Question for Spiney (And other Members)

Marts

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90 cm dish + two LNB 13/19 E
90 cm dish + one LNB 30 W
Humax 5400 .. Oh and cable for Mrs Marts (smilie here)
My Location
Gozo - Malta
Do you have a mentor ? Who do you admire ? other than family that is ;)

Me ? well obviously old Eddy, but as stated in another thread I do hold the likes of Richard Branson, Michael O'Leary and Ron Jeremy in high esteem
thumbs.gif

Not so with the Rooney's and golden balls of this world :-ohmy

Regards - Marts :)

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
No problem!

My heroes are:

J S Mill (individual liberty).

Karl Popper (scientific discovery).

Many many others, but not as important ...... anyone who's advanced the sum total of human knowledge, or - at least - sincerely tried to!

Marts

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gozo - Malta
spiney said:
No problem!

My heroes are:

J S Mill (individual liberty).

Karl Popper (scientific discovery).

Many many others, but not as important ...... anyone who's advanced the sum total of human knowledge, or - at least - sincerely tried to!

Ooops .. I should have been more specific spiney .. and said those still alive today. The list of deceased high rankers is as endless as Da Vinci's achievements :eek:

Maaarts :)

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Marts said:
Ooops .. I should have been more specific spiney .. and said those still alive today. The list of deceased high rankers is as endless as Da Vinci's achievements :eek:

I don't quite understand .... in what way would Sir RIchard be a "mentor"?

I don't admire anyone currently "in the public eye", if that's what you mean!

Marts

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gozo - Malta
spiney said:
I don't quite understand .... in what way would Sir RIchard be a "mentor"?

I don't admire anyone currently "in the public eye", if that's what you mean!

I'm sure he's many peoples mentor .. Sir Richard .. especially anyone in business or who has read his autobiography
thumbs.gif

Wow spiney me owd .. rather profound and sweeping statement there .. no admiration for anyone in the public eye :eek:

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
Sorry, Mart, really can't think of anyone ...... of course, I 'd say the people I've mentioned are still very much a "living influence" ......

As for Sir RIchard, have you read Tim Jackson's biography?

(I still don't see how he's a mentor, does he write letters to you?).

Marts

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gozo - Malta
spiney said:
(I still don't see how he's a mentor, does he write letters to you?).

Yep with these
lips.gif
but there again I (we) did meet the guy a couple of years ago at the BUDDHA BAR PARIS together with his good lady, and Jean Michel Jarre, together with his most gracious Charlotte :eek:

Also worth noting, I am second on Richards list (after Ron Jeremy as mentioned in my intro post .. another of Marts mentors) of would be space tourists .. possibly some time in 2045 .. you see that's not lateral or new thinking .. it's forward thinking :D

Maarts

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
Crikey, Marts, you do seem to be very well connected ....... I'm jealous!

Living in Malta, trips to Paris ..... crikey.

(When in France, avoid eating soup, unless you can see right through to the bottom of the dish!).

I go shopping occasionally ..... it's a change of scenery!

My understanding is that tricky dicky (oops, I mean Sir Richard!) is intending to "do the little hop" himself, which means the 1st suborbital vehicles should be ready quite soon ........

Meanwhile, if you see him again, if you could just mention the trains .....

And back to mentors:

Isac Newton famously said "if I've seen further than other men, it's because I've stood on the shoulders of giants ....." (or something very similar).

Sometimes, by standing on a huge pile of science/electronics textbooks - if I don't fall off - then standing on tiptoe, and looking over the fence, I get a brief glimpse of a neighbour's satellite dish (before starting to wobble).

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Isaac Newton may have said it Spiney, but he borrowed it from a 12th Century Chartrain Monk, Bernard of Chartres.

" We are like dwarfs on the shoulders of giants, so that we can see more than they, and things at a greater distance, not by virtue of any sharpness on sight on our part, or any physical distinction, but because we are carried high and raised up by their giant size."

PS. I certainly don't have anyone I would consider a mentor and as for a hero or iconic figure, can't really think of one, so I guess that means that I don't have one. :)

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
Rolf, that's very interesting indeed! The Newton quote is often given (for example, it's on our £2 coin), and I've never before seen the original source!

Did you know that, or look it up?

As for not having a mentor, what did Polonius say to Hamlet (hope that's right!)?

" ..... finally, to thine own self be true, and it follows - as night follows day - that thou cannot then be false to any other man .....".

(or something like that, Shakespeare was a bit fussy about words!).

(added later): he actually said:

This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I only knew spiney, because my sister (who lives near Chartres) told me. :) Also apparently William Tell spent a lot of time there, as one of the city gates is named after him. :)

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
Amazing ........ I must get out more!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
spiney said:
Amazing ........ I must get out more!
You mean they allow you out?

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Just to add to the Newton quote discussion. Newton, who had had a bit of a twisted personality, was probably poking fun at Robert Hooke with the giant reference.

Newton has been thought to have 'borrowed' many of Hooke's and other's ideas (stole them some would say).

Newton wrote to Hooke saying If I have seen further [than you and Descartes] it is by standing upon the shoulders of Giants. This might seem like acknowledging and even thanking Hooke, except Hooke was a bit of a midget (well short anyway) and Newton was not keen on thanking people. It is likely that Newton choose those words very carefully, and Hooke took the literal meaning.

Newton may have been a great thinker, but he didn't have the personality to match.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
Newton was certainly strange, but "twisted" is wrong, although it's recently fashionable.

1) There was a priority dispute with Leibeniz, who - although his calculus notation was better, and did eventually supercede Newton's - did in fact invent his verison after Newton.

2) Hooke went around claiming he'd discovered the inverse square law of gravity. In fact, only Newton was able to prove that elliptical planetary orbits resulted from this, and his complaint about Hooke was fair enough.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
spiney said:
Newton was certainly strange, but "twisted" is wrong, although it's recently fashionable...

Maybe it is just fashionable to say that now, or maybe people are just more willing question some of his antics.

Like so many things we will never know, but there are many people who seriously doubt his character. Can't think of any significant ones off the top of my head - I'm sure there's stuff on the web about it.

An eccentric genius, most would agree, it's where he is on the boundaries between eccentricity, strangeness, and plain old nastiness where people argue.

Sorry if this is :-hijack

Marts

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gozo - Malta
PoloMint said:
Sorry if this is :-hijack

No problem at all young chap. Tomorrow I will give you Plato .. and we all know who his mentor was
conversation.gif

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
Newton might have been mature content, and possibly manic depressive. Certainly moody! He wrote loads about biblical prophecy, and spent much time on alchemical experiments. Later on, as "master of the mint" he regularly had coin forgers executed, so was responsible for killing quite a few people!

In recent years, these aspects have been much exaggerated, but it's better to see him more traditionally, as the author of Principia and Optiks.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
PaulR said:
You mean they allow you out?

I have my own key, but please don't tell them!