QXL and LOOT ban Digiboxes ?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 06-Aug-02 AT 11:58 AM (GMT)]Just reading elsewhere that both of the above have acceded to Sky's wishes and now will refuse to take adverts for Sky digiboxes, although QXL still appear to be carrying a few adverts. If its true I Don't know whether its because of potential piracy, to prevent them from going abroad (can't see that happening ;) ) or that they believe a large proportrion of them are stolen. Interesting, what next, Sky will refuse to activate cards unless they are for boxes originating directly from them?

Rolf

PS. It is rumoured that Ebay will follow.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
To add tho the above, apparently they are still accepting adverts from companies, just not individuals.

rolf

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Bet this is against the EU rules, but that has never bothered Rupe in the past.

Regards

W.H.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
perhaps someone could try to place an advert, and when (presumably) refused, request to know the reason.

That info could then be passed to one or other of the UK consumer groups.

If Sky's reasoning is that the Sky contract binds the owner not to sell it on, then bear in mind that it is perfectly legal to obtain a Sky box without any Sky subscription and therefore without any such contractual obligation.

Banning advertising is therefore a simple violation of free-trade laws.

It's about time someone stamped on this little Murdoch weazel. I was hoping he'd get his come-uppance when Canal+ announced plans to sue his sleazy little empire for orchestrating the hacking of the Mediaguard encryption system... but he managed to wriggle out of that too.

2old