My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 600
PC
LAN PC-DB with crossed cable
PC connected via WLAN to DSL modem/router
Dreambox not connected to Internet
My Location
Germany
Before my DreamBox 600, I used a Topfield 5000 PVR.
Clearly, the DreamBox is more fun, but what I miss from the Topfield are the PVR and playback functionalities.

While playing back, you can set bookmarks. With a button, you cycle through the bookmarks. This is useful when you stop viewing a TV show (for instance, because you want to play another recording), you can then return immediately to the point where you left.
It is also possible to cut parts of the recording, typically from the current point to the end, or from the beginning to the current point.

My questions:
1) Is there an image with these functionalities?
2) If there is not, would it be possible for me to implement this? Of course, I would need some guidance, but I was able to design extensions for the Topfield (TAPs), and I guess Dreambox should look more like a "normal" Linux box.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Carlitto said:
Before my DreamBox 600, I used a Topfield 5000 PVR.
Clearly, the DreamBox is more fun, but what I miss from the Topfield are the PVR and playback functionalities.

While playing back, you can set bookmarks. With a button, you cycle through the bookmarks. This is useful when you stop viewing a TV show (for instance, because you want to play another recording), you can then return immediately to the point where you left.
It is also possible to cut parts of the recording, typically from the current point to the end, or from the beginning to the current point.

My questions:
1) Is there an image with these functionalities?
2) If there is not, would it be possible for me to implement this? Of course, I would need some guidance, but I was able to design extensions for the Topfield (TAPs), and I guess Dreambox should look more like a "normal" Linux box.

I agree that there are limitations with recording and editing with the Dreambox. There is a lot to be done in this area.
I use a DVD recorder with HDD so that I can use these missing functions, and then make a DVD directly to contents that I wish to keep.
Sorry, but I can't give you a correct answer to your questions.