Push off Ch.4.

gooner1

Reaction score
Hi. can any of you very helpfull and technical kind sorts..Creep-Lick.

My New Sky Plus system is up and running very nicely...But....It seems CH.4.Keeps trying to break into my Sky Chan. I can get rid on my main tv by switching to scart which clears it up. But on my other T.V's in the house i get the distortion in the way of lines and sometimes very bad inteferrence and you can see whats on ch.4. How do i move it away from sky or the other way round...I am not very technical so if anyone does know a fix and could please explain in full on how to do it. Then please let me know. I'm worried i will start moving Chan's around and not be able to get them back..A bit thick you see.

Thanks in advance.......Mark.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Sounds like the UHF ferquency that your Sky box is using is too close to that of Channel 4.

Don't have a Sky box but you are looking to change the UHF output frequency which must be on a menu somewhere. Someone here will know.

You will have to watch that when you change it you don't move it closer to another broadcaster ferquency of if you have a video that frequency.

This may help...

UHF Frequency is the output frequency that each peice of equipment will transmitt on, The UHF frequencie band starts at ch 21 and stops with most at ch 69 so, if for instance you recieve your terrestrial tv pictures from winter hill (granada), the ch that BBC1 taransmitts on is ch 55, therefore you cannot have your video or satellite transmitting on ch 55 because you will get interferance between the two things both trying to use the same frequency, ( this is called cross modulation ) also you cannot use channels either side of a terrestrial transmision e.g. ch 54, or 56 for the same reason, most new equipment will be fully variable from 21 to 69 so you may need to find a clear ch to put your sky on, Sky's modulator output (UHF) frequency can be changed by pressing : Services / 4 / 01 select / 4..
On this menu you can alter the RF output anything from ch21 to ch69 and also turn on the second RF output voltage to power the triax 4 way splitter ( remember that if you make any changes you will need to go to save new settings and press select)

Your Scart is a direct connection and doesn't use this so that's why it works OK through it.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
If you press services 401 select (despite the 0 appearing to do nothing, it does) in quick succession you will get into the installer menu, that’s on a normal digibox, I’m not sure about Sky+, but I think it’s the same.

There you can change the FR output frequency, you will of course have to re tune all the TVs connected by FR after changing it.

To check that that is indeed the problem unplug the house terrestrial aerial and video terrestrial loopthrough (if you have one). If the distortion goes away then changing the frequency should fix it.

gooner1

Reaction score
PoloMint said:
If you press services 401 select (despite the 0 appearing to do nothing, it does) in quick succession you will get into the installer menu, that’s on a normal digibox, I’m not sure about Sky+, but I think it’s the same.

There you can change the FR output frequency, you will of course have to re tune all the TVs connected by FR after changing it.

To check that that is indeed the problem unplug the house terrestrial aerial and video terrestrial loopthrough (if you have one). If the distortion goes away then changing the frequency should fix it.

Thanks chaps...It was set to 32. Now iv'e moved it to 38 and i have lost my Chan 5. But i'm not too bothered about that as i now have a perfect picture with Sky..No interference at all. I could always watch 5 on Sky anyway..So thanks again for the fix....

Mark.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Glad you got it working, you should be able to get a frequency not occupied by anything else, but if it works and you’re not bothered it doesn’t really matter. One problem about being on top of your channel 5 signal is that channel 5 might be affecting the picture quality slightly, maybe not as bad as the channel it was on top of before, but still slightly.

I don’t know what I was thinking this morning, it’s of course RF, not FR.

I blame it on spending too long in Spain, I seem to remember some of their other abbreviations being the exact reverse the English equivalents. :D