away from sat for a long time so don't know about receiver sensitivity but I believe the Technomates are very sensitive.I used to have several receivers back in the good old days.

I am on the lookout for a receiver to use for feeds but haven't made any decision yet. I was hoping that by now someone would have brought out a receiver with 4.2.2 & a fast reliable blind scan but dream on.
In the old days I had a few of the first blind search receivers like Coship & Innovia.

The lnb I am using is an Invacom 0.3 twin output which I had stored away for years since I last did sat. It was brand new unused in its box so decided on advice to give it a try. I had another Invacom fixed to the feedhorn when I dug out all my old sat gear a few weeks ago but I replaced that lnb with the new one I had in stock.

I have a lot of reading to do before I change anything as I've forgotten anything I ever knew about sat.
 
Back
Top