(1) 3M Channel Master SMC PF
(2) 2.4M Channel Master SMC PF
(3) 1.2M Channel Master offset
(2) 1M Channel Master offset
(2) 1.2M Prodelin offset
(1) 1.8M Prodelin offset
My Location
North Carolina USA
I'm located in the US, and over the years I've been playing with different configurations for my KU Atlantic Ocean Region dish. It is an 8 ft Channel Master SMC with left hand drive that can cover 12.5W to around 103W. In the past I have used an Invacom TWF-031 with an Invacom C120 prime focus feed. The configuration worked quite well but with only 2 outputs it could only work with 2 dedicated receivers, and I had a couple others that I wanted to have connected. I then tried a double ortho configuration with a set of low band and a set of high band LNB's. That worked well, but I became irritated with having 2 different dish positions for each band.

The last couple of years or so I've been looking around the European forums, and the talk of the town has been the Inverto Black Ultra as the amplifier of choice for weak signals. Before burying my bundle of wires last year I made sure it contained 4 coax lines for that dish, so a quattro with separate outputs for each band/polarity seemed to be the thing to do. I have a pretty big power supply so I don't need built in voltage polarity switching...that will be done with the multiswitch.

The problem I then faced was the Inverto didn't come in a C120 flange version and I wanted to use the Invacom prime focus feed I had handy. So how could the Inverto be converted to prime focus? It was evident the offset feed would need to be chopped off, thereby voiding the warranty. We experimenters always have to take a chance I guess. My first thought was to cut off the offset feed and not use a flange at all and just mate the waveguides together somehow. That was going to be the plan until I considered having a machinist cut the offset feed off, then turn and thread the waveguide to accept the threads from the prime focus scalar. There would be less waveguide loss that way.

The conversion was successful. Pic 1 is the naked LNBF with a cut mark applied to mark where to cut the offset scalar. Pic 2 is the scalar cut off and the waveguide turned and threaded. Pic 3 is the LNBF with the Invacom prime focus scalar attached. Pic 4 and 5 are of the installation after bringing the focal length to the required 38.5".

My test satellite is the signals on the Spot 2 beam of Intelsat 903 at 34.5W. This beam is aimed to the Eastern Caribbean and Northern South America. I'm WELL to the North of this beam, Before, I could only lock 2 of the signals and they both had errors. Now I can lock every signal on that beam with the exception of a single data signal, and I'm not even sure my receiver could lock it anyway. All signals are error free. I'm extremely pleased with the results.

Attachments

• pic01.jpg
    pic01.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 178
  • pic02.JPG
    pic02.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 208
  • pic03.JPG
    pic03.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 226
  • pic04.jpg
    pic04.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 239
  • pic05.jpg
    pic05.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 200

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Nice work, thanks for sharing. I'm a big fan of the Black Ultra, but I've only used them on smaller offset dishes. Would love to try doing that on my 1.8m p/f dish sometime.

mouse3

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 offset,1.2 simetric ,0.9 offset.
My Location
Transilvania
Here in the East Inverto Black Ultra it s imported from China in two version,offset and primefocus.
Primefocus twin it s the best of all,Single it s not good for DX-ing.
By the way,what C band single LNC it s the best for fringe in the US ? I need one.

ACRadio

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
(2) 1.2M Prodelin offset
(1) 1.8M Prodelin offset
My Location
North Carolina USA
mouse3 said:
By the way,what C band single LNC it s the best for fringe in the US ? I need one.
I don't use LNBF's or single unit feed/amplifiers. For weak signal work the best method is to use a single band orthomode coupler. That way you can use quality high stability amplifiers such as California Amplifier, Norsat, or Japan Radio (NJR). Doing things this way can be quite expensive, but usually the best isn't the cheapest. I use a Chaparral ortho feed with a Spaun Multiswitch and a pair of Cal Amp Extended Professional II LNB's on the 3 meter. I power the LNB's with a 3.5 amp medical rated 18 volt regulated power supply. But I don't need that much current for just those 2 LNB's, I'm powering 13 others in the system...:) I use a pair of Chaparral ortho feeds with a modified Zinwell multiswitch on the 2.4 meter C band AOR dish...one for linear polarity and one for circular. On that dish I use a pair of Cal Amp's for the linear feed and a pair of Norsat 8115's for circular. I power all 4 quattro lines of the Inverto with the supply, as well as 2 NJR PLL LNB's on a 1.2 meter KU ortho, 2 NJR DRO LNB's on another 1.2 meter KU ortho, and a single Cal Amp C band LNB for a fixed 1.8 meter Prodelin...15 in all.

mouse3

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 offset,1.2 simetric ,0.9 offset.
My Location
Transilvania
Well,with orthomode coupler,Cal Amplifier,Norsat and Japan Radio i never play here now and in the future i think.This technology it s beyound us,Eastern DX enthusiast.Looks cool Your dish farm.
I fill sorry cos i was born here in the East.

ACRadio

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
(2) 1.2M Prodelin offset
(1) 1.8M Prodelin offset
My Location
North Carolina USA
Here is a dead link to my dish farm pics. Replace the xx's...

hxxp://s970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/ACRadio/The%20NEW%20ACRadio%20Dish%20Farm/