Quick bit of $KY help needed

sir-bob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Not yet!!!
My Location
Bristol
Since my missis has sunk my plans of a big dish until christmas I'm trying to resurrect my old sky dish with freesat. The dish and cable are existing, bought a cheapy pace receiver from fleabay. I can get 80-90% signal strength but no matter what I try I cant get a lock or any transponder ID's. I picked up a needle type signal meter and I can get full strength at about +2db. I've replaced the LNB with a new quad one. Tried all the different frequencys for 28.8E and 19.2E. My compass reckons Im pointing 34E, so with azimuth correction that should be OK. Maybe the box is knackered? I'm trying to get this sorted by 2 weeks so I can get shot of cable TV:) Should save me over a grand a year!!!

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Have you adjusted the elevation of the dish as well as the azimuth?

The signal meter may give erroneous readings when not locked on.

The cheapo meter will give a reading even if the dish is pointing at no satellites.

aba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
chaparral montery 40 fully loaded
ehcostar ad3600ipvia
3 dishes zone 2 / 1 mt motorized / 2.3 m motorized
My Location
nottingham
but what signal quility are you geting if 0 % if so then you are proberly on the wrong satellite
as to your receiver is there any one near you who is on 28 already and will let you try your receiver on there dish

sir-bob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Not yet!!!
My Location
Bristol
I'm pretty sure I'm using the meter correctley, if I change the angle or the elevation of the dish the signal drops off. I should have said that the box and dish did work for about a day but was very temperamental. It would work then drop out, then after the recent weather it just refused to come back up. This is why I swapped the LNB out. I think Ill ask a friend if I can test the box round his house.

aba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
chaparral montery 40 fully loaded
ehcostar ad3600ipvia
3 dishes zone 2 / 1 mt motorized / 2.3 m motorized
My Location
nottingham
sound daft but where the coax joins the lnb did you seak it to stop damp getting in slightest bit of damp in the coax plug is all it takes to bugger every thing up
and try reding your f plugs it only takes one strand of braid touching the centre core and that will bugger it up as well

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I think aba was on the right track with his post before last, you are probably on the wrong satellite. The dish face should be pretty much vertical for Astra 28.2 from your location.

Skyforeurope

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, 1.2 metre gilbertini and good skew :)
My Location
arboga, SWE
whenever you get a signal from your meter, go in and reset your box by unplugging it from the socket every time otherwise the box is liable to do things like that, that is almost certainly the problem here.

sky boxes are nightmarish at crashing when you're adjusting dishes.