Promax HD Ranger 50 SE

vma

Reaction score
Website
vma-satellite.blogspot.pt
My Satellite Setup
RX: 3 motorized DiSEqC-1.2 dishes (100cm, 110cm, 120cm) + 7 regular dishes.
Main receiver: Vu+ Duo + many others & IRD
TX: Modulators for DVB-S/C/T + Dektec Modulators
Field Meter: Emitor, KWS, Kathrein, Unaohm, Promax, Spaun, Rover Instruments, ...
My Location
Portugal
Hi,

I got a good deal on eBay for a Promax HD Ranger 50 SE. It arrived yesterday and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised with this device.

As you probably know, I have a considerable collection of field meters and I was lacking a sample from Promax...

I hope to put a review on my blog, as soon as possible, but the key points that I liked are:

1) Great TFT screen
2) Very fast spectrum, especially remarkable on the terrestrial band
3) Good constellation diagram
4) I liked the possibility to SIMULTANEOUSLY show spectrum, live picture and measurements - the only other field meter that I own that can do it is the Spaun Sparos 711 (OEM of Sefram 787x)
5) Relatively small and light device
6) Battery seems to last 2-3 hours on my second hand device

More info on this device:

New HD RANGER 50 SE field strength meter, Limited Edition - PROMAX Electronica S. L.
Download PROMAX user manuals: HD RANGER 50 SE Field strength meter (50 years edition) - PROMAX Electronica

Question to other HD Ranger owners:

My device comes with an acrylic glas on top of the screen. This glass is scratched and slightly loose on the right side, where the glue has come off. I *think* this glass was an optional screen protection. Also, two tiny fragments of glue/dirt have travelled on top of the LCD (I think they are actually on the acrylic glass, but on the inside).

- Am I correct, that this is an optional screen protection?
- I am considering removing this acrylic glas, have it polished and cleaned - how would I glue it back on: what is the recommended type of glue?
- Can such an acrylic glas still be purchased as an option? If so, how much would it cost?

Regards,
Vitor

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Hi,

I got a good deal on eBay for a Promax HD Ranger 50 SE. It arrived yesterday and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised with this device.

As you probably know, I have a considerable collection of field meters and I was lacking a sample from Promax...

I hope to put a review on my blog, as soon as possible, but the key points that I liked are:

1) Great TFT screen
2) Very fast spectrum, especially remarkable on the terrestrial band
3) Good constellation diagram
4) I liked the possibility to SIMULTANEOUSLY show spectrum, live picture and measurements - the only other field meter that I own that can do it is the Spaun Sparos 711 (OEM of Sefram 787x)
5) Relatively small and light device
6) Battery seems to last 2-3 hours on my second hand device

More info on this device:

New HD RANGER 50 SE field strength meter, Limited Edition - PROMAX Electronica S. L.
Download PROMAX user manuals: HD RANGER 50 SE Field strength meter (50 years edition) - PROMAX Electronica

Question to other HD Ranger owners:

My device comes with an acrylic glas on top of the screen. This glass is scratched and slightly loose on the right side, where the glue has come off. I *think* this glass was an optional screen protection. Also, two tiny fragments of glue/dirt have travelled on top of the LCD (I think they are actually on the acrylic glass, but on the inside).

- Am I correct, that this is an optional screen protection?
- I am considering removing this acrylic glas, have it polished and cleaned - how would I glue it back on: what is the recommended type of glue?
- Can such an acrylic glas still be purchased as an option? If so, how much would it cost?

Regards,
Vitor
Possibly an add-on for that specific model Viktor. My Promax HD Ranger + has just the TFT screen, with no obvious means of attaching any protector over it.

vma

Reaction score
Website
My Satellite Setup
Field Meter: Emitor, KWS, Kathrein, Unaohm, Promax, Spaun, Rover Instruments, ...
My Location
Portugal
Possibly an add-on for that specific model Viktor. My Promax HD Ranger + has just the TFT screen, with no obvious means of attaching any protector over it.

So your device has no acrylic glass that is glued on the orange border around the screen? On mine this glas is rectangular with filleted borders. There is a slot on the lower side that matches exactly the protrusion of the orange border around the screen. This slot has the glue in it, that holds the glas firmly against the border.

Interesting. I only noticed that it seems to be an option because it is mentioned on the original invoice ("optional protective glass") and because the online pictures of most Promax HD Ranger models don't show such a glass - even those without touch screen, like the HD Ranger+ and even pictures of the HD Ranger 50 SE.

I guess if I remove the glass, I will get a device looking brand new, but of course I want to keep the glass. Instead I want to polish, clean and reseat it with new glue. First I need to understand how to remove it (probably applying some hot air to losen up the glue) and what glue I need to use to put the glass back on.

Regards,
Vitor

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
So your device has no acrylic glass that is glued on the orange border around the screen? On mine this glas is rectangular with filleted borders. There is a slot on the lower side that matches exactly the protrusion of the orange border around the screen. This slot has the glue in it, that holds the glas firmly against the border.
No glass. just the chamfered edge of the orange border, with as I said, nothing to be able to attach a glass protector that I can find.

Maybe it's just a cosmetic difference, added for the anniversary edition, unless they have had TFT damage reported. Mine seems robust enough, but I'm not an installer, maybe some protection would be better for the screen if used a lot outside.

Ranger Screen.JPG

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Elite 2.2 PF - CM1.8 - CM1.2 - Gibertini 1.25.
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
PC cards-TM5402 receivers.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.
No glass. just the chamfered edge of the orange border, with as I said, nothing to be able to attach a glass protector that I can find.

Maybe it's just a cosmetic difference, added for the anniversary edition, unless they have had TFT damage reported. Mine seems robust enough, but I'm not an installer, maybe some protection would be better for the screen if used a lot outside.

View attachment 113908

mines the same as Llews as well, the only other thing that comes close to the description is on the protective cover that comes with the meter.
.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Promax screen .. reduced...jpgPromax cover .... reduced..jpg

vma

Reaction score
Website
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Portugal
Mine looks exactly like yours, except it has the glass on top of the chanfered edge.

The glass has a cut that matches this edge exaclty. This is easy to mill - just a contour with a shaped tool.

I will post a picture later. I think it should be fairly cheap to have acrylic glass cut for this. If there is interest, I will see how much it would cost.

Only open question is what glue to use.

Cheers,
Vitor

View attachment 113908

vma

Reaction score
Website
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Portugal
Here the promised picture.

The acrylic glass is really just a glass glued to the edge. The corners of the glass (all around) are thinner, so that the inner thicker part goes inside the frame (can't explain it better).

Regards,
Vitor

Attachments

• Capturar.JPG
    Capturar.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 23

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Here the promised picture.

The acrylic glass is really just a glass glued to the edge. The corners of the glass (all around) are thinner, so that the inner thicker part goes inside the frame (can't explain it better).

Regards,
Vitor
Seems to be more of an ad hoc addition Vitor. Is that as supplied by Promax, or is your meter previously owned, not new?

vma

Reaction score
Website
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Portugal
I bought it second hand on eBay, but it comes with extendend warranty from the Promax dealer until 2019. Also, the original invoice mentions this protective glass as an option, so I do believe it is legit and comes from Promax.

I have seen some images on Google Search that shows other similar units with this glass on. For example, this video shows one exactly like mine:

Notice the glass on top of the screen! It doesn't show well, but on the screen border you can see that there is a glass glued on. I think it was an option for "hardcore" users.

Knowing that your devices don't have this glass makes me happy, as it means that if I remove mine, I will get a brilliantly new scratch-free screen on a HD Ranger 50 SE that otherwise looks as new, too.

It is just the glass that shows some wear. And I am a bit pedantic regarding having my devices in top mint condition.

Regards,
Vitor

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
It is just the glass that shows some wear. And I am a bit pedantic regarding having my devices in top mint condition.
Yes, that's understandable considering the price of these meters.

I can see reflection of the glass in the video, that glass looks in mint condition.

However, unless you manage to scrape the front of the meter on tiles as you fall off a roof, I would remove it, so you can see a clear screen.

vma

Reaction score
Website
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Portugal
The screen looks much worse in the picture I posted than it really is, because of the angle.

If looked at from front it looks not that bad.

What I wanted to know is if the glass is a normal feature or not and I now understand it is not. Thanks!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not got a glass on mine, but it does leave the screen vulnerable and I have a circle of dead pixels, but fortunately can still see what I need to and it is great even in the brightest conditions.

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.
Ver 25.0 firmware available now

vma

Reaction score
Website
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Portugal
Promax does not seem to have a change log? What is new on Ver 25.0?

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.
Promax does not seem to have a change log? What is new on Ver 25.0?

Yes your right about the lack of a change log which would be useful. When you connect the meter to the pc with 'NetUpdate 4' running on the right com port (mine is COM3) and select 'Detect' it will tell you that your machine has an update available and it tells you what the additions are. You then need to write the changes down which i didn't do on this occasion ... there was a mention of a filter addition and lnb range changes and a couple of other things.

vma

Reaction score
Website
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Portugal
As an additional note, I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that you can record a TS on a connected USB.

Unfortunately, my HD Ranger SE 50 came without the Mini USB OTG cable - I didn't know such cable exists... I had only seen Micro USB OTG cables until yesterday.

I did order such a cable on eBay for less than one Euro, but it will take 3 weeks to arrive from China. So meanwhile I went to the local China store and bought a cable without any reference, that has a USB A female connector and Mini USB on the other side. It did not work, of course...

The OTG cable is just like a regular cable, but on the Mini/Micro USB connector, PIN 4 is connected to PIN 5. So putting a little bit of solder on both traces of this non-working cable will make the HD RANGER recognize the USB flash memory.

Sadly, only the current TV channel is streamed to a file and not the entire transponder - but that would be difficult anyway, because of the USB-2.0 limited bandwidth.

Regards,
Vitor

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands

vma

Reaction score
Website
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Portugal
Hi,

I ended up removing the front glass and cleaned it extensively, removing all glue and dirt.

WIthout the acrylic glass, my HD Ranger 50 SE looks like brand new, so thumbs up for the protective glass!

I then polished the outside of the glass and put it back on. There were still slight remains of the glue, which hold the glass on the meter. I will leave it like this, without adding extra glue, as it is good enough for protection and still easy enough to remove without damaging anything.

The result looks good:

Capture.JPG

I ended up measuring the acrylic glass and I modelled in in CAD. If you want, you can download the CAD model in Parasolid format and have some acrylic cut to match your device. I think that a few drops of UHU are good enough to hold it in place and it certainly protects the screen from any damage and dirt.

Please confirm the inner dimensions (153mm x 93mm) before having a piece of acrylic cut - this is the size of the screen - inner border of the frame.

Capture2.JPG

Regards,
Vitor

Attachments

• Promax HD Ranger - Acrylic Screen Protection Glass.zip
    6.7 KB · Views: 2

vma

Reaction score
Website
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Portugal
For general info: differences between HD Ranger+ and HD Ranger 50 SE

The HD Ranger 50 SE (50 year Special Edition to celebrate the annoversary of Promax) was launched for a short period of time at a reduced price - aprox. 2.800 Euro.

It lacks a few features of the more expensive HD Ranger+, which apparently cost around 4.500 Euro.

The main lacking features are:

DVB-T: No Echo Measurement
DVB-T: No MER by Carrier Measurement
DVB-C: No automatic Stealth-ID, i.e. the device does not determine the Symbol Rate automatically (this sucks)
Spectrum: No Spectogram rendering
Battery: Does not show the remaining charge autonomy in hours/minutes

Due to the similarity of both devices (+ and 50 SE), I wonder if the hardware is the same and the limitation is just by software...

Regards,
Vitor